Handgunhunt

Necessary hunting equipment

Posted By: reflex264

Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 1:26 AM

Posted By: Teep

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 2:07 AM

I learned better than that. As you get old things change, I took one fishing with me one cold winter day and spent the rest of the morning hiking into the woods to pull down my waders. Well, maybe squirrel hunting though.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 2:26 AM

I'd have to add a good knife and some muffs.
As I get older it doesn't seem like I can get by that simply any more. Oh for the good old days!
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 10:18 AM

lets not forget our pipe tobacco and lighter.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 2:23 PM

I have added Electronic Muffs. I can hear much better, and I do not need any more hearing damage than I did years ago running Hammer Drills doing construction work.
I take a bottle of water, not a coffee drinker.

Bob
Posted By: KRal

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 9:37 PM

I no longer take a thermos full of coffee to the woods (don't even drink it if I'm planning any shoot'n). I learn't shoot'n in competition that the octane in that there good juice dramatically effects the bullet once it leaves the barrel.

Two thing I don't go to woods without: handgun of choice; and hearing protection. I prefer electronic muffs for hunting, but have backup ear plugs stashed everywhere. Many other things usually go with me, but I don't go without those two.
Posted By: Boot

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 9:58 PM

Concerning the electronic muffs, can those of you who use them, generally distinguish the direction of sounds? I've never used a set.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/29/2016 11:35 PM

I use them, and won't leave home without them when shooting. Yes, you can distinguish direction perfectly fine. I use the predator golds, and liked them so much I got my wife some. We WILL NOT shoot our guns without them. They cost a bit more than some of the other models out there, but they have been worth every penny to us. Never an issue with them.
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/30/2016 2:36 AM

I'm with reflex! If I'm in a box stand waiting on a whitetail or hog, I've got a Stanley thermos along.
\:D
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/30/2016 2:51 AM

I second a knife and earmuffs/plugs. A good pair of binoculars is also a nice addition.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/30/2016 3:23 PM

Quote:
A good pair of binoculars is also a nice addition.

I never leave the shack without them.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 11/30/2016 4:17 PM

This is one piece of equipment that I never leave the house without. In fact, the unit on the left I just retired after more than 12 years of faithful service.

Posted By: RedSS

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 12/05/2016 8:02 AM

1. Right back pack filled with right food.
2. Right clothes.
3. Bino's
4. Sticks
5. Box of cheapie earplugs stashed in every pocket
6. handgun-of-the-day

In that order is how I pack. I always have 2 knives and 2 lights and extra ammo to assist. Clean, and efficient.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 12/05/2016 2:02 PM

Yes you can tell direction, atleast with some. I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. Not only can I tell direction, I can crank them up to hear much better than without them. Then you have the added benefit of noise reduction when you shoot.

I have a higher dollar pair that I just wear at the range because they do not amplify sound past normal hearing.

Another thing not mentioned so far is brightly colored Marker Tape. I like Neon Green pretty well in my area. Very useful on those shots when the deer went out of sight after the shot. Not needed every year, but very handy to have when you do need it.

No one mentioned Toilet Paper so far either. A partial roll in a zip loc bag can be very important at times. Get all the air out of the zip loc and rubber band into a small package.

With my CVA Optima Pistol I carry a small zipper Gun Case with 3 Extra Saboted Bullets, 3 Powder Charges in a Speed Loader along with 4 each 209 Primers. Plus the Ram Rod Extension, and the Primer Removal Tool just incase I have a pesky primer. If you have the tool you will never need it. Insurance!

A Laser Range Finder is handy now and again hunting from a stand. On longer shots with a handgun, it can be handy to know the range. I normally only pack it in one time.

Bob
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 12/05/2016 3:11 PM

The thermocell is a miracle worker during turkey season. Wont leave home without it.
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: Necessary hunting equipment - 12/05/2016 10:38 PM

I've debated this very thing from my couch to the tailgate of my truck. It's all situational; am I going to the box stand or climber, will I sit on the ground or find a creek bed for a hide, 100 yards + or bowhunting situation? For me, each stand is different and my ditty bag is large or small enough to make it happen.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums