Handgunhunt

Off hand shooting

Posted By: dhom

Off hand shooting - 12/31/2018 10:27 AM

I practice shooting offhand a lot. I use calibers from a low of .22 to 475 Linebaugh. Normally, I only hold my revolvers as tight as necessary to avoid getting hit with the revolver. In my experience the less amount of tension the better the squeeze. [more accurate] My question is how do you guys handle it? I tried hard to be able to use my trigger finger relaxed and independent of the tension I use to hold the revolver, but can't accomplish that. Is this only me or is everybody experiencing that? What I do to try to overcome this is, dryfire making sure I am squeezing the trigger directly to the rear.
Posted By: bscott

Re: Off hand shooting - 12/31/2018 12:14 PM

Concentration and practice - Talk your way thru the process
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Off hand shooting - 12/31/2018 2:51 PM

You absolutely have to make the effort to use the same grip tension irrespective of the position/rest you are using. You don't want to hold the revolver differently offhand than you did when you sighted it in off the bench.

This is an instructional video I did for Gun Digest TV, that explains the method I use. It may not work for you, but you need to experiment and come up with a method that will work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZC_AB7n_Q
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Off hand shooting - 01/01/2019 1:13 AM

Good video, Max. I roll my offhand thumb around the back just as you ... I feel it helps me lock everything in.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Off hand shooting - 01/01/2019 1:19 AM

Good video and good information.
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Off hand shooting - 01/01/2019 2:31 AM

Whitworth and PsTan, I use the same grip.
Posted By: dhom

Re: Off hand shooting - 01/01/2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
You absolutely have to make the effort to use the same grip tension irrespective of the position/rest you are using. You don't want to hold the revolver differently offhand than you did when you sighted it in off the bench.

This is an instructional video I did for Gun Digest TV, that explains the method I use. It may not work for you, but you need to experiment and come up with a method that will work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZC_AB7n_Q
I have been trying to use my support hand more for controlling the revolver and to help me relax me shooting hand for better trigger control. That is to say I actually have more tension on the revolver with my support hand pulling it slightly rearward and some push forward with my shooting hand. My thumbs are one over another. I will try putting my support hand thumb more on the rear of my hand.
Posted By: adbhowler

Re: Off hand shooting - 01/02/2019 3:02 PM

I actually adopted the "Max Grip" technique after seeing his video and have found it to be very beneficial to my shooting. I am able to control the recoil better as well as get back on target quicker for follow up shots (this has been very helpful while training with my 500JRH). Again, this seems to work better for me.

Good shooting folks!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums