Handgunhunt

Water Buffalo as table fare

Posted By: BKS

Water Buffalo as table fare - 09/07/2020 7:13 PM

Title says it all. Do you eat the water buffalo if you go shoot one?
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Water Buffalo as table fare - 09/07/2020 11:58 PM

Burger it....cows are a little more tender than bulls. The taste is good, but like any breed of cattle....they get tougher with age.....and tough is an understatement on a bull.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Water Buffalo as table fare - 09/08/2020 12:53 PM

I killed one that was around 2500lbs. We ended up with over 1000lbs of meat. The flavor was great. The steaks all ended up getting cooked all day like roasts in crock pots. They were great cooked that way. The burger made great chili providing it time to slow cook. Basically it was tough. I was advised by someone with more experience on water buff, next time to shoot a meat calf which is what they call 600lbs buffalo. It was hard to judge how big the thing really was without being around them. One of the guys first told me around 1800lbs bit a girth measurement showed that it was much bigger. If I kill another one I will look for something around 1/4th the size of the behemoth I shot. Not complaining but I think you need to know this up front. Just my thinking but cow elk is much better meat and you can kill them in several places cheaper than a water buffalo.
Posted By: RH Custom Guns

Re: Water Buffalo as table fare - 09/09/2020 1:48 PM

I'd be interested to try it but I've never met a meat that wasn't made good by cooking low and slow in the crock pot.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums