Handgunhunt

Killing time.

Posted By: junebug

Killing time. - 03/31/2020 2:19 AM

Been doing projects around the house,trailer repair,building a welding table/ work bench, loading ammo, lawn mower repair, mowing grass. Busy work to pass the time on jobs that needed doing. Beautiful day today so I took the Chipmunk, a Contender,and a couple of .22 rifles out on the back deck with some C B caps and spent a couple of hours shooting,Trigger Therapy if you will. So what have you guys been doing during this forced lock down,to keep from going nuts?
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Killing time. - 03/31/2020 3:20 AM

JB, I had a project I wanted to complete and finished just before the sh-it hit the fan.. Always liked the S&W m-29-3 with the 10 5/8" silhouette barrel but being pre-endurence, plus you would have to drill and tap for a scope mount which would hurt collector value I always wanted to install the long barrel on a recent production model 29. I finally found one along with the extra high rear sight.. Removed the 8 3/8" barrel in padded vice and screwed in the "long Tom"on a 29-8. Set the gap at .002" installed a Weaver scope base and now I can set the handgun hunting world on fire...I was going to write this up but since you asked...
PS- I have plenty of free time now and there`s a few more that I`ll write about.
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: Killing time. - 03/31/2020 3:39 PM

no travel or social gatherings with our company soooo- a couple reloading sessions, trips to the range wringing out new 375 win load. woods walks with the dog gathering resources for an upcoming outdoors skills class that i teach. broke out the boat yesterday and went and tried for some walleye at our local lake that just went ice out two - three days ago. Starting to refab the blind on my layout duck boat. building new walleye rods for my wife and I. working on finishing some knife handles on three knives that are in progress. finished three batches of bacon/cheese/bear sausage. researching south dakota turkey hunting areas in the black hills after ordering our tags online last night. south dakota actually allows handguns for turkeys.
more projects everyday as we practice social distancing.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Killing time. - 03/31/2020 9:58 PM

Cleaning off my reloading tabie/gun bench, and revamping a hew things on my 93 Suburban K2500 before hunting season. Need to go check on my Louisiana place, but I am locked down!

Re: Killing time. - 03/31/2020 10:51 PM

Looking good James.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Killing time. - 03/31/2020 10:58 PM

Since I'm retirde(d) I had plenty of free time anyway. Got all my major yardwork/tree cutting done in Jan. in 60* temps. Waxed 3 vehicles. No grass to cut yet. Too early for garden.
So..that left me with 3X/week trips to the shooting range and groundhog hunting. A hard life, but after 44 years of 6-7 days a week & 10-24 hr. work days I figured I was due to doing nothingness of importance.
Went to the gun range yesterday and it was closed!!!!!!!!due to the virus. The nearest case in WV is 80-100 miles from my county. Our benches are 6' apart and I usually see 2 or 3 people a day. Not a lot of common sense when people get paniced.
C'est la vie. Guess I'll keep hunting until garden time comes.

Re: Killing time. - 04/01/2020 1:04 AM

nice retro James, now you are halfway to the game before pulling the trigger!! it should be a tack driver, the scope will definitely help ring out the potential of that rig.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Killing time. - 04/01/2020 4:17 AM

I cut and split another rank of fire wood just to be sure Winter is over. Took the Sportsman's Club's Skag Turf Tiger II Zero Turn to the shop for it's Spring Check Up Monday. Got my Big Dog mower out of the barn. I need to take it to the shop also for Spring maintenance.
I installed 56 feet of new shelving in the barn. Now to do some Spring Clean up. One of the shelves is actually more of a work bench for my Monster Dillon Case Cleaner, and Shell Case Sifter. I installed an 8-32X Weaver Classic Extreme 30mm scope on my Encore 1 in 10 twist 223 Barrel. I still need to install the 2.5-10X Extreme Classic on my CZ 452 Bull Barrel 22. It presently has a 20X Super Sniper on it. I thought I would get it set up more like a deer rifle and let the wife get in some trigger time between now and November with it. I just finished replacing all the incandescent lights in the barn with 5000K LED Corn Lights. Talk about an improvement in lighting.
I work part time at the Hardware Store, so I will be back to work Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
I sure hope they do not close down the Scenic Riverways. I plan to get in some serious Canoe or Kayak time this Summer. I talked the wife into using the old Osagen Classic 17' aluminum canoe again last summer. We have had it for 30 years of so, and last year I added drink holders. That was a big upgrade.

Bob R
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Killing time. - 04/02/2020 1:12 AM

Working.

Re: Killing time. - 04/03/2020 1:05 AM

Cut a tree out of the yard today,trimmed shrubs,pruned some more trees,made a trellis for my wife's flowers. Busy day and tired tonight. Could stand to load a few more shells for the 243,30-06 ,480 but not tonight. Sixteen more days till turkey season.
Stay safe out there guys and girls.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Killing time. - 04/03/2020 3:16 PM

I?ve been doing some of the same things you guys are doing, but since I?m retired, I kinda stay caught up. Right now, between rains, I have food plots to get ready. A couple new ones were sprayed last week, just waiting for them to finish dying and then, dodging the rain hopefully, I?ll be liming them.

I?m still trying to trap hogs and coons, not having much luck, but what else do I have to do ? I did shoot my Single Six a little this morning on the way back from checking my traps, and I?m gonna give it a little cleaning.

After that, check the radar, and if no rain for a couple hours, I?m gonna give my OM SBH a little workout at 50 yards from the bench. Since I live in the country, and there?s 80 acres out my back door, thankfully I don?t need to go anywhere to shoot.

Stay safe guys and we will get through this crap !

Re: Killing time. - 04/04/2020 3:10 AM

trapping coons? thought high speed lead poisoning was the flavor of the day. Seriously try grape jelly for bait, used it for ten years on my trap line and nuisance trapping and nothing could compare for numbers caught.

Re: Killing time. - 04/06/2020 10:21 PM

New belts on the mower today,drive belt and deck,sharpened blades. Finished up mowing.Only thing I have shot for 3-4 days was pellet pistol couple of times today,English sparrows in Blue Bird house.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Killing time. - 04/08/2020 1:38 PM

Turkey hunting and working on guns. Set up a couple of glocks for a buddy and working on my Lefever shotgun. I have most of the parts now to start on my .460 Rowland wheel gun. May start that next week. I need to get the 357 project gun back out and dial it in at 100 yards.

Firing pin I made for the 1928 lefever:
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums