Handgunhunt

BFR sights

Posted By: briarhopper

BFR sights - 04/18/2020 11:32 PM

I recently purchased a Precision Center BFR from a fellow member here on the forum. It is a .44mag, bisley grip with 7 1/2" bbl and a Bushnell scope. Its a beautiful piece. My problem is, no matter how many times Ive tried over the years, I just cant do a scoped handgun. Mostly because of portability on horseback, but there are other reasons as well.

So Ive removed the scope. I have a quality gunsmith here local who can drill and tap the barrell for a front sight of my choice. I can purchase SBH rear sights anywhere, and they fit BFR.

My idea is to either get a standard Ruger rear sight and buy a one-ragged-hole blade for it, or get a Bowen V-blade sight. Im really leaning more toward the Bowen. For the front, I want a gold bead. That setup seems to work best for my eyes.

Any advice? Especially choosing a front sight? Am I missing anything in my research? Any feedback and advice would be appreciated.

Re: BFR sights - 04/18/2020 11:55 PM

Here's a picture ...

Re: BFR sights - 04/18/2020 11:59 PM

...and one with her clothes on, just because.
Posted By: junebug

Re: BFR sights - 04/19/2020 1:00 AM

Have you tried a reflex or red dot type sight. There are chest holsters out there that work well with scopes,reflex or red dot type sights.

Re: BFR sights - 04/19/2020 1:14 AM

I have not tried red dots or a reflex sight on a revolver, no. I had a reflex on a 1911 once, and eventually moved it to an AR. Then sold it. I always just wind up going back to irons.
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: BFR sights - 04/19/2020 1:41 AM

when i had open sights on my srh 44 i had a v rear, gold bead front. i felt i could aim smaller.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: BFR sights - 04/19/2020 1:00 PM

On my FA .475 L I have a rear V sight and green & orange fiber optic front sights. I have a Ruger .44 with rear V and front gold bead.
The gold bead works good in good light, but the fiber optics do much better in dimmer light. Used the orange on my rhino at 30 yds (good against the dark skin) and the green on my lion at 30 yds (good contrast with the light brown skin).
The gold bead does allow a little finer "picture" at extended range, but I've used the fiber optics out to 75 yds. on deer without problems.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: BFR sights - 04/19/2020 1:10 PM

I have several standard Ruger sights if they will work.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: BFR sights - 04/19/2020 9:41 PM

Awesome piece
Posted By: Jeffrey G.

Re: BFR sights - 04/25/2020 8:10 AM

I would go with a Bowen Classic Arms rear adjustable sight and a V notch is good for fast acquisition with a big dot front sight. I have a big dot McGivern gold sight on my 500 S&W magnum with a 6.5 inch half-lug barrel and it shows up over my Target Bowen Classic Arms rear sight with a target notch. My model 329PD 44 magnum has a V-notch rear sight and Mag-Na Port EDM'ed aka electrical discharge machined a vertical line in the blade and filled it with white to help line up with the front thin fluorescent red tube. I have a Mepro big dot tritium to use with it now though. Hope this helps.

Re: BFR sights - 05/05/2020 3:38 PM

I found a fella on another sight by the name of Fermin Garza, and he custome machines front sights. I had him make me one, and he did a beautiful job. I highly recommend his work, and he's a great guy to work with. I just need to get a smith to drill and tap the bbl now for it.

I went ahead and just ordered a standard BFR rear sight, but it appears they are on back order indefinitely. So I picked up a regular Ruger sight for the interim and installed it last night.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: BFR sights - 05/05/2020 8:16 PM

I am pretty sure the BFR rear sights are LPA sights.

You can also buy them here:
https://fusionfirearms.com/ruger-gp100-revolver-adjustable-target-sight

Re: BFR sights - 05/12/2020 2:20 PM

Revolver is at the smith now, getting front sight mounted this week. He's also adjusting the timing, which was a little off. I should get it back Saturday evening. Then off to the range
\:\)
Posted By: Jeffrey G.

Re: BFR sights - 05/15/2020 12:47 AM

LPA makes sights for BFR so use them if you cannot go through BFR. BFR is the middle man so go directly to who supplies BFR in dealing with LPA sights.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums