Handgunhunt

frustration at dsc

Posted By: tradmark

frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 6:50 PM

so, just a rant, but i can clearly see what is wrong with our whole industry. i started out the dsc convention going to see the guys at swift bullets. had a nice light hearted talk, bought some bullets and asked if i was ever gonna be able to buy 400gr aframes for a 50 cal. the guy laughed and said "it aint gonna happen!" they went to telling me how they aren't gonna sell, blah blah blah and he asked what am i basing my thoughts on that they should offer it. i proceeded to point him to forum after forum where shooters of the 50 cal handguns want a bigger aframe. he then proceeded to tell me how the smith 460 has too bad of recoil and i told him it's not that bad out of my 4 3/4" 454 (when comparing to the 300gr) he then scoffed and said it's not the same league as the 8 3/8" 460 in recoil, which we all know is ludicrous. after him telling me for about 10 minutes what i want and not listening to what i actually want i walked away. this happened at vendor after vendor. gary got the same tx from remington. my wife booked a safari and we had all the gun makers telling her what she wanted, not listening to what she actually did want. all in all a very frustrating industry to be apart of. in motorcycles the manufacturers listen or they go out of business. in guns and hunting they've reversed this somehow. just a rant.
Posted By: Zee

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 7:07 PM

"The world is what you make of it, friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations." - Name that movie.
Posted By: Boot

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 9:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Zee
"The world is what you make of it, friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations." - Name that movie.

Silverado?
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 9:53 PM

Maybe the problem is that for the last 8 years the panic buying was so great that manufacturers were able to sell anything that hit the shelves, no matter how crappy. Add to that the problem of believing their own marketing hype (including bought and paid for 'gun writers').

In a free economy, the first rule of business is that ignoring your customers is the quickest way to cease being in business.
Posted By: N-Frame

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
Maybe the problem is that for the last 8 years the panic buying was so great that manufacturers were able to sell anything that hit the shelves, no matter how crappy. Add to that the problem of believing their own marketing hype (including bought and paid for 'gun writers').

In a free economy, the first rule of business is that ignoring your customers is the quickest way to cease being in business.

What he said,- in spades.
The Industry has grown cocky because demand has out striped supply for so long.

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Boot

Silverado?

BAM!! Give that man the prize!!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 10:32 PM

This is the problem in my opinion, and like most times I voice my opinion, someone gets upset, but I'm don't care....we live in a world where the old timers could shoot and handle recoil, but they are all passing on now...hence the big 10mm craze, yes, it works, but it's just a +P version of a 40 short & weak....there is NO Way in Hell any of the old timers would ever recommend using this little round even with special bullets for Cape Buffalo or any other game over 300 pounds. I am surprised every day with grown men who have problems with handling a 44 Mag or a 45 Colt's recoil....I know plenty of young men and women who can, but it's not the norm these days....the big bore handgun market is a very small market, very small. It's all marketing....if the recoil of a 10mm is all that most can handle, then that's what they going to make and try to sell...hence why Razor Dobbs doesn't use a 500 S&W or a 416 Taylor...y'all, just think of how many heavyweight bullets that we used to use have been dropped, or are never available.....basically, what I'm saying is that the world is getting SOFT.....
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 10:40 PM

Quote:
.....basically, what I'm saying is that the world is getting SOFT.....

In more ways than one, my friend
;\)

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 10:49 PM

Rod, you are hilarious 😂👌

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 11:08 PM

Or, some realize the same can be accomplished with less. No?

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 11:16 PM

I know that Polar Bears are killed with 22's, but.....Really??? There is honestly no comparison...and you know it.....a 10mm with whatever kind of bullet will not penetrate and create the muscle, bone, and tissue damage of "better" handgun hunting rounds....if you feel confident shooting larger game than deer with a 10mm have fun man 👍🏻 The majority of what's selling is definitely the lesser of calibers.

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 11:19 PM

Isn't there a current thread where folks are defending a dude's choice on killing a cape buff with a 10mm?

That don't mean it would be my first choice. But, if you handed me a 10mm and a proper bullet............promised to hold my beer and watch........I'd probably try.

:-)

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 11:33 PM

Have at man! That's all marketing too.....paid to use a gun, paid to use a certain easy recoiling gun, and a paid spokesman for the combo....bet I'd say it too 😉, but I bet if we actually watched how it really went down, we'd probably feel a little different. This goes back to what sells, because it is all that most can handle.

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/09/2017 11:43 PM

I bet Swift will next come out with the new, ultimate 10mm auto bullet for the Big Five.....sound crazy? Bet it will sell Mark, but that 400 gr. .500 bullet, no way 😂 It's all what will sell, and make them the most money

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 12:02 AM

i told the guy that i thought they'd sell more 400's than 325's. who the hell shoots aframes anyway, pretty much guys that kill big stuff. don't know alot that target shoot with it. anyway, on a side note, razor dobbs is a nice guy and did run into him. the hardcast solids were all on the offside hide and really seemed to do that buff in pretty well. on that note i think we have all prolly not gotten all we could out of any given caliber due to faulty bullet selection. i will be posting some results of my cousins 357. waaaaay more impressive than most would guess, but that new lehigh solid is pretty impressive.

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 12:10 AM

I know that you know what I'm talking about though Mark...I'm sure he's cool, but my statements were more about trying to make what is selling work, versus actually producing what would be better, just not the (hype) or craze.

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 1:06 AM

I do, just letting everyone know hes not the typical tv
Moron. And ur right, it would seem that someone out there could get a ruger 454/480 and/or 44 mag on tv. I just really get tired of being told what i want by some turd at a company that doesnt know half of what i do about revolver hunting.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 1:08 AM

Originally Posted By: tradmark
I do, just letting everyone know hes not the typical tv
Moron. And ur right, it would seem that someone out there could get a ruger 454/480 and/or 44 mag on tv. I just really get tired of being told what i want by some turd at a company that doesnt know half of what i do about revolver hunting.

Trust me when I say we've been trying to push this agenda for some time. It's not easy when we can't even put up a united front when we are so divided even within this tiny niche we occupy.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 1:49 AM

Originally Posted By: N-Frame
 Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup

What he said,- in spades.
The Industry has grown cocky because demand has out striped supply for so long.

^This.^

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 1:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
It's not easy when we can't even put up a united front when we are so divided even within this tiny niche we occupy.

This.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 2:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
It's not easy when we can't even put up a united front when we are so divided even within this tiny niche we occupy.

This.

^That too.^
Posted By: Gary

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/10/2017 10:33 PM

I'll say this - at least Dan Wesson is sponsoring a guy hunting with a handgun. What other manufacturer is doing that?

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/11/2017 12:06 AM

very true. very very good point! case closed.
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: frustration at dsc - 01/11/2017 12:38 AM

World is getting soft. Check.
Tail is wagging the dog. Check.
"They" know better. Check.
Squabble about minutia while anti's attack form all side. Check

I used to work in state government. We all joked about the "we're the State and we're here to help you." mantra when in reality it's "Shut up, this is what you're going to do and what you're going to like."

Somewhat unrelated but the goofy grin and upturned pistol held along side his head is just....disturbing.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums