Handgunhunt

Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/23/2017 3:39 AM

Just wondering, what do you guys use to clean your cartridge brass? I've been using crushed walnut media. While it gets the brass pretty clean, it leaves an ample amount of red dust on the brass and every nearby surface, such as my hands, clothes, and plastic containers. If I switch to corn cob media, will it clean as well while not leaving dust all over the place? Alternatively, is there a way to reduce the amount of dust produced by the walnut media?
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/23/2017 3:41 AM

Actually I use a 50/50 mix of both.....
Best of both worlds and keeps down the walnut dust.
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/23/2017 3:49 AM

I've used the green corn cob media from Lyman. It cleans well enough though I've never tried the walnut.

Disclaimer, my experience with tumbling brass is limited to:

1) A 4" capped PVC tube filled with brass and media then placed on the treadmill for a couple of hours. I've used that for the last year or so though not often while the wife was home--it's a bit noisy.

2) My Aunt and Uncle gave me a Franklin Arsenal tumbler for Christmas and I've been tumbling twice the brass in half the time since.
Posted By: N-Frame

Re: Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/23/2017 4:14 AM

Does the walnut have a polishing agent on it or is untreated?
I spread out some news paper and turn on a fan and slowly pour the media through the air steam and the fines are blown to one side of the paper, and I just brush them away.(do this outside)
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/23/2017 6:00 AM

I used to use walnut media. I found about a spoonful of kerosene (about spoon full) in the mix stopped the dust issue.

These days I've gone over to the water and stainless steel pin method which gives far superior results. Just have to make sure you thoroughly dry out the cases before reloading. I use either hot weather or an hour tumbling in walnut to do the final dry. As a plus, if you decap prior to cleaning, then even the primer pockets get cleaned.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/23/2017 5:14 PM

I used to use the walnut media followed by the corn cob media. Too much work. Shooting single actions it seemed that I did not have to do both. Just the corn cob media.
Now this is JMHO and that is tighter cylinders and correct bullets sizes may have helped with things like the blowback burns and such.
Nowadays things can be easier with the liquid or the SS pins. For those shooting a 17 caliber, the liquid is the way to go. The liquid cleans inside better and is like loading new brass. Some folks think that the results as a whole, (inside and out) make a difference.
Posted By: freedom475

Re: Cleaning brass - crushed walnut vs. corn cob media - 01/24/2017 5:12 PM

I used a tumbler for over 25 years with every kind of media you can think of including porcelain....Do yourself a favor get a Sonic. Even if the brass is not shiny..it is clean.

If you think you need bright brass, 15 minutes in the Lyman Green treated corncob, after the sonic, will have your brass looking like jewelry ...but what ever you do stay away from the Red treated media...that rouge will do you, or your gun NO favors.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums