Handgunhunt

The importance of a consistent grip

Posted By: Chance Weldon

The importance of a consistent grip - 10/25/2018 8:35 PM

My sister and I were shooting our muzzleloaders to get them sighted in for season. After we got her Encore zeroed, I set up my Optima pistol. I had been having a lot of trouble with it. The same load I used last year was scattering like a buckshot pattern, and I couldn't figure out why. Then, it hit me: watch my grip. Long story short, after a little experimenting, I determined a consistent, moderate grip, not too tight or loose, yielded the best results:

.970" at 100 yards.
Posted By: karl

Re: The importance of a consistent grip - 10/25/2018 9:07 PM

yep and good shooting too!

I find if I can spend a day shooting every other week or so for the summer it comes naturally. If I only get out half that amount then I really need to think about it. If I split my time between platforms it also means I need more practice to get good with the different guns.
Posted By: 454 Casull

Re: The importance of a consistent grip - 10/26/2018 4:45 PM

I cannot agree more. At the this past weekend I "fish gripped" my 44 and 454 a couple of times and that was enough for me to shoot over the target at 50 yards. There is a fine line between baring down too much and not enough.
Posted By: OFFSHORE

Re: The importance of a consistent grip - 10/27/2018 6:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 454 Casull
I cannot agree more. At the this past weekend I "fish gripped" my 44 and 454 a couple of times and that was enough for me to shoot over the target at 50 yards. There is a fine line between baring down too much and not enough.

+1 Amen Brother!
Posted By: junebug

Re: The importance of a consistent grip - 10/27/2018 2:38 PM

IT ALL STARTS WITH A CONSISTENT REPEATABLE GRIP. EVERYTHING BUILDS FROM THERE.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: The importance of a consistent grip - 10/27/2018 6:52 PM

the "Master grip".

I am guilty as any of not hitting the range this year as much as I should. with practice it becomes "muscle memory"
Posted By: SChunter

Re: The importance of a consistent grip - 10/30/2018 3:17 AM

Originally Posted By: junebug
IT ALL STARTS WITH A CONSISTENT REPEATABLE GRIP. EVERYTHING BUILDS FROM THERE.

The key to shooting any pistol well - Solid advice JB!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums