Handgunhunt

Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 08/31/2020 10:56 PM

Well, after over 8 months of waiting, I finally got my hands on some of Hornady's brand new line of handgun ammunition marketed specifically towards handgun hunters.

First impressions seem to be good. Not crazy about the price ($45 for 20), but that's not quite as expensive as many other options.

The 200 grain Monoflex is filled with a very strange polymer. Unlike the XTP, which has a tip of hard red rubber protruding from the cavity, these Monoflex have a black concave polymer filling that has the consistency of silicone or putty.

The hollow-point cavity is absolutely tremendous.

The OAL for the Handgun Hunter loads are about 2.130", far shorter than the 2.275" advertised for the FTX. Velocity on the box is listed as 2,150 fps compared to the FTX's advertised 2,200.

California hunters should note that these bullets are certified non-lead projectiles.

What do you guys think? Should I pull one of the bullets to take some more measurements?
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 09/04/2020 11:11 PM

Very nice, glad to see it hitting the store shelves.

Eric.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 09/05/2020 7:29 PM

From what I understand, a lot of research and development went into these bullets, and from the hunting shows I've seen and the recovered bullets, they are a million times better than the EXTREMELY fragile 200 gr FTX bullets.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 09/08/2020 1:23 PM

Interesting. I doubt I would pull a bullet. If the bullet doesn't become available as a component I wouldn't worry about it. Shoot the ballistic buffalo and let it rip.
Posted By: bscott

Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 09/30/2020 7:17 AM

Do they only make in a .460?
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 09/30/2020 6:11 PM

460 is the only caliber I've seen in stock anywhere as of now. They're going to offer it in 357, 44, 454, 9mm, 10mm, and 40 S&W, but I don't know how long it'll be before they're in stock.
Posted By: bscott

Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter Ammo - First Impressions - 10/01/2020 8:54 PM

Cool, just curious
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums