Handgunhunt

Al Goerg stuff

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Al Goerg stuff - 07/24/2018 10:40 PM

Thought you guys would not mind seeing everything "Al Goerg" I`ve collected over the years... Besides the 33 articles on handguns and hunting with handguns (that include a number that are not in his book`s) that I`ve taken from old gun mags and placed them in clear page holders in a 3-ring binder I finally found a copy of "Pioneering Handgun Hunting" that was signed by Goerg was is rare because he was killed in a Alaskan plane crash only months after the book was published. More numerous are copies signed by his wife Anne of which I have two. In one of them she writes a long inscription telling how her husband was honored at the 1st OAHA...I believe I had about 8 or 9 copies of "Pioneering HH" to get to this point....Also have a signed copy of "Pacific and Northwest Hunting" by Goerg?.I lucked out and found one of his early shoulder holsters as this one is more like the "Tanker" type and not the true shoulder holster he sold from ads in the gun mags. It was made for a 6 1/2" 357 and is marked that way as shown in the above photos.... Would love to run into one of his hollow pointers he made to make hollow points out of the lead semi wadcutters the factories loaded in the 357 and 44 ammo of the day....Thanks
PS- some of his articles not in his book are:
Scoping the 44 Mag
Todays hottest handgun wildcat
Game loads for the 44 Mag
Sixguns for grouse
Handgunning seal
Handgunners last hunt
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 1:32 AM

James, you are the MAN!!!! I?ve read his book several times and wish I had a collection of items from Mr. Georg beyond his book and a single hollow pointer. You?ve given me inspiration and thank you for sharing as always.

PH
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 2:06 AM

Pretty awesome

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 2:17 AM

PH, Good for you and the hollow pointer.....
Posted By: billa

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 9:59 AM

Great collection James. Sharing your treasures helps this great pioneer to our sport live on. Thanks.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 10:50 AM

had to go back, thought that i clicked Gun News & Politics instead of Shooters Bench. thanks ill have to check this cat out.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 7:15 PM

Great collection. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/25/2018 10:03 PM

Nice!
Posted By: pab1

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/26/2018 6:24 AM

Very cool James!
Posted By: cessna

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/28/2018 4:04 PM

That's a great collection of items from a man who was truly a pioneer. The only thing I have is a signed copy of "Pacific and Northwest Hunting". Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/28/2018 6:12 PM

Really neat collection, James.

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 08/13/2018 2:38 AM

Just added another Al Goerg shoulder holster to my collection... I believe each piece was purchased individually to make a shoulder holster to carry a Ruger 22 semi-auto. The holster itself is stamped Thompson Center- 10" and a snap extension was added to hold the Ruger that`s about the same size as my Buckmark that`s pictured... I know that there are some fans of Al Goerg who might find this interesting....
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 08/13/2018 2:55 AM

Very nice James!

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 08/14/2018 2:51 AM

Man, that is COOL! I?m amazed at your collections James, truly amazing.

PH
Posted By: RobR

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 10/22/2018 7:05 AM

Don't check in here too often anymore. Glad to see that a lot of people are still active.

Nice collection. I am envious of your holsters.

Have a couple of copies of PHH put away somewhere (they are getting scarce from what I can tell), a signed copy of Pacific Northwest Hunting, and a copy of the magazine about Al Goerg's crash here in Alaska that included pics of the crash site. He was definitely a pioneer and I like to think he came to handgun hunting the way I did, through chasing mountain goats. I wish I had heard of Al Goerg before I ruined a rifle chasing goats. Having a gun you can holster while climbing with two hands through alders in a big advantage.

Actually, if you read Addison Powell's book Trailing and Camping in Alaska, he talks of killing mountain goats with his handgun and proposes that a cartridge like a .44-40 in a single shot handgun would be a great tool for hunting.

Too bad Al Goerg wasn't around to see the impact he had on the sport. I think it would probably surprise him.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 02/10/2019 2:15 PM

James.. Saw the forward in the Al Georg book mention Super Vel.

Want to try some original Super Vel 44magnum Ammo?

pm me.

Posted By: AlGoergGrDaughtr

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 01/27/2020 3:01 PM

I am Alfred Goerg?s Granddaughter, Veronica. Grandma Anne was a huge part of my life. I would spend a week or so at a time with her and built up some amazing memories. She passed while I was deployed but my mom (her daughter) was taking care of my children during that time.
I was raised in the hunter lifestyle on a farm in WA. Kind of bittersweet to see family items elsewhere but very happy they are cherished.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 01/28/2020 2:21 AM

Welcome Veronica
Al Goerg books and holsters are cherished possessions for people on this site. Shooters everywhere owe a great debt of gratitude to your Grandfather, he was a pioneer of our sport.
Hope you will visit often.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 01/28/2020 2:23 PM

I didn't realize how influential Al Goerg was in starting the idea of taking big game with a handgun, but I recently read J.D. Jones' and Larry Kelly's book: Hunting for Handgunners

a large portion of the book was on the "pioneers" and Al was the very first mentioned. cool stuff.

Thanks for Veronica.
Posted By: RSW

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 01/28/2020 3:47 PM

Keeping history alive! Thank for sharing James.

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 02/02/2020 5:59 AM

Welcome Veronica! It is nice to see you join in. There is a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for your grandfather here, from me for sure. I?ve read his books several times.

You mention deployment, so thank you for your service. Check back often.

PH

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 02/02/2020 6:16 PM

Hey Ronnie... just got back from a boar hunt and read your post....Your granpa AL was "The Man"... If it was`ent for him we would not be here...Thank you for taking the time to post and hope you may share some stories of him. Sincerely, James
PS- I finally found one of his hollow pointers..
Posted By: ASE90

Re: Al Goerg stuff - 07/18/2020 12:33 AM

I used to have one of his hollow pointers made for the .44 Magnum. The hollow point was sized to place a .22 short in the cavity with base forward. You pulled the bullet from the short then inserted the short in the Keith lead bullet. That was some time ago. It was a tedious process because although everything was sized and registered just right, it was a hand operation with a lot of twisting involved. Had a lot of correspondence with him when I lived in Idaho but never met him, unlike Elmer and Jack, both of whom I met. Elmer, being more friendly, I spend a fair amount of time with.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums