Handgunhunt

Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/27/2019 6:30 AM

I was browsing Youtube when I ran across this pretty cool video you guys might enjoy. It shows how differently the 200 grain Hornady FTX and the Corbon 395 grain WFN bullets peform in ballistic gel.

460 MAGNUM ammunition ballistic testing in SlowMo! (60P)

You know, for all the discussion we have over cast vs. expanding, I have to say I don't think I'd want to be hit by either of those.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/27/2019 1:52 PM

That's pretty impressive.
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/27/2019 2:30 PM

In my opinion that's the difference between "deer" bullets and "bear, buffalo" bullets. Both are good at their intended purpose.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/28/2019 12:09 PM

l like 0le Jerry... Esp his 1000yd shot on a gong with a S&W929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/28/2019 12:19 PM

NEAT UTUBE VIDEO, I NOTED THAT THERE WERE NO BONES IN THE GELATIN.
Posted By: karl

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/29/2019 1:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
NEAT UTUBE VIDEO, I NOTED THAT THERE WERE NO BONES IN THE GELATIN.

Very true, but that is not the purpose or strength of gel. It lets you test different bullets in identical and repeatable situations to compare between the bullets, not to simulate shooting animals. If you want to really get into the details it was developed to compare bullets used to shoot people for the FBI. We dont have that many big bones covering our vitals so its probably not a bad comparison in that way.
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 04/29/2019 1:52 PM

Jerry is a fun guy to watch and I am in agreement for the most part with what he demonstrated in the first posting. But the animals that have heavy bone structure or larger bones can stop a bullet that expands or breaks up. If that happens, the bullet will not get in where they live. And even if it makes it inside, the energy could then be expended and it will not penetrate and disrupt tissue.
Elmer Keith related that the test of bringing down an elephant is using a caliber and power that can break the near leg and penetrate through to take out the massive heart. A central nervous system KO brain shot is no real test of a caliber cartridge and its power according to Elmer Keith. He was Big-Bore before Big-Bore was cool.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 05/02/2019 12:23 AM

Chance, The key words that JM say`s are "chose wisely"... I`ve only taken four animals with my S&W 460 and after using the 200gr FTX I would say that on a broadside, double lung shot it can be spectacular, however, angle shots on whitetail can be a disaster. A going away shot on a deer only gave a few inches of penetration with the bullet coming apart (photo below). There are many good hunting bullets that can take advantage of the 460`s velocity making it a deadly hunting handgun. The last critter I took with the 460 was a decent boar at an even 50yds. The ammo was factory 300gr JFP with one broadside shot... The blood spray was impressive.. With the right bullet the 460 can take whatever can be taken...
\:\)
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 05/02/2019 1:11 AM

its sweet watching how much that gel "torques" in slow mo
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 05/03/2019 4:08 PM

Buffalo Bore loads Dangerous Game Loads with a mono-metal 460 S&W loading of 300 grains I believe. That would be a good test for ballistic gel and additional material to replicate bone. Use of a cow thigh-bone in front of, or between ballistic-gel, would be useful for a test.
That would only be a test, but not a test like shooting a real live animal would.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Cool video - 460 S&W cast vs. FTX in ballistic gel - 05/03/2019 4:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff460
Buffalo Bore loads Dangerous Game Loads with a mono-metal 460 S&W loading of 300 grains I believe. That would be a good test for ballistic gel and additional material to replicate bone. Use of a cow thigh-bone in front of, or between ballistic-gel, would be useful for a test.

Better to test it on bovine flesh...

I've tested in numerous media types and while they are interesting (somewhat), bone and blood change everything. We tested the prototype .480 Ruger loads on a couple of bovine last year and they worked great. Can't wait to put the .460 version to work as that thing is scorching!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums