Handgunhunt

Coating a stainless revolver

Posted By: smitts

Coating a stainless revolver - 01/10/2017 4:47 AM

Hi guys, I need some help. I've got a fair amount of revolvers, from .22 up to .44magnum, none of which are stainless. I have a chance to purchase a BFR .44magnum at a very fair price. I'm just not a fan of stainless guns, is there anything out there that can be done, a coating that would hold up over time? I tend to hang on to my firearms, so I'm not to concerned about resale, but I don't want something that will chip or wear off. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking? Thanks.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 01/10/2017 10:21 AM

I think that if you really do not like stainless you should look for another deal, but if you are not really sure you owe it to yourself to try one revolver in SS and this gun would be a good one to try.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 01/10/2017 10:27 AM

nothing looks as good as blue steel and even cheap wood , let alone good looking wood. thy look even better after use honest use. i cant recommend a coating but suggest you give the ss a try. they shine in bad weather, hard use, sweat, salt air..... of course you still have to clean and take care of them. hated my first ss gun, after a while it kind of grows on ya. love blue steel but for a working gun i"ll take stainless.
Posted By: freedom475

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 01/10/2017 2:32 PM

http://www.bragginrightsguns.com/cerakote/

You might like some of these offerings.
Posted By: N-Frame

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 01/10/2017 6:07 PM

You can in fact blue stainless steel but it requires a different type of salt to do the bluing (OXYNATE NO. 84). You may have to do some looking to find a shop that is set up to do this.
I also much prefer blued steel revolvers but I have learned to accept the stainless ones.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 01/10/2017 10:19 PM

While I like the practicality of stainless, I'm not a fan of shinny surfaces. I was thinking of someday going down the cerakote route. The more I looked at it the more long term downsides I saw.
Recently I saw a Ruger Single Six which had been glass bead blasted. All the practicality of stainless with a non-glare matt finish. Perfect for hunting. May or may not be what you're after, but certainly worth looking into.
Posted By: 475

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 03/16/2017 3:42 PM

Had my s s dan Wesson valor done in a hard hat finish by a 1911 smith, its super hard not applied on finish but chemically changes to black. His name is Dave Severens Customs
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 03/21/2017 7:59 PM

I've used several coatings and Cerakote is by far the best. It is extremely tough. Although I have never used it when I was buying my bluing salts they had a version for stainless steel. I have no idea what the finish is like but the up side to it over other coatings is you don't have to glass bead it first so it maintains it smooth polished surface.
Posted By: FAH

Re: Coating a stainless revolver - 03/22/2017 4:35 PM

Gents, I have several of my SS guns coated with Cerakote.
The best coating company is MAD Custom Coating in Bremerton, Washington.
I have them do my revolvers, except FA's (to tight), auto's and my rifles.
The cerakote is an absolute corrosive resistant finish and you can get it in any color and pattern. Its a way to protect and personalize my guns. I highly recommend these guys madcustomcoating.com
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums