Handgunhunt

Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience?

Posted By: Randy M

Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 11:06 AM

Its a caliber I don't have and one that would be fun for deer/hogs. Anyone have any experience with one of the Ruger platforms?
Posted By: Buckshotharris

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 11:55 AM

Hello Randy,
I have a Ruger Old Model (3 screw, 4 digit s/n) 4 5/8 inch .41 Magnum and a 10" T/C contender barrel in .41 magnum and love this caliber. I just reloaded 200 rounds yesterday. Bullet selection is not as much as others but I don't mind. Plenty of power for deer and hogs. Check out Gunbroker, Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .41 Magnum. It is "SWEET". Great Caliber!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 11:56 AM

Randy, I have the SBH Hunter in .41 Mag. The gun has been embellished by Mag-Na-Port with a trigger job and a few other goodies. Topped with a Leupold 2.5-8x scope, this revolver makes a great hunting rig. Gary Reeder installed some grips and they are most comforting. I'm very pleased with this rig - and the .41 Mag.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 12:34 PM

Thank you both very much.

Buckshotharris, that specific item is on my ?watch? list.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 2:27 PM

Don't have a Ruger .41, but do a Taurus Raging Bull. Taurus gets some bad press, but mine is super. Killed groundhogs and deer out to 70 yds. ('hogs) , deer 100 yds. with open sights. Put a 2-7 Burris on it this year (old eyes) and have taken 4 'hogs from 92-97 yds. The Taurus grip makes this a pussy cat to shoot. Might want to give it a look.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 5:12 PM

I have a RB in 44 and absolutely love it. But I can?t see myself buying another until they have an aftermarket ?no drill? option for mounting optics. Unfortunately the Raging Hunter doesn?t come in .41.

Appreciate the response though.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 6:57 PM

Randy, I have a 3 screw in 41 mag that I did a little customizing on and I love it! I hand fitted a powers two piece brass grip frame, done action job and made some walnut grips for it. I then sent it to Gary Reeder for a 6? octagon barrel, cch frame, bluing and freedom arms front sight. It?s very handy and accurate loaded with a 230 PC keith bullet over 8.5gr of unique. I don?t have any pics of it, but it was used to take a nice desert paint ram a couple years ago. There?s a video of that hunt on the members videos (Reeder HHC Fall 2017) that shows how effective a 41 mag can be. I don?t think you?ll be disappointed in one, especially if you hand load.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/01/2019 8:55 PM

Thanks Kim. I?ll look for it.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/03/2019 12:51 AM

I inherited a Blackhawk 41 Magnum from my grandfather. Since I got it, it's been the backup pistol hanging off my belt on every deer hunt I've been on.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/03/2019 1:03 AM

Thanks Chance. I appreciate everyone's response. It's definitely next on my list. Just not sure when that will be. Still having too much fun with the XVRs.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/04/2019 2:14 AM

I have a 6 1/2 in Blackhawk in .41. Very good shooting gun with 210 gr XTP's and 2400 powder,have not tried cast yet . Have not hunted with it yet so no bullet reports.I know some say it recoils less than the .44 mag but a 200 or 210 gr at 1300 feels the same to me from either gun.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/04/2019 9:42 AM

Thank you Junebug. Recoil, so far, hasn't been an issue for me but I appreciate the comparison.

Do you have any type of optic on yours? Any accuracy reports from the range you can speak to?

If I bought one today I'd probably go with the SBH Hunter version with 7.5" barrel. And possibility put a reflex red dot on it. But...I've looked hard at those 6.5" BHs. They sure look like they'd be easy on the belt.

Thanks again.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/04/2019 9:29 PM

Mine still has open sights for now. I really need to narrow my front sight old style soldered on so need to have some machining done to it.
Posted By: mart

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/06/2019 9:10 PM

I've had at least one 41 mag for more years than I can remember. I have taken a total of two head of game with mine, a whitetail doe and a cougar. The doe at 20 yards with a 4 inch S&W 57 with a Nosler 210 grain HP bullet back when I used to pollute my revolvers with jacketed bullets. Oh the shame. She dropped at the shot.

The cougar with a BH 6.5 inch and 265 grain LBT cast bullet, extremely hard, straight linotype if I remember correctly. It flopped around a little and died quickly. The entrance and exit wounds were the same size. The internal damage was substantial.

When we moved to Alaska 17 years ago, the 41 was the only centerfire revolver I owned. I carried it without reservation in bear country. I always kept it loaded with the 265 grain bullets over a stiff load of H110. While I had a few close encounters with bears, none of them ever required shooting. All disputes were resolved amicably.

I would not hesitate for a minute to carry the 41 magnum with heavy cast bullets anywhere in North America for big game hunting or bear protection.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 12:28 AM

Mart, thank you. Great testimonial.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 12:34 AM

Well I couldn?t stand it. My SBH Hunter arrives tomorrow. My plan is to ?pollute? it (lol) with a 210 grain jacketed something. Did not need this caliber even in the slightest bit but honestly after every review I?ve read on the caliber, I can?t wait to get it. It?ll make a perfect deer/hog gun, as well as, a shorter range bigger animal gun.

I will most likely put a trijicon RMR reflex on it and set it up for 100ish and under. I may even carry it to New Mexico next month as my back up to my PC 460.

Appreciate everyone?s response.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 12:44 AM

Congrats Randy! I think you'll be most pleased. The .41 Mag. is an unappreciated round. Have fun!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 1:33 AM

Congratulations. I'd encourage you to try some 250-265 grain cast bullets with a wide meplat. You'll swear off them new fangled jacketed things. They're just a passing fad anyway.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 1:36 AM

Need went out the window a loooong time ago for most of us. WANT IS A SUFFICIENT REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 2:08 AM

Originally Posted By: mart
Congratulations. I'd encourage you to try some 250-265 grain cast bullets with a wide meplat. You'll swear off them new fangled jacketed things. They're just a passing fad anyway.

For larger animals with this specific caliber, I do see the merit in cast. However, for 95% of what I hunt I?m leaning towards the fad. Hehe.

Years ago I was a die hard cast guy with a .44. Got tired of long, sparse blood trails and made the switch. Haven?t looked back. Don?t get me wrong...I?m not saying they don?t work. In fact, a cast through the shoulder is about as quick a kill as I?ve seen. But a straight lung and/or heart shot and it felt like I was trailing drops for hundreds of yards.

I do genuinely appreciate your input and dialogue though. Keep the jacketed banter coming. It?s quite entertaining ...

And you?ve got me thinking too...

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 2:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
Congrats Randy! I think you'll be most pleased. The .41 Mag. is an unappreciated round. Have fun!

Thank you Mark. Nothing like the anticipation of an uncharted caliber that will no doubt grip my thoughts for hours on end.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 2:12 AM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Need went out the window a loooong time ago for most of us. WANT IS A SUFFICIENT REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That almost sounds biblical.

1st book of junebug...

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 6:09 AM

You will like the .41. It will NEVER replace my Beloved .45 Colt but it has its place and filled the WANT for a faster running hotrod. Now I have found a flattop .44 special at a very good price that I hope they sell soon, as I have just sold my .44 mag to my son and WANT is rearing its head again.
\:D

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 9:59 AM

Welcome to the .41 Club Randy. Show us some pictures when you get it set up.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/07/2019 11:41 AM

YOU GUYS ALMOST GOT ME TO BITE ON A 41 AS I WAS HAVING A SERIOUS CASE OF "WANT", THEN I CAME TO MY SENSES, REMEMBERED THAT I HAVE A 5 1/2 STAINLESS REDHAWK AND A NEWER NICKELED MODEL 58 CLASSIC, THE FORMER I MAY HAVE SHOT BUT DO NOT REMEMBER SHOOTING, AND THE LATTER I HAVE NEVER SHOT, AND THAT I HAVE A PLETHORA OF 45 COLTS THAT I CAN LOAD MILD, HOT, +P, MAGNUM OR MAGNUM+, SO NO NEED FOR A NEW 41 MAG, AND I CONQUERED THE WANT ON A 7 1/2 INCH MODEL 657, BUT YOU ENABLERS WERE NO HELP.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/08/2019 1:20 PM

A Ruger 41 magnum Blackhawk is what started it all for me. Mine is insanely accurate with a 210 jacketed and around 22.5 grains of 296. Never have taken a head of game with it, owned it around 5 years. I purchased some Speer 210's a while ago and plan to put them to use this year.

Hope you enjoy the new gun!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/08/2019 2:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Buckshotharris
Welcome to the .41 Club Randy. Show us some pictures when you get it set up.

Thanks Buckshot! I definitely will. Should pick it up tomorrow.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/08/2019 2:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
YOU GUYS ALMOST GOT ME TO BITE ON A 41 AS I WAS HAVING A SERIOUS CASE OF "WANT", THEN I CAME TO MY SENSES, REMEMBERED THAT I HAVE A 5 1/2 STAINLESS REDHAWK AND A NEWER NICKELED MODEL 58 CLASSIC, THE FORMER I MAY HAVE SHOT BUT DO NOT REMEMBER SHOOTING, AND THE LATTER I HAVE NEVER SHOT, AND THAT I HAVE A PLETHORA OF 45 COLTS THAT I CAN LOAD MILD, HOT, +P, MAGNUM OR MAGNUM+, SO NO NEED FOR A NEW 41 MAG, AND I CONQUERED THE WANT ON A 7 1/2 INCH MODEL 657, BUT YOU ENABLERS WERE NO HELP.

Yeah I completely understand. This started with me reading too many articles on the caliber. It's insane the almost underground cult that exists over this caliber.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/08/2019 2:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Brenden
A Ruger 41 magnum Blackhawk is what started it all for me. Mine is insanely accurate with a 210 jacketed and around 22.5 grains of 296. Never have taken a head of game with it, owned it around 5 years. I purchased some Speer 210's a while ago and plan to put them to use this year.

Hope you enjoy the new gun!

Very cool. I'm planning an almost identical load to start with for deer/hogs. Starting with the 210 Gold Dot Deep Curl and 22 grains of 110.

I've also ordered some 250 grain WFNGC cast bullets to load up as a backup gun on my upcoming elk hunt.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/10/2019 1:19 AM

Well here it is. I?ve already taken it completely apart and polished all internal parts, lightened the trigger down to about 2 lbs, installed a trijicon RMR red dot, and a different grip. Hoping to get it out to the range tomorrow.

Posted By: Brenden

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/10/2019 2:10 AM

Beautiful Randy. I'm a fan of the gripper grip as well.

You'll love the 41. One of my favorites. Welcome to the Cult!
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/10/2019 1:27 PM

That's a sweet looking Hunter Randy. More pics with the range report please.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/11/2019 12:30 PM

Thank you men!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/11/2019 9:31 PM

I HATE YOU GUYS, YOU GOT ME ALL WORKED UP OVER 41 MAGS, AND I PUT IN A "SAFE" BID ON A 7.5 INCH 657 ON GB, ON A NO RESRVE AUCTION. WELL THE "SAFE, NO WAY IT WILL WIN BID" WAS THE WINNING BID. IT IS ONE OF THOSE S&W's THAT COMES D&T'ed, SO IT WILL BE EASY TO PUT OPTICS ON. WITH A 7.5 INCH FULL UNDERLUG BARREL I DO NOT SEE IT AS A CARRY GUN BUT MORE OF A STAND GUN (WITH OPTICS). HOPE IT SHOOTS!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/11/2019 9:50 PM

Ha! Awesome.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/12/2019 12:16 AM

Rey, I think you will like the 657. I started off like Randy - with a Ruger SBH Hunter. Really liked it. Then I fell off the deep end. Got an Encore barrel from MGM. Liked it. Then had to have a 10 inch, Model 83 Freedom Arms. Liked it. Then ran across a 6.5" 657. Liked it. Then a 7.5" 657 came along. Liked it. Heck, tomorrow I'm headed to the range with a bunch of .41 Mags. Dick Thompson was no help by the way
\:\)
It's a sickness!!
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/12/2019 1:59 AM

I found a 41 Mag Ruger SBH Bisley a few years ago. Now I wish I would have gotten it.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/13/2019 1:47 AM

I HATE YOU GUYS,YOU GOT ME ALL WORKED UP OVER 41 MAGS.

REY
DIDN'T HAVE TO TWIST YOUR ARM HARDLY AT ALL! Ha Ha
Enjoy the ride!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/13/2019 1:51 AM

Come on in. The water?s fine...

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/15/2019 2:54 PM

Yesterday I went to the range with several loads to test in my new SBH. Although I tested several each of both jacketed and cast, I was primarily focused on cast since this is going with me on my elk hunt. This particular load is a 250 grain WFNGC pushed by 20 grains of 110. Below max but still fairly warm. I did not take my chronograph though. I hate messing with that thing.

Anyway, the target below has two 2-shot groups. The lower right was first. I then made a slight adjustment to the red dot and fired the two directly above the bullseye. This was only 50 yards but definitely off to a good start.

I?m seriously thinking of starting with this combination first on my elk hunt and use my PC 460 as my backup or ?later in the hunt? gun.

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/15/2019 5:33 PM

Rand, I`d say your off to a great start...
Rey, This what your 7 1/2" 657 looks like?? I read a short article by Dick Williams when the gun first came and had to have one.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/16/2019 12:02 AM

Great shooting Randy. God Luck on your Elk hunt. Hope to see some pictures on the Bragging Board.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/16/2019 11:42 AM

RANDY: DO A TKO CALCULATION ON YOUR 41 MAG LOAD AND YOUR 460 LOAD, NO COMPARISON, BIGGER, HEAVIER AND FASTER IS BETTER. SURE YOU CAN KILL AN ELK WITH A 41 MAG, BUT ON A LIFETIME DRAW HUNT GO HEAVY, NOT LITE.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/16/2019 12:46 PM

BUT ON A LIFETIME DRAW HUNT GO HEAVY, NOT LITE.

Yeah this is what keeps coming to my brain when I think about it. I'll most likely never draw this tag again.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/16/2019 4:47 PM

Bigger is fine but realistically if you're within handgun range of an elk, a 41 Magnum with a 250 grain cast bullet will get the job done. Your 41 magnum doesn't give up much, if any, to your 43 magnum.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/16/2019 9:01 PM

RANDY: DO A TKO CALCULATION ON YOUR 41 MAG LOAD AND YOUR 460 LOAD, NO COMPARISON, BIGGER, HEAVIER AND FASTER IS BETTER. SURE YOU CAN KILL AN ELK WITH A 41 MAG, BUT ON A LIFETIME DRAW HUNT GO HEAVY, NOT LITE.

Speaking from 4 revolver kills on bull elk, 2 each .454 and .475, Rey nails it.

Why not opt for "extra insurance" if you can.

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/18/2019 12:02 PM

It was a fleeting thought. Y'all have talked me off the ledge and back into my 460. Thanks.

But I'm really loving the 41. Such a fun and accurate caliber.
Posted By: jaydub in wi

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/21/2019 8:45 PM

I have a 41 mag ruger blackhawk with a 6.5" bbl. I shoot basically the same load as the OP. I've only taken a hog in Tn with it. After seeing what that load did to that hog, I would not be afraid to use it on an elk.
Posted By: BIZZMO

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/26/2019 2:22 PM

I just bought a 10 inch FA 83 in .41 magnum,it's in california purgatory 10 day as we speak.This discussion has been very inspirational!Ican't wait to pick it up.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/26/2019 9:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BIZZMO
I just bought a 10 inch FA 83 in .41 magnum,it's in california purgatory 10 day as we speak.This discussion has been very inspirational!Ican't wait to pick it up.

BIZZMO, It will be worth the wait...
Posted By: BIZZMO

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/26/2019 11:27 PM

Thanks,I don't know that there's a prettier sight!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/27/2019 12:03 AM

Bizzmo, I've got the exact gun - looks similar to James. I'm sure you will find enjoyment. Those things are accurate!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/27/2019 12:07 AM

JUST ORDERED 400 SPEER 210gr DEEP CURL BULLETS TO LOAD IN MY 7.5 INCH 657, ALSO GOT A WEIGAND MOUNT IN TODAY FOR IT. WILL PROBABLY PUT AN OLD SIMMONS VARIABLE SCOPE OR A FIXED LEUPOLD 4x ON IT (I HAVE ONE IN BLUE BUT WILL HAVE TO LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF I HAVE A SPARE IN SILVER).

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/27/2019 1:07 AM

JUST ORDERED 400 SPEER 210gr DEEP CURL BULLETS TO LOAD IN MY 7.5 INCH 657, ALSO GOT A WEIGAND MOUNT IN TODAY FOR IT. WILL PROBABLY PUT AN OLD SIMMONS VARIABLE SCOPE OR A FIXED LEUPOLD 4x ON IT (I HAVE ONE IN BLUE BUT WILL HAVE TO LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF I HAVE A SPARE IN SILVER).

Rey, glad to see you spending money because of me and this thread. You and a few others on here have already cost me a plethora of money!

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 09/27/2019 3:19 AM

Randy
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
All the enablers do is lead you to the well, and maybe put a little water in your bucket.
Posted By: jaydub in wi

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 10/02/2019 1:15 PM

An interesting thread about the 41 mag was on castboolits a couple of years ago. It's called Grizzly with a revolver!. A good read for any 41 fan.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 10/08/2019 11:44 PM

One of my favorite deer pistols. 5 shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Anyone with Ruger BH/SBH .41 mag experience? - 10/08/2019 11:47 PM

Here it tis
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums