Handgunhunt

DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE

Posted By: REDHAWK1954

DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/22/2016 4:19 PM

I have a Ultra dot 30 and an Ultra dot 25 on a Ruger Redhawk and a Ruger Blackhawk. Neither one has a round dot. One is coma shaped and the 25 mm has two dots one above the other.

Is this normal or should they be sent back for repair?
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 4:28 AM

hmmmmm...

I don't own any but that does sound suspect.

Does your eye position have anything to do with it?

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 8:14 AM

Sometimes the shape of the dot changes with eye position but the bullet impact location does not change with eye position.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 2:36 PM

The perception of the dot may change from person to person. In my case, all of my UltraDots appear round(ish), but fuzzy. The only clear and beautifully rounded dot I ever used was on an early Aimpoint, and that was probably 30 years ago.

For me, the fuzziness I experience has never been a problem when hunting big game out to about 60 yards or so, but it results in an unsatisfactorily indistinct aiming point for small game like squirrels, so I don't use one for that purpose.

In your case, I believe I would have several other people use your dot/gun combos, and tell you how the dot looks to them. If they see commas and double dots, I'd send the optics back to the vendor. If they don't, maybe you need some vision correction. In any event, you probably will not see a perfectly distinct and sharp round dot.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 2:51 PM

Have you had anyone else look through your sights? Do the dots look the same when looked at with your other eye. Some vision issues, like astigmatism, can affect the shape of a dot. I have dots from various makers and none look perfect to me, but then my eyes are far from perfect as well.
Posted By: rob-c

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 4:45 PM

As others have said check with other eye or a buddy look at them . the dot is crisp with my left eye and slight fuzz with right , I have done a small amount of damage to my right eye .
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 7:59 PM

Are you wearing glasses when looking through the sight? If so, that is likely your problem.

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/23/2016 11:55 PM

Yes I am looking through glasses. I have progressive lenses which may be my problem. I have found that if I turn my head just right the dots become one round dot but it takes too long to find the sweet spot. I could miss an opportunity at a deer while I was trying to do that.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/24/2016 1:54 AM

I don't have any major complaints on the dot size/shape. I have found the lowest setting you can run it the crisper the dot appears. What bothers me is I can't take the brightness low enough at dawn/dusk ...
Posted By: 460man

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/26/2016 1:14 PM

My eyes have suffered age induced issues. I am near sighted(need help at distance) Tried progressives and never could get headaches to stop. I went back to a distance only lens and use a small lens in a fine wire frame for hunting and shooting. I benefit with good distance field of view and just look over the top of lens at red dot. Practice makes it second nature.

Re: DOT QUALITY ON ULTRA DOT RED DOT SCOPE - 03/28/2016 11:57 AM

460man. thanks for sharing your experience. Yesterday I tried looking through the top part of the lense on my red dot, which is for distance but I was still having problems finding the sweet spot where I saw only one dot until I closed my left eye and suddenly I was saw only one round dot.

I tried this with both of my red dots and it worked on both of them. I guess I will just have to start shooting with my left eye closed.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums