Handgunhunt

Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend

Posted By: racksmasher1

Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/04/2019 11:41 AM

What are your thoughts on this round Boys?
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/04/2019 12:21 PM

It's a round that sits in a very crowded field. I seriously doubt it will make it. In the past few years, there seems to have been a flurry of straight walled rounds hit the street. People still tend to run 444, 45-70, and pistol rounds the most. I'll just stick to the .357 max.

It's good to see new offerings, but I won't be buying one anytime soon.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/04/2019 12:56 PM

I HAVE BEEN GETTING EMAILS FROM BELLM ON THIS NEW ROUND. WILL WAIT TO SEE WHAT KIND OF GUNS IT GETS CHAMBERED IN. RIGHT NOW 357 MAX IS BASICALLY A HANDLOADERS CARTRIDGE, THE LEGEND WILL HAVE FACTORY AMMO AVAILABLE.

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 12:35 AM

It will most likely be like the rest of Winchester's offerings and die a slow death. The 300 wsm is still going strong, but this day and time, a "new" cartridge is just a copy of something 30 years ago.

I've seen semi autos for the round, so far that's it. Call me old fashioned, but I don't care for this new fangled stuff.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 12:46 AM

If it can be chambered in the AR-15, I think it will wind up somewhat popular. Performance wise, it seems to be similar to the 357 Maximum.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 1:09 AM

There will be a lot of useful bullets now designed for Max velocities

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 1:57 AM

Probably it will be around for a couple of years and fade out, the velocities seem similar to the 357 max, hopefully Winchester?s 150 grain bullet will stick around for a bit, I like the velocity on that one, I think the only advantage it has over the Max is the availability of factory ammo.
Posted By: JDK

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 3:42 AM

Really nice ballistics and a cool bullet or two. Looks like it's between a Max and a 35 Rem. maybe? I don't think it'll be too popular in any gun except an auto loader IMHO. But, I don't live in one of those straight walked cartridge states either. The 150 gr. extreme tip bullet looks nice for loading in the Max or 35 Rem.
Posted By: billa

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 4:50 AM

If it is hyped as a tactical dream come true for the AR platform. It may gain popularity. Remember, Everything we know that has been common to us is a big secret to the younger tacticool crowd. Perhaps a mag forward AR style pistol would be fun in this caliber. It?s a bit light for my tastes as a hunting round.
Posted By: bullsi1911

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/05/2019 5:50 PM

I like what I have seen so far. I?ll probably be getting something chambered in it this year, be it a TC barrel, an AR Upper, or a bolt like the Ruger American ranch, I don?t know yet.

It looks interesting, and may be my Kiddo?s first hunting rifle. Not sure yet.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/06/2019 12:34 AM

I almost posted on this a couple of days ago. Numbers indicate it's the equivalent of a rimless .357 Max?

I saw a hype video that indicated it's a nuclear deer hammer with no recoil that could defeat ISIS by dropping empty brass in regions that have been infiltrated ... just sayin" ... LOL
Posted By: Pa. Mike

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/06/2019 1:01 AM

They advertise it as a 300 yard cartridge but looking at the size of the case it looks like that may be very optimistic.

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/06/2019 1:42 AM

I have been shooting the 358JDJ and 35 Rem in the Contender for almost 40 years and I am confident that both of these are better performance rounds than the ?new? 350 for reloaders. Assuming that high performance factory ammo is available it could certainly be a decent round in the AR or a light hunting rifle platform. Anxious to see...
Posted By: Paul_H

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/06/2019 5:56 PM

For whatever reason, 35 caliber rifles have never been terribly popular in the US. Personally I'm a huge fan of the 35's and have had a 35 whelen ackley, 350 Rigby and currently a 350 Rem Mag.

As a fan of AR's, the round certainly appeals to me. Especially if it'll feed my 200 gr WFN cast bullets. Slinging those 1800-2000 fps from an AR would be a hoot! It would almost negate my desire for a 357 mag rifle.

Hopefully they make the component bullets available. They look like good choices for 357 max single shot pistols!
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/08/2019 4:55 PM

Starline's New 223 Basic Case will help to keep this one alive for a while. As far as I can tell it is pretty much a rimless 357 Maximum formed from an untampered 223 Remington case. Pretty clear the target audience will be the AR15 crowd. It should gain some popularity in Straight Case 1.80" States for deer. I am sure it will be a good hog round also.

I am wondering if the 350 Legend will reload in dies suitable to reload the 357 Maximum only using a 223 Shell Holder. Like the 356/358 Winchester and 307/308 Winchester cartridges. Same die set, different shell holders for the different rim. I have not seen good enough case specifications so far to get a handle on that possibility.

For us Contender and Encore shooters I see no advantage at all over a 357 Maximum other than available factory ammo for the non reloader's.

I really do hope this one gains traction and does very well.
WHY ??? New 357 Maximum Friendly Bullets on the market to feed it. We could see some very good .357 deer/hog bullets on the market by next deer season. A good thing!

Bob R
Posted By: Paul_H

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/08/2019 7:23 PM

It's not quite a rimless 357 max, or a straight .223 case. The case is 0.390" at the head vs. 0.377" for the .223.

Personally I don't think it will be an issue blowing out .223 brass to fit the .350 chamber, but it does run the risk of case head seperations.
Posted By: Artemis444

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/08/2019 7:50 PM

Personally I think it will be the very first AR platform cartridge that I will like. Put it in a light weight 16 inch platform with a 1-4 optic on it and you have one heck of a youth/beginner hunting rifle and it will be good for deer, hog, and coyote. Ive never been a big 223 or 300blk fan.

I really hope it makes a mark and stays!

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/08/2019 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Artemis444
Personally I think it will be the very first AR platform cartridge that I will like. Put it in a light weight 16 inch platform with a 1-4 optic on it and you have one heck of a youth/beginner hunting rifle and it will be good for deer, hog, and coyote. Ive never been a big 223 or 300blk fan.

I really hope it makes a mark and stays!

I like the 6.5 Grendel for that role. I'm a fan of that round for some odd reason. It's lacking velocity and everything else known to man, but I have a soft spot for .264 diameter slugs.

I love most things 35 caliber, but this 350 legend leaves me cold. I don't think the introduction of this cartridge will open the doors for a flurry of 35 caliber bullets. There just isn't enough demand. It will be a big hit for 2-4 years then will fall off the face of the Earth for the next big thing.

The only recent cartridge I've went nuts for in the past few years besides the Grendel, was the 325 wsm. It went nowhere, and I wasn't suprised.

At the ripe old age of 30, I hate most things new. I'm going to be a mess at 60.

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/09/2019 1:11 AM

I like the the idea of a 150 grain bullet, they are tough to come by in 35 caliber for handloaders.

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/09/2019 5:42 PM

How about an AR styled handgun for the new .350? That might be fun.
Posted By: Mech 8

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/10/2019 8:43 PM

Don't like it. It may bring about new bullets for those of us that shoot 357 Max's, but I don't see any advantages over existing rounds. In fact, I see trouble in a straight walled case that is rimless. In the bolt guns where there is no momentum to pull the bullet out of the case upon chambering, and the extractor holds the case tightly against the bolt face, it should work. But in an AR style rifle with the speed of the bolt, I would think there would be some issues with the bullet working out of the case. Since it is rimless with no shoulder it would headspace on the case mouth preventing the application of a firm roll/taper crimp on the bullet. In the break open guns, a rimmed case has always found favor, so I wouldn't expect it to catch on in those ranks either. I have never been able to squeeze out the accuracy of a straight walled case in comparison to a shouldered cartridge, simply because the shoulder causes the cartridge to center itself in the chamber and consequently the bore. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/11/2019 5:45 PM

Just an FYI, but BFR will be offering these soon (probably a Precision Center only proposition) in .350 Legend...
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/11/2019 8:15 PM

WAS READING THAT WHILE STRAIGHT WALLED THE CASE IS TAPERED, SO MAYBE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HEADSPACE ON THE TAPER AND DO SOME CRIMPING FOR REVOLVER USE. IF BFR CUTS THEIR CHAMBERS TIGHT MAYBE YOU CUD CRIMP????

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/11/2019 11:43 PM

Perhaps a Moon clip would be in order for a revolver. Would need a swing out cylinder though.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/19/2019 11:47 AM

YAWN.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/28/2019 5:37 PM

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
I like the the idea of a 150 grain bullet, they are tough to come by in 35 caliber for handloaders.

Shortly after the introduction of the .357 Max, Remington introduced a 158 gr. HP designed specifically for that cartridge. The profile was slightly different than R-P's then existing 158 gr. bullet intended for the .357 Magnum, but it was with a much tougher jacket. It was a colossal failure market wise. Many years ago, I picked up some from Midway's closeout bin. It was a great bullet for the Max, .35 Remington, and pigs in the .357 Magnum. No clue as to why it failed.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Winchester?s new 350 Ledgend - 02/28/2019 5:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Brenden
It will most likely be like the rest of Winchester's offerings and die a slow death. The 300 wsm is still going strong, but this day and time, a "new" cartridge is just a copy of something 30 years ago.

Very true. When Winchester introduced the .300 WSM some time ago, a Winchester rep. was at the YO Ranch handgun hunt extolling the virtues of the then new .300 WSM. After his spiel, I asked him how it was better than my .308 Norma, or .300 Weatherby. He gave me a long stare and responded "Marvin, you are just bad for business". Maybe so, but I still have the Norma and the Weatherby. Old cartridges still kill, old guns are still accurate, and old style bullets still work, they just don't generate many sales of new products.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums