Handgunhunt

Super Blackhawk question

Posted By: adktripper

Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 7:08 PM

Hi All,

I'm a new member and long time bow hunter and I'm looking to pickup a 44 mag for hunting. Mostly I will use this for black bear hunting. I will be spot and stalk hunting and tree stand hunting no bait.

Question is does the regular super Blackhawk come drilled and tapped for a scope/red dot sight mount? I'm thinking of going red dot.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 7:39 PM

Originally Posted By: adktripper
Hi All,

I'm a new member and long time bow hunter and I'm looking to pickup a 44 mag for hunting. Mostly I will use this for black bear hunting. I will be spot and stalk hunting and tree stand hunting no bait.

Question is does the regular super Blackhawk come drilled and tapped for a scope/red dot sight mount? I'm thinking of going red dot.

They do not come drilled and tapped. There are no drill, no tap sight base options available from Weigand. BFRs come drilled and tapped and come with a sight base. I only mention this as the BFR is another option that is just a bit more expensive.

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 7:57 PM

Thanks Whitworth. I was looking at the BFRs also, but I haven't found the 44 available in the 7.5" barrel and it is at the high end of my budget. The 45-70 in 10" I can get, and I was considering it.

BTW I have your book on the way.

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 8:26 PM

Originally Posted By: adktripper
Thanks Whitworth. I was looking at the BFRs also, but I haven't found the 44 available in the 7.5" barrel and it is at the high end of my budget. The 45-70 in 10" I can get, and I was considering it.

BTW I have your book on the way.

Excellent! Which book, my new one?

I have a .45/70 BFR and I love it! Keep in mind that it's rather big, it I have yet to meet one that doesn't shoot!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 9:49 PM

Quote:
Question is does the regular super Blackhawk come drilled and tapped for a scope/red dot sight mount?

Like Max said, they don't come D&T'd but it is an easy DIY job. The drill and tap can be bought for about $15 from Midway or other outlet. I did my own using the Weigand base in about a half hour and it is solid as a rock.

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 10:31 PM

Thanks guys.

Max, yes the new book.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/08/2017 11:30 PM

If looking at one with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, look for a Super Blackhawk Hunter. This model comes with dovetails and rings for using a scope or a red dot. Available as Bisley or standard SBH grip frame
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/09/2017 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: ruger4570
If looking at one with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, look for a Super Blackhawk Hunter. This model comes with dovetails and rings for using a scope or a red dot. Available as Bisley or standard SBH grip frame
x2
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/09/2017 12:32 AM

Congrats, and let me be the first to WELCOME you to the site since the other guys above me were all to rude to do so! HAHA! Just kidding guys!!

Great choice on the Ruger. Tougher than nails, and if ya change your mind down the road, and want to enter the realm of big bores, you can always have a custom rebuild done on that frame! HAHA!! Again, just kidding 44 mag lovers!

The Super Blackhawk is my favorite. It's all I want to mess with any more.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/09/2017 2:39 PM

Allow me to be the second to say welcome! Have you considered which red dot you want?

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/09/2017 5:26 PM

Thanks all. Haven't considered which red dot yet. I'm also considering an encore set up.
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/09/2017 7:00 PM

And I will be the third...Welcome and prepare to part with your money...Guys on here will corrupt you in a good way.
Posted By: thadf

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/10/2017 7:39 PM

If you're thinking of an Encore or a Blackhawk, might as well accept the idea that you'll get no rest until you have both. That's a fact you can take to the bank!!

It's an affliction that is impossible to shake. No matter what you tell yourself, you NEED both. Completely different styles of hunting.

Good luck

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/10/2017 8:13 PM

Originally Posted By: thadf
If you're thinking of an Encore or a Blackhawk, might as well accept the idea that you'll get no rest until you have both. That's a fact you can take to the bank!!

It's an affliction that is impossible to shake. No matter what you tell yourself, you NEED both. Completely different styles of hunting.

Good luck

I have managed to "resist" the temptation of an Encore for many years.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/11/2017 1:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Good luck

jump in!

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/11/2017 2:06 AM

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Good luck

jump in!

Not gonna happen!
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Super Blackhawk question - 05/11/2017 10:01 PM

I did the encore thing with the 460 Smith and Wesson. Although it was one of the most accurate long distance (200+ yards) handguns I ever had, I don't think I'll do it again. Jack Huntington revolvers are way to much fun.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums