Handgunhunt

Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk?

Posted By: Arkansas Paul

Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/29/2018 6:18 AM

So I want to scope a revolver to use for deer hunting, and at the moment am not in a position to purchase a new gun. I'm wanting to get a Super Redhawk eventually, but will have to make do with what I have for now.

I have a 7.5" NM Blackhawk in .45 Colt that I'm thinking of putting an optic on. I have shorter barreled options available that end up being carried more often anyway, due to just being more compact and comfortable to carry.

FYI, I hunt mostly from permanent blinds, over bait. So, there are nearly always sandbags available to me in the field. Where we hunt there isn't much spot and stalk going on, so offhand wouldn't generally be needed.

I've looked at the Weigand bases and they seem to be a solid option.
Who has scoped this particular revolver and how do you like it? Is there anything to watch out for or to avoid?
As always, pics are welcome.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/29/2018 1:14 PM

Not the best pic of it but this one works perfectly. I don't even know how many deer I have killed with it.

Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/29/2018 2:53 PM

This is a Weigand no drill, no tap base unique to the .480 and .454 SBHs with a 6 1/2-inch barrel.

Here's Weigand's shor no drill, no tap base mounting a small reflexive red dot on a Blackhawk.

Posted By: Russell

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/29/2018 3:06 PM

I run a Burris FFIII on a 7.5", Ruger 'Bisley' NMBH, .45 Colt. Works great offhand or from a rest. I use the same ramp in Whit's above photo.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/29/2018 7:57 PM

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/data/807/SBH_Silhouette.JPG?7610

10.5" Super Blackhawk with Redfield Base and Rings.
Posted By: adbhowler

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/30/2018 3:08 PM

I run Ultradots on my hunting revolvers, specifically Ultradot 25. I had one on my Ruger SRH 454 for over 7 years with no issues at all. I recently put on one on my 500 JRH and had the return spring break almost immediately. Had it repaired and now it works great after about 200 full house loads. I like the Ultradot line as my eyesight isn't what is used to be. Good luck and good hunting
Posted By: Arkansas Paul

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/30/2018 4:24 PM

Thanks for the replies and pics guys.

adbhowler, I know a lot of guys like the Ultradots, but hunting from a box stand with a sandbag at my disposal, I'd really like some magnification.
However I do have a question regarding UDs. What advantage does the long tube on the Ultradot give you? If you're going to go with a red dot, why not just a reflex model? I'm thinking there must be one, I just have no experience with them.
Posted By: Seminole Wind

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/30/2018 4:59 PM

AR Paul,
I have tube and reflex red dot sights on several guns and I like them both. Overall though I've had less, in fact no, trouble with tube sights, all Ultradot. I've returned 4 or 5 reflex sights to the manufacturer for repair, Leupold, Burris and Jpoint. Tubes are a little easier to mount, and they work better in rainy weather.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 11/30/2018 6:13 PM

My reflexs all have sun/rain hoods that Burris packages with the site to cure the rain/sunshine problem Truthfully tho, if you're going to use the 'hood' much you just as well get the 'tube' type.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/01/2018 1:10 AM

Here?s a weigand mount and rings on a NM Super...

Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/01/2018 2:06 AM

Great looking guns guys. I have a mount similar to KRal's but made by Weaver.
Posted By: Seminole Wind

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/01/2018 2:32 AM

Beautiful gun KRal. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: adbhowler

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/01/2018 3:05 AM

All the reflex sights i have put on my revolvers don't seem to be able to handle the recoil. I also like the filters on the Ultradots it makes very sunny days bearable and helps with low light conditions. Its personal preferance i guess.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/01/2018 5:39 PM

I will 2nd adbhowler's comments on the tube style red dot vs. the miniature reflex types.

I think both types of sights have their place but from my experience the tube type sights seem to be more tolerant of any off axis viewing (i.e. less parallax error) than my reflex sights.

While I haven't had any failures on my reflex sights they don't have nearly the number of rounds through them as my MatchDot which has seen over 1000 full power 44 mag loads.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/02/2018 1:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Hunter
Great looking guns guys. I have a mount similar to KRal's but made by Weaver.

Now that you mention, I believe that is a weaver mount with weigand rings.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Who has a scoped NM Blackhawk? - 12/04/2018 3:58 AM

l recenty bought a NM Blackhawk Hunter in 41 mag.. l think the

barrel mounted optics of this gun make it a NATURAL
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums