Handgunhunt

Copper fouling

Posted By: longhunter

Copper fouling - 09/08/2020 11:12 PM

So what do you guys recommend for copper fouling, I have a couple revolvers I can never seem to get it all out.
Posted By: Pa. Mike

Re: Copper fouling - 09/08/2020 11:39 PM

I have had good luck with Bore Tech Eliminator and also their Bore Tech Copper Remover.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Copper fouling - 09/09/2020 1:04 AM

I use Hoppes' #9 Bench Rest Copper Solvent. If you can't seem to get the copper out through normal cleaning, plug the barrel and pour some of the copper solvent in the bore overnight.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Copper fouling - 09/09/2020 12:58 PM

I have used Barnes CR10 with great results.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Copper fouling - 09/09/2020 1:25 PM

If you want a liquid. Shooter choice has always been best for me. If you like the foam like I do the Hoppes and the break free work great.

If you want the bad ass foam use Wipe Out but remove the wood grips prior it will take the finish off of them.
Posted By: karl

Re: Copper fouling - 09/09/2020 1:54 PM

Shooters choice is my typical go-to. Ditto on plugging the barrel. There is a thicker cleaner I use too, but I don't recall the brand. On a side note, I have noticed that after a through cleaning to get all signs of copper/jacket out of the barrel, Ezz-ox has prevented the return of the copper/jacket deposition between the lands at the muzzle.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Copper fouling - 09/17/2020 6:24 AM

I need to clean the fouling out of my heavy barrel 204 Ruger AR15. I have been putting this off for a while now. The above information on products should be handy to know.

Bob R
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Copper fouling - 09/17/2020 6:05 PM

Check out ?wipeout tactical advantage?. I like it as an overall cleaner. Recently tried it.

Otherwise.....remington 40x bore cleaner, and 50/50 mix shooters choice and kroil has worked well in the past.

An old gunsmith on youtube used nothing but mineral spirits. Said all that was needed. Anything else was a sales gimmick. He is probably not far off.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums