Handgunhunt

Snap Caps

Posted By: 4MAG4

Snap Caps - 04/09/2016 3:39 AM

Has anyone ever used snap caps for dry fire training? Specifically with large caliber revolvers. If so, what is your thoughts on this subject matter?
Posted By: junebug

Re: Snap Caps - 04/09/2016 3:24 PM

I try to always have something under the hammer for support.Are they necessary for a revolver? I really don't know but why take the chance of fatigeing the transfer bar and have it fail at the wrong time.I have broken one Ruger transfer bar .Some guns realy need the support like the Encores and G2 Contenders or you damage the firing pin springs.My Savage Striker does not get snapped without a snap cap as I have broken a fireing pin retainer on that one,which locked the bolt shut.I think they are cheap insurance. Just be double cautious dry firing as there are holes in walls,ceilings, floors and mirrows all over the world from snapping an [EMPTY GUN]
Posted By: FAH

Re: Snap Caps - 04/09/2016 4:54 PM

I use snap caps for dry practice ( no live ammo) all the time especially with my Freedom Arm's revolvers. Saves on the firing pin and ensures that no live ammo sneaks in there.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Snap Caps - 04/09/2016 4:57 PM

yep, Freedom Arms highly suggests them. I have been using the A-Zoom brand and they are red, so also easily identifiable when checking the firearm (I still do this EVERY time even though in my head, I know that I stored it with the snap caps)I don't get to shoot at the range as much as I would like, so I do a lot of dry firing, and I can tell you for certain that it helps you acquire your sight picture faster and easier, and your trigger squeeze and form improves if you don't get sloppy while practicing
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Snap Caps - 04/09/2016 4:58 PM

FAH beat me to the punch! LOL
Posted By: bosshawg

Re: Snap Caps - 04/14/2016 6:11 PM

As I wait for the return of my 44 from Ruger......I asked Ruger yesterday regarding snap caps...their opinion was to NOT use plastic primer designed snap caps......they also stated that for Ruger, dry firing sans snap caps is ok...they preferred the dummy loads if snap caps are chosen.
Posted By: 4MAG4

Re: Snap Caps - 04/16/2016 5:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums