Handgunhunt

Visiting Mag-Na-Port

Posted By: wvhitman

Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/14/2019 10:25 PM

I visited some relatives north of Detroit. MNP is in the eastern suburbs. I visited many times when Larry was living. He always gave me a grand tour and showed me upcoming projects, He and JD asked me to write a story in their book on handgun hunting. That was a highlight of my writing career.
Now Larry and his wife are gone. Ken and his sisters are exclusively running the business.
When I came in, they all recognized me and made me feel at home. I had 2 of my more powerful revolvers that would probably give me troubles with my wrists in my older years. Ken had one of his smiths do the work while I got the grand tour in the work area and the Handgun Hunters Museum and Hall of Fame.
I was shown Larry's personal office which has not been changed since his death

I'm sitting in Larry's chair with Ken behind me.
I'm holding a one of a kind highly customized Contender made by JD/(SSK) for Larry. Memories are everywhere in this room.
Ken then took me on a tour of the Museum with many stories of his dad relating to many of the mounts.
Since many of you won't go there, I took photos of all 4 walls

Just realize, most of these animals were taken with a .375 JDJ Contender and .44 Mag, not the XP and Encore hand cannons we use today.
I've known the Kellys for 44 years. They are quality people making quality products for the handgunner. I hope you enjoyed this trip back in time.
Posted By: Buckshotharris

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 12:18 AM

Thank you Doc, It reminds me of the of when I worked for Jarrett Rifles and went to the Dallas Safai Club show and the SCI show in Las Vegas ih 1998. I took my copy of "Hunting for Handgunners" along hoping to see Larry or JD. I didn't see them but I got Hal Swiggett to autograph the article about the XP-100 Repeater. And he also gave me his business card. Very humble and personable man. Thank you for the pictures. This Museum is on my bucket list now.

John Harris
Posted By: KRal

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 3:23 AM

Thanks for sharing, Doc! I?ve got to add mag-na-port to my to do list.
Posted By: billa

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 4:22 AM

Thanks Doc. The photos are great. Larry Kelly was an amazing man. A true legend. Innovator, pioneer, Top of his game.
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 10:36 AM

Incredible photos. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 11:17 AM

Wow, thanks for sharing. Incredible experience and great photos. Definite drool factor.
Posted By: JDK

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 3:33 PM

Thank you very much for sharing this. Larry Kelly and JDJ were true pioneers. Ive had a copy of Hunting for Handgunners for years. I regularly re-read the chapters. It's great to have you and Mark Hampton, Big contributors to the book, on the forum. It's like you and Mark's chapters of the book are still being written.
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 5:19 PM

I am lucky enough to live about 45 mins from MNP. I have dropped guns off and told them my firefighter work schedule and have the guns done the next day. Fast forward to last winter. I saw a 44 SBH for sale locally. It was all tricked out by MNP. PERFECT! just what I was wanting. Meet up with the gentleman, and asked why he was selling the gun. I was told he knew Mr. Kelly and one day he was in the shop and Mr. Ruger was there too. This guy said how he always wanted a .44 with the serial number of 44 in it. So a couple months later he gets a call from Mr Kelly to stop by. He hands him a new Ruger SBH with the serial number of 44! So he put this gun in the safe.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 7:22 PM

That great Larry... Wish I was with you
PS- key words are 375JDJ and 44 mag
\:o
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 7:51 PM

THANKS DOC FOR SHARING, THE KELLY's ARE FINE PEOPLE.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/15/2019 11:18 PM

John, not only have I met JD and Larry many times, but I had the rare fortune to be JD and Hal's room mate on the Kenedy Ranch in south TX on a HHI nilgai hunt. The stories I heard and tale tales were unbelievable. He was a kind, considerate man.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Visiting Mag-Na-Port - 09/16/2019 1:07 AM

I met Larry and JD in 1987 on the first HHI Antelope Hunt.

I am one of the lucky few to have Hunting for Handgunners autographed by both of them.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums