Handgunhunt

.454 reloading dies

Posted By: ivoryhunter

.454 reloading dies - 05/16/2020 3:44 PM

To date I have been reloading for my .454 Casull SBH with the Lee 4 die set which has been ok but of the 4 dies only the seating die is .454 specific the other all being .45 LC which Lee does note is the case in their instructions.
Having read that it is a good idea to use dies specific to the .454 I purchased the RCBS 3 die carbide set but have noticed the RCBS die does not size down to the base of the case as far as the Lee. Is that typical? Also I am using the Lee shell holder, would the RCBS set require their shell holder?
Would appreciate any advice, thanks.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/16/2020 4:53 PM

I've used the same Lee .454 set that you have for 15+ years. Only problem I've had is sometimes the seater die doesn't crimp well. I solved that by getting a Lee .45 cal. crimp die. Works great.
I use Lee shell holder for their priming tool and RCBS shell holder for reloading (already had it for .44 Mag.) I use Lee shell holders with some other RCBS dies (different calibers) with never any problems.
I've loaded and shot well over 2500 rounds for my 3 different .454s with no problems EVER by mixing shell holder and dies. I consider the Lee sizing die excellent. I use them in all my straight wall revolver cases except .475 which they don't make.
I've always looked at Lee dies as the Rodney Dangerfield of loading dies- no respect, but decent price and they always work.

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/16/2020 5:36 PM

Thanks for the input on the Lee Dies and being able to mix shell holders I have been reloading about 4 years now and have only used Lee dies and load for several rifle and pistol calibers on a Lee single stage press, not an extravagant set up but keeps me in ammo each weekend and the dies seem to work just fine, I had read in a few articles that the .454 should have dedicated dies not adjusted .45 Colt but as you noted the Lee works just fine and no doubt produce a better cartridge than I am a shooter. The Lee factory crimp does work great and had to use it to go back and re-crimp some Hornady Custom ammo that was pulling the crimp.

Thanks again for your reply.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/16/2020 8:16 PM

I bought a Lee 3 die set when I got my 454...Went to the range and the bullets jumped the crimp... bought the lee factory crimp die, and like Doc, never had a problem....

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/16/2020 10:35 PM

Thanks James for weighing in, feeling better about my Lee dies. As noted I did already purchase the RCBS dies. Does anyone have much experience with them? It is the 3 die carbide set, I only got as far as setting up the sizing die and when I saw it did not go down as far on the case as the Lee die I just went back to using the Lees without trying the RCBS expander or seating dies.
Posted By: karl

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/17/2020 12:42 AM

I use the RCBS dies for 454. It is my first straight walled cartridge experience and it seems to be working fine. I'm shooting XTP and XPB so I don't bell the case mouth. I also seat and crimp at the same time with starline cases. i'm shooting ~250gn bullets at ~ 1600fps and they don't jump in a SRH with ~ 300 rounds down range.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/17/2020 4:24 PM

Ivoryhunter,

I bought RCBS dies for my 454 for the same reason you did. They were the dies that Freedom Arms sells on their website so I thought why not go with what works for the parent company of the cartridge. If I recall, mine size the full length of the case down to where the case wall meets the web of the case head. I have had no problem with mine.

I have a set of Lee dies for my 45 colt and now for 480 Ruger. I like Docs comment about the "Rodney Dangerfield" of reloading dies! haha I like my Lee dies. In some small ways I like them better than the RCBS because they tend not to loosen up while in a loading session because of the o-ring locking ring. That being said, I am still sticking with the RCBS for the 454. I use a Lee Classic Turret Press and lee shell holder with mine, no problems

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/17/2020 9:32 PM

Just inspected some of my sized brass and compared it to the Lee sized 480 brass I had in front of me. The RCBS does indeed NOT size as far down as the Lee,

but I haven't experienced any problem due to this.

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/17/2020 10:14 PM

Thanks for checking guess that is how the RCBS die works. Brass is pretty thick and rigid down near the rim which may be why they stop there.

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/18/2020 1:21 AM

I don't think its that the die "can't" size all the way down because of the brass tension,its likely just the design of the die itself
Posted By: BIZZMO

Re: .454 reloading dies - 05/18/2020 4:10 AM

I use redding dies for .454 .44 mag and .41 mag all with micrometer seating dies .Ive tried redding profile and roll crimp dies and they're all in a drawer somewhere!I switched to lee factory crimp dies for everything and that was the end of all my problems ever!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums