Handgunhunt

confirming drop at longer ranges

Posted By: dave thomas

confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/01/2020 1:39 PM

how many guys see a considerable difference between the ballistic programs projected bullet drops and true confirmed bullet drop?
I zeroed my 7-08 striker at 200 yards and the true bullet drop with 140 grain berger vld was 6.5 inches. that is a full two inches less than strelok had calculated. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it is flatter than what was calculated. this doesnt seem like a big deal at 300 but running that out to 500 makes a considerable difference and if shooting smaller targets like varmints and would probably cause misses.
I am just assuming that the vld bullet is causing this flatter trajectory even though the specs of the bullet was listed on their charts.
FYI, i have been shooting long range with rifles for years and have never ran a ballistics calculator. Old school i guess. but with technology, jumping into the 21st century with the phone programs was pretty easy. Even a caveman can do it!
Posted By: Teep

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/01/2020 1:54 PM

I think they just give us a good starting point as each gun will shoot differently. The thing I really like about them is it gives me a good starting point to figure out the best range to start with my zero range setting. One thing that has always concerned me about them is the ballistic coefficient changes as the bullet slows down and I don't see how the calculators can compensate for this.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/01/2020 7:04 PM

Does the program take into account atmospheric conditions and wind?
Posted By: Zee

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/02/2020 3:48 PM

You have to ?true? the ballistics program.

In StrelokPro, you input the data (cartridge/rifle) and it will give you an estimate. You then have to shoot at certain distances and adjust your data in the program for it to start putting out reliable data.
For instance, I use StrelokPro. After I build a gun in the program, I shoot it at 400/800/1,200 yards and correct or adjust the program. After that, it?s pretty darn spot on or within 1/10 or 2/10 Mil on every distance out to subsonic.

Do you know how to true the program? There is an icon you select that takes you to the page where you adjust your actual hold from the recommended one. Once you do that, and save the data, the program reworks the ballistics algorithm to give you better data.

I use StrelokPro and Applied Ballistics programs. They are pretty good tools.

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/02/2020 3:52 PM

On my phone, it?s the bottom right icon with the yellow line arching towards a Bullsi on the right with a blue arrow pointing g up and down. Once you select it it takes you to a page that?s titled ?Trajectory Validation (Truing)?.

Adjust your actual hold and it will recalculate your velocity To give you the proper dope. Hit ?use these values? and save. Easy peasy.

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/04/2020 11:33 PM

Thanks Zee. I had not done that with any of the rifles or pistols that i have loaded in the strelok pro. after loading in the info for my 6.5 creedmoor rifle i found it spot on at 1000 and within 1/4 minute out to 1450 yards so i didnt think that i would have to adjust anything as that was the only gun i had real info loaded into the program.

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/05/2020 3:31 AM

Skynet hasn?t taken over the whole world yet, we still need to feed it info to give us the data we want. 😁

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/05/2020 4:03 AM

Don?t forget to upload your current weather every time you shoot as well. Your density altitude will change depending on the current conditions.

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/06/2020 3:11 AM

thank you sir!
Posted By: Teep

Re: confirming drop at longer ranges - 08/06/2020 11:33 AM

Also don't forget the effect of the temperature on your powder.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums