Handgunhunt

Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk?

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/27/2016 9:57 PM

After shooting my 41 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk a few times, I decided that it could use an optic to shoot it more accurately, since I'm not that good with open sights. Earlier this year, Whitworth mentioned that Weigand offers a no-drill mini mount designed for small reflex style red dot. I've considered an Ultradot L/T and Leupold Deltapoint, and my local store had a Vortex Venom that looked pretty nice.

What sight would you recommend?
Posted By: Boot

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/27/2016 10:43 PM

I have several Burris Fastfire 3 units on a few different guns. None have ever given me a bit of trouble. The one on my SBHH 44 was dropped (with the gun) and never lost zero, despite bending the aluminum frame of the sight a bit. I am quite pleased with the Fastfire 3.
As a side note, the Weigand mini mount you mentioned just arrived at my house to go on a Blackhawk 357. I haven't installed the mount yet, but it will wear a FF3 when I get time to put it all together.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/27/2016 11:59 PM

I'm quite interested in that particular mount ... do let us know your thoughts on how solid it is.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/28/2016 12:56 AM

I've been using both that mount and the Ultradot L/T for some time now on a .45 Colt that has been fed a steady diet of heavy loads for some time now. So far so good.....

Posted By: Seminole Wind

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/28/2016 2:58 AM

The mini mount and an Eotech MRDS has been great on a SBH with 300 gr cast bullets at 1250 fps.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/28/2016 2:46 PM

I like the JPoint reflex sight. They have a mount that fits all Ruger revolvers, both single and double action.

Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/28/2016 4:09 PM

I tested a JPoint and it didn't hold up well. I like the clean mount, though.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/28/2016 9:55 PM

I had a JPoint mounted on a SRH .454 which took a lot of rounds without problem. I've also had another one mounted on the slide of a Glock 34 which has lasted countless thousand rounds. Its a sight I like a lot.
That being said I know there are some people who have experience problems. By the same token, I'm unaware of any brand/type of sight that hasn't had some failures (including iron sights).
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/28/2016 10:57 PM

I've had an Optima2000 (predecessor to the JPoint) riding the slide of a 1911 for I don't know how many rounds and it is running strong. Also had one on my Bisley 45 Colt for a number of years holding up to a lot of max H110 loads, until I swapped it for a 1x scope. They work well, and yes not every sight is infallible.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/29/2016 12:05 AM

For what it is worth, I had a FF3 on my 41 Magnum and it lasted 50 rounds.

My next move will be the trijicon RMR dual illuminated sight, I believe.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/29/2016 4:11 AM

I really like my SeeAll Nite. There's a little learning curve with it, but the tritium makes it usable 24/7. Were I to buy another revolver, it's the sight I'll install ... hence my interest in the new Weigand Mount.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Which reflex dot sight for a 41 Mag Blackhawk? - 12/29/2016 5:24 PM

My JPoint has been on my custom 510 GNR (shortened 500 Linebaugh) for 4 years and I've never had an issue. I shoot 385 grain LBT's at 1300 fps.
I also have a JPoint on a Glock 20SF that has absorbed close to 1000 rounds with no problems. If you buy enough stuff, you'll eventually get a lemon from any manufacturer.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums