Handgunhunt

Loctite ?

Posted By: Mr. Bisley

Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 1:37 AM

Intend on mounting Ultradot 30mm to my new BFR Bisley 475 Linebaugh.

Owners manual recommends Red Loctite for scope base screws. But gives no suggestions for the of what grade of Loctite to secure rings to base.

I always used blue loctite and followed the manufacturers torque specifications when mounting base and rings.

For those who have optics on their BFR revolver, what did you do?
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 1:47 AM

Blue. No issues ever.
Posted By: Mech 8

Re: Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 2:02 AM

I've only used a thread locker on the base to gun/barrel, usually the blue. I never use it on the rings, never had an issue with them loosening.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 2:16 AM

I like Green Loctite..that's right Green 290...it's in between Red & Blue..keep in mind with Red, it's basically permanent, unless you get a torch and heat the screws..it will not come off with hand tools, just keep that in mind
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 2:43 PM

Call me crazy, dumb and dummer, retarded, old school or what ever, but I've used clear finger nail polish on my base and ring screws for the past 44 years. Guess how many screws have come loose on guns up to .416 Taylor??? ZERO!! And they come out reasonably easy with a tap of the hammer on a screwdriver in the screw.
Guess I'm too old to change, but if it works.....
Posted By: Memtb460

Re: Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 3:00 PM

I?ve used clear fingernail polish as well, seems to work good. However, for many years now have used ?blue? Loctite on our rifle scope rings and bases, as well as on a few handguns. Though, I?d never consider using the ?red?. On a ?fine thread? screw it is almost impossible to get the screw back out, if needed. If it?s in a location where it can be heated for removal.....then ?red? is not a bad choice. memtb
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Loctite ? - 08/25/2019 4:12 PM

Years ago I learned this tip: After screw gets tight, tap the driver a few times with a hammer to seat the threads and the screw will almost always tighten up some more with little effort. I do this on the base screws with blue loctite. Not on the ring screws.

I have not had trouble with ring screws loosening, and I don't use loctite on them.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Loctite ? - 08/26/2019 5:58 AM

After a trip to my Gunsmith to get the base screws out of a Contender barrel, I was told by my Gunsmith to never use Red Loc Tite on gun screws again.
I have used Blue ever since.

Bob R
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Loctite ? - 08/26/2019 1:49 PM

If you shoot a lot volume, especially heavy loads, red Loctite should be used. I also make a habit of checking the base to make sure it hasn?t loosened up as I have actually sheered the screws holding the base down. There?s no downside to using red, it?s just a little harder to break when you want to remove the base. I don?t use and thread lock on the rings and I regularly check them as well for tightness.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Loctite ? - 08/26/2019 1:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
Years ago I learned this tip: After screw gets tight, tap the driver a few times with a hammer to seat the threads and the screw will almost always tighten up some more with little effort. I do this on the base screws with blue loctite. Not on the ring screws.

I have not had trouble with ring screws loosening, and I don't use loctite on them.

I do this as well.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums