Handgunhunt

What to do now.

Posted By: Mr. Bisley

What to do now. - 02/04/2020 12:37 AM

Here in the state of Nebraska, the only game species left to hunt with a handgun is rabbit.

So, what does everyone do besides practice to pass the down time till handgun hunting seasons start in fall? Nebraska doesn?t allow handgun for spring or fall turkey.

Shooting paper and steel can only go do far. I?m bored already.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 12:45 AM

You got any coyotes in your area?
Posted By: Franchise

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 12:52 AM

Go hunt boar or exotics...I'm going in April...it's just too long in between seasons
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 2:37 AM

IN MANY PLACES HOGS ARE AVAILABLE YEAR ROUND. SUMMER IS A GREAT TIME TO HUNT AXIS IN TEXAS. WHAT ABOUT A SPRING BLACK BEAR HUNT? I GET TO HUNT HOGS AND CULL AOUDAD EWES YEAR ROUND AT MY RANCH.
Posted By: billa

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 2:43 AM

Texas sounds awesome. I really need to get there for a hunt one day.
Posted By: Zee

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 3:13 AM

Year round hunting in Texas, if you can stand the heat.
Posted By: rubicon

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 3:57 AM

Pig hunting is a fantastic time.
Posted By: RBO21

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 12:47 PM

Nebraska has some prairie dogs...though you probably won't see them for a couple more months. Good practice for field shooting.
Posted By: short30

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 4:16 PM

Blame James and go to Tioga, headed there in hot July to try it out if plans go as scheduled.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 9:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Bisley
Here in the state of Nebraska, the only game species left to hunt with a handgun is rabbit.

That's easy, hunt the rabbits.
Posted By: junebug

Re: What to do now. - 02/04/2020 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelguns

Hunt rabbits, and the predators that hunt rabbits.
Join a pistol league and shoot indoors.
Work on your form,stretch the range out on your steel targets.
Starlings, English sparrows and rats are always around barns and feed lots A good pellet pistol/rifle for these.
\:\)
Posted By: bluecow

Re: What to do now. - 02/05/2020 11:21 AM

No offense intended. This is the trouble of our specialized world. Think I'm nuts? Just try to find a general dentist that will pull a tooth. A dedicated handgun, muzzle loader, bow hunter, fly fisherman gets lost when the seasons over. Get a mutt and grab your shotgun and hunt birds, rabbits. Go fishing, take a stroll though the woods, go camping ( with a tent and a open fire, not a house on wheels). Grab a big bunch of kids and take a looooong car ride. That will cure ya, after rehab of course
;\)
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: What to do now. - 02/05/2020 2:48 PM

So, what does everyone do besides practice to pass the down time till handgun hunting seasons start in fall? Nebraska doesn?t allow handgun for spring or fall turkey.

Shooting paper and steel can only go do far. I?m bored already.

Hog hunting most definitely. Go someplace south where they roam free and they are abundant as it'll cost less and you might be able to kill multiples. Nothing like a good hog whack and stack to cure your hunting blues.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: What to do now. - 02/05/2020 2:59 PM

Coyotes on any day and prairie dogs do not hibernate like people think. Find a sunny day without a lot of wind and go pd shooting.
Little crazy, but I have done it before in single digit temps
Posted By: Mr. Bisley

Re: What to do now. - 02/05/2020 4:29 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelguns

Hunting rabbits with a 475 Linebaugh is a little more hardcore than I care for. That?s why I wish BFR would make a 22 revolver.
Posted By: junebug

Re: What to do now. - 02/05/2020 5:37 PM

That's easy, hunt the rabbits. [/quote]

Hunting rabbits with a 475 Linebaugh is a little more hardcore than I care for. That?s why I wish BFR would make a 22 revolver. [/quote]

Buy yourself a Single Six or Ruger Wrangler 22 and go hunting. Take the 475 along for a few shots, not all. To stay proficient with a big bore I need to shoot it at least a few shots per month,[better per week] all year long. The 22 fills in the gaps between big bore sessions. Nothing hard core about rabbits and big bore pistols,just a bit more expensive per shot. I shoot thousands of rounds per year of various calibers for every ONE round I fire at a big game animal. I don't consider any of them wasted, but practice for that one shot I may get at big game. Don't forget your muffs or plugs and have fun!
\:\)
Rabbits hunting with a revolver is very good field position, stalking practice too.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: What to do now. - 02/06/2020 11:12 PM

Hogs have saved me several times from going nuts.Good eating too.
Posted By: Buckshotharris

Re: What to do now. - 02/23/2020 12:15 AM

What I like to do in the Off season is spending time at the range testing different components and sharpening my shooting skills. Targets are high in fiber but not very tasty.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums