Handgunhunt

Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100

Posted By: TXBRASS

Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/13/2017 10:14 PM

My buddy Mike is a magician in a machine shop and converted a standard Choate Ultimate Varmint stock designed to fit a Rem700 SA to now fit a XP100 that will be set-up as a rear grip rig.
Mike doesn't brag about his work, but it is second to none and I felt this project and the craftsmanship he put into it, should be documented and displayed for all to see. My hat is off to you Mike!

Cant wait to get it and get this project finalized, load development polished and see what she can do!

First he built a mock receiver that's longer than the stock to attach the bedding block to along with the front pillar.

Opened up stock for bedding block:

Devcon'd the bedding block into the stock:

Two 3/8" diameter cross pins through the bedding block and chassis:

Evened up ejection port contour on stock:

More to come in the next week or 2....
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/14/2017 2:55 AM

Interesting. I have a Remington 700ML that I'd love to convert to Specialty Pistol. This would be part of that project.

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/17/2017 12:23 AM

Choate showed up yesterday so I got to work. Chopped her in all the right places to transition from a rifle stock to a Specialty Pistol rig.

Filled the voids in the grip and under the barrel channel with some brass bar stock, steel BB's, and a lot of Devcon.

Gr the bipod rail Devcon'd into place and once that was set, Devcon'd 2 bolts thru that, down thru the aluminum bedding block and into the brass bar.

Total weight of empty stock now is 5 pounds 6oz.
Posted By: karl

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/17/2017 1:56 PM

That should hold things tight. The guy who built the wood forend for my encore recommend against a bipod stud in that setup due to recoil. This looks like it should hold up well.

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/18/2017 9:56 PM

finish work....

test fit...all is good!

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/20/2017 2:51 AM

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 04/24/2017 3:56 AM

Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 05/12/2017 11:09 AM

Somewhere I was reading another post where they used a Savage action on the build using a Choate Stock. As expensive as bolt action handgun stocks are, the Choate looks like a very good, and affordable option. Using a new action Remington 700 or Clone or a Savage should be even less work to get the Choate stock converted to specialty handgun.

Bob

Re: Converting Choate Ultimate Varmint to fit a XP-100 - 05/12/2017 7:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Roach
Somewhere I was reading another post where they used a Savage action on the build using a Choate Stock. As expensive as bolt action handgun stocks are, the Choate looks like a very good, and affordable option. Using a new action Remington 700 or Clone or a Savage should be even less work to get the Choate stock converted to specialty handgun.

Bob

I did that too with an undesignated Rem700 action and built a .308... Love that rig!

© 2024 Handgunhunt forums