Handgunhunt

New Contender Wood For The Entire Family

Posted By: tred1956

New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/28/2020 2:44 AM

To completely explain the importance of this New Wood I will start with a little background. My Dad, God rest his soul (He would have been 92 this year) really enjoyed working with wood. He and several of his friends cut a Huge Black Walnut tree down and hauled it to the saw mill. I was about 12 so that would make it about 50 years ago. Daddy kept a 3X10 8 foot long piece of the center of this tree. His plans were to make a mantel for His living room. Unfortunately He never got around to His mantel. After several years of trying to decide what I could use it for, I contacted a Friend of mine Mr. Dave Dolin. The rest is history. I explained to him that I knew nothing about this wood but trusted him to be honest and if it was useless at least it would make a good fire.
Just got a package in the mail from a Fine Gentleman and a good Friend. I was like a Child on Christmas Morning. Couldn't wait to open them. Two are Mine, one is for my Son, one is for my Son-In-Law and the final set is for my Grandson. Can't wait to get them finished. The have some very small defects (look PERFECT to Me), but they sure put a smile on my face when I see them. I know Daddy is looking down and smiling knowing His mantel will be enjoyed by all of us. I sure do miss that precious Man

Thanks again Brother Dave
Doug

Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/28/2020 11:34 AM

Very nice way to use your father's wood.
Posted By: Teep

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/28/2020 12:09 PM

I know how special those things are. My Dad and I cut the walnut trees off the farm in 1962 after we sold the cattle and decided to just grain farm (I was 16). I still have a stack of the lumber and have made several items from it. My fly tying desk is really special and I think of Dad every time I see it. I know you will really enjoy handling those Contenders once that wood goes on them.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/28/2020 12:19 PM

Very nice story and nice grips.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/28/2020 8:44 PM

Please show us some more pics, when you get them finished and mounted ! I imagine they are going to be great !
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/29/2020 11:51 AM

NEAT STORY AND PROJECT. HOPE THEY TURN OUT REALLY NICE.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 03/29/2020 3:27 PM

Looking forward to seeing the finished wood.

Bob R
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 04/01/2020 6:04 PM

Over the last few years, we have lost my mother and mother in law. My grandmother passed years prior. I have all of their rolling pins, as I could not bear to see those family heirlooms discarded, or sold at a garage sale. As a young boy, I well remember watching those ladies roll out biscuits, dumplings and other creations and waiting expectantly for the finished products to emerge from the oven. The crafting of homemade biscuits is becoming a lost art thanks to the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Our great grandchildren's memories of biscuits will likely consist of opening a can or a freezer bag. It occurred to me that these solid maple bakers tools could be the nucleus of some fine forearms for my pistols. Its on the list.
Posted By: tred1956

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 07/02/2020 4:48 PM

Son-In-Law has his finished but I am still working on some of mine. Grip on pistol shown is mine and the other two photos are his.

Safe Shooting
Doug

Posted By: reflex264

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 07/02/2020 6:32 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 07/02/2020 7:32 PM

I did not know you were such a woodsmith. Very nice work. Congratulations.
Posted By: kalhoon

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 07/05/2020 10:23 PM

Looks great
Posted By: bluecow

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 07/06/2020 11:04 AM

GREAT Thanks for sharing
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 07/06/2020 12:34 PM

very nice
Posted By: SCARPETTA

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 08/26/2020 1:03 AM

I like the natural light color . Delight comes with completion of good craftsmanship.
Thanks for the pics.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: New Contender Wood For The Entire Family - 08/28/2020 2:02 PM

Very nice!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums