Handgunhunt

Grail Gun!!!

Posted By: Zee

Grail Gun!!! - 05/20/2017 9:32 PM

The back story to this is that ernie and I were talking on the phone back early fall of last year. Mentioning that I was somewhat uninspired by any current guns on the market, told him about a childhood desire I had.

I'd always been enamored and lusted after a Pachmayr Dominator. Ever since reading articles by Bob Milek back in the 80s and seeing pictures of him hunting with one. It was a Grail gun I'd never acquired.

Well, turns out Ernie had the same desire.

About a week later, he calls me and informs me that he now had 3 Dominators!!!! Three!!!!! Seems after our conversation, he went to searching on GB for Dominators. He found thee and put bids on them. Amazingly, winning all of them.

Being Dominator rich, he asked if I wanted one of them. Well, duh!!!

I chose the .35 Remington with as close to original parts for the era as could be had. It also sported an older Burris 2-7x pistol scope and Burris rings and bases.

It looked like a spitting image image of my childhood Grail gun!!!

Ernie being Ernie, he offered to send it to me immediately. But, I told him to wait. Well, my patience finally ran out and it's mine now.

I immediately took the 2-7x Burris off the gun. It's an excellent scope. Much better than their current pistol scope. It has a clearer picture and greater eye relief than my modern era 2-7x Burris. This old gal will go on my .243 Winchester SP.

Therefore, I mounted a nice 4x Weaver pistol scope I had on my shelf onto the Dominator. For my intended use with this gun, the 4x is perfect in compactness and magnification. I'm in love!

I plan to load up some 158gr Hornady XTP bullets and see how they shoot. Down the road, I might get some 180gr Spire Point bullets to give her a little more leg. But, I have no intention of making her something she is not. This is a classic Grail gun in a classic chambering that I plan on living and caring for the rest of my life. She will take deer and pigs and be pampered.

Three handguns haunted my childhood dreams.

HK PSP/P7
7.5" Ruger Redhawk
Pachmayr Dominator

I have finally, in my adulthood, acquired all theee.

My cup runneth over.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/20/2017 9:35 PM

Enabler, I am!
\:\)

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/20/2017 9:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
Enabler, I am!

Think about it, though. Who enabled who?

I mentioned them to you on the phone. Next thing we know.........you had three!!!

I think I get the Enabler Award.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/20/2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Zee
Enabler, I am!

Think about it, though. Who enabled who?

I mentioned them to you on the phone. Next thing we know.........you had three!!!

I think I get the Enabler Award.

Probably so
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/20/2017 11:12 PM

That's one fine firearm, Zee! You've got some good friends.
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/21/2017 12:12 AM

Enabler, I am!

Enabler maybe Ernie but in my book I'd call you one hell of a good and honorable friend....You did a good thing...Not many people like you left in this world....

Charlie
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/21/2017 1:28 AM

What a classic! Have you seen or do you own Hal Swiggets video on handgun hunting featuring the Dominator?
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/21/2017 1:31 AM

Nice gun Zee! Back in the day -- I enjoyed shooting with Hal Swiggett on the Y.O. Ranch. One of the many guns we shot was his Dominator.

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/21/2017 1:32 AM

Originally Posted By: cmnash
What a classic! Have you seen or do you own Hal Swiggets video on handgun hunting featuring the Dominator?

Not familiar with that one.
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/21/2017 4:09 PM

I went and found my vhs copy of Hals video from 1987 and watched this morning. It is an 80's classic like the Dominator it features. (That synthesizer music though) The 60 min film includes about 6 or 7 kill shots with several Dominators and about 10 mins of Dominator tech talk with the Pachmayr engineer.
Send me a PM with a mailing address and I will send it your way so you can enjoy.
P.S. Smart choice on calibers-35 Rem is a favorite of mine.

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/21/2017 7:52 PM

Wow! Much grats!!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/22/2017 2:47 AM

That is an exceptional looking piece ... like brand new.

Grats and enjoy!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/22/2017 4:24 AM

Interesting.......I special ordered this one in 30-30 when Pachmyer first made them..... Watched Hal Swigetts tape so much the tape broke....
I picked up my latest Dominator ( 7-08 ) from a friend in Texas..Shoots factory ammo pretty darn good.....Its amazing how old things can be resurrected from the past but unlike the hula hoop this one costs a little more.....I knew I was`ent the only one on this planet to like them.......Nice too see you also like the Dominator....
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/22/2017 5:53 AM

James..What the heck is that at the top of the photo ?
Looks like a gun without the trigger.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/22/2017 6:40 AM

Charlie, That`s takes a 1911 lower and it becomes a 45acp carbine. I did a small article on "Double Duty" handguns in the member article that explains it better.... keep smiling
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Grail Gun!!! - 05/23/2017 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: AK hgunner1
James..What the heck is that at the top of the photo ?
Looks like a gun without the trigger.

It's a http://mechtechsys.com/
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums