Handgunhunt

Revolver Scope Positioning

Posted By: short30

Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/11/2018 1:07 PM

What are the thoughts on the scope mounting position? Pros or cons or just impressions? For example looks like most SBH, MR BFR and FA's have a more rearward mount with scope over the cylinder/grip, SBH Hunters have mount that allows forward scope position. I do see where Weigand and others have bases to help push them forward, what do you like and why, thanks
Posted By: Zee

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/11/2018 1:24 PM

I prefer forward mounting of scopes on revolvers. The weight distribution and aesthetic appearance are more agreeable to me.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/11/2018 2:14 PM

I DO NOT HAVE ENUFF EXPERIENCE WITH THE RUGER HUNTER MODEL FORWARD MOUNTING STYLE TO COMPARE, BUT I HAVE NO COMLAINTS WITH MY REARWARD STYLE FA REVOLVERS
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/11/2018 2:27 PM

I prefer my optics to be located over the cylinder. I had a Bisley Hunter and did not like the scope on the barrel at all. Threw the whole balance off for me. That gun went down the road. Weigand makes a mount to set the scope rearward on the Hunters but I didn't want all the extra junk on there.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/12/2018 3:29 AM

As gun recoils back, force is on the scope to move forward. For this, regardless of forward or aft position, I mount scope with the vertical adjustment turret against the forward ring. I have had both mounting positions and can't decide which I like best.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/12/2018 8:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ruger4570
As gun recoils back, force is on the scope to move forward. For this, regardless of forward or aft position, I mount scope with the vertical adjustment turret against the forward ring. I have had both mounting positions and can't decide which I like best.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/15/2018 1:41 AM

I put them on however I can get them, but I think it looks a bit better to mount the center of the scope over the cylinder.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/16/2018 2:57 PM

I prefer the scope or optic to be over the cylinder. It helps maintain the balance of the gun better.

I tried an UltraDot in the "over the barrel" position offered by the stock rings on my SBH Bisley Hunter. I didn't like the balance shift. The Weigand mount allows the dot to be mounted further back and I like the way the gun balances better. Would still prefer it to be farther back, but I don't want to D&T the top strap to make that happen.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Revolver Scope Positioning - 05/17/2018 2:44 PM

I agree with the scope centered over the cylinder for looks and balance.

If you want to "split hairs" these are my opinions:

1. Scope over barrel will help a little more to suppress barrel flip under recoil...

HOWEVER

2. There will be more abrupt forces ie. more G's of force transmitted to the scope and rings in that position.

3. Felt recoil will also be greater due to that extra mass further forward moving upwards.

As I said this is splitting hairs but if you watched the slow motion video I linked to a while back, it is amazing how even the scope tube FLEXES under recoil; the G-forces are very real.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums