Handgunhunt

Chronograph

Posted By: bscott

Chronograph - 03/31/2018 2:01 AM

Looking for suggestions for a good chronograph. I plan on doing a lot of load testing this summer.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 2:08 AM

A simple CHRONY brand told me all i wanted to know......the velocity. You can get fancier bells n whistles if you want. 😉

Havnt had it out in yrs, but im keeping it.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 2:19 AM

I've got a Competition Electronics Prochrono Digital. It's simple and fairly inexpensive, but it gets the job done.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 3:15 AM

Depends entirely upon what you want to do as far as accuracy and if you want interaction with a phone. I have a Chrony and it is only within 5% of accuracy. Good enough for me and what I do. I don't use a smart phone and I am not into needing an app for the chronograph. I have seen the Magneto and the Dopplar radar. Some guys are wealthy LOL those toys,, they are cool and accurate but Magneto is for rifles and the Dopplar radar is too expensive. Might want it if you shot Long range competition, or Benchrest.
Two most important things is velocity and Standard deviation.
I like to know the standard deviation since usually a load that has smaller deviation is more accurate. Most will do both.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 12:08 PM

I have used the Competition Electronics ProChrono for 27 years and never had an issues. I also have an Oehler 35P with three skyscreens. I only use it when I need super accurate data on subsonic rounds.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 12:21 PM

I have an Oehler 35P and it is a fine piece of equipment. That said, it is a bit of a pain to set up with all of the components. Also tried using one indoors and was unsuccessful as the lighting was insufficient.
Posted By: Buck_358

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 12:44 PM

For years I used a Pact Model 1, while it still works it is aging. Pact does not offer any replacement parts for this model. I begun to look for a replacement. Last spring, I chose the Lab Radar and have used it extensively with handgun, rifle, Contender and Encore pistols from 22 caliber to 50 B&M AK. No skyscreens to align in front of you, no more lighting or weather concerns. I set the Radar up on a tripod to the right of gun of choice align to the target and begin. You can set your displayed distance for velocity 10, 25, 50, 75, 100 yards as an example. While this is the displayed distance for quick visual reference it tracks the bullet and logs this in a CSV file. Smaller caliber bullets 22 ? 284 track to ~75 yards, larger caliber have tracked out to 110 yards. It provides the shot string averages, SD, ES. I am very happy with it.
B..
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 1:47 PM

I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master. The "master" just means you get a small remote box that shows the readout so you can have that on the bench right in front of you. Well worth the $20 or so difference in cost, IMO.
Posted By: Seminole Wind

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 3:36 PM

My Competition Electronics Chrono does everything I need. I sure have enjoyed the remote control since I added it after years of walking back and forth to change strings.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Chronograph - 03/31/2018 6:11 PM

I have a Caldwell Chronograph and a MagnetoSpeed. One is cheap the other is not. They both tell me speed. Which........is what I?m after, I guess.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Chronograph - 04/01/2018 1:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bscott
Looking for suggestions for a good chronograph. I plan on doing a lot of load testing this summer.

Budget?
Are accurate SD and ES important, o r are you just looking for speed info?
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Chronograph - 04/01/2018 4:44 PM

Been using an Oehler 35P for over 30 years.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Chronograph - 04/01/2018 9:50 PM

Originally Posted By: KYODE
A simple CHRONY brand told me all i wanted to know......the velocity. You can get fancier bells n whistles if you want.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Chronograph - 04/01/2018 11:37 PM

Oehler 35P for me as well. Absolutely love it. Have guys calling me all the time asking if I want to go shoot, just so I'll bring it along. If my Oehler 35P ever goes down, I'll never work up new loads till it gets fixed.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Chronograph - 04/03/2018 9:17 PM

Oehler 35P. Worth every penny. Buy the best and cry only once.
Posted By: bscott

Re: Chronograph - 04/07/2018 9:59 AM

Just speed info
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums