Handgunhunt

Should I drill and tap a 686-3??

Posted By: RBO21

Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/09/2020 11:00 PM

I have a S&W 686-3 that I like shooting. I would like to hunt with it more than I do, but would feel more comfortable using a reflex sight on it. Would I ruin the value? It has already been Magna Ported by the previous owner, so not exactly original anyway.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/09/2020 11:22 PM

This makes me cry. But since it's already been abused, might as well make it work for ya. Lot of guys like the reflex sight for sure. I've never used one.
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/12/2020 2:05 AM

if you want to shoot it more go for it. if it already ported it isnt going to hurt the value.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/13/2020 5:43 PM

No need to drill and tape. Get you a Weigand mini mount and hit the woods.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/13/2020 6:26 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
No need to drill and tape. Get you a Weigand mini mount and hit the woods.
Posted By: RBO21

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/20/2020 2:07 PM

I thought the mini mount still required you to drill and tap. I'll take a look.
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/21/2020 3:04 AM

should mount in the rear sight hole
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/23/2020 9:41 PM

Weigand website has a complete description on the mounting.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 11/29/2020 1:01 PM

JMHO! We worry way too much about the value,the next generation, preserving guns original whatever..... Unless its a vary rare or historical firearm then bend, twist, chop, modify to your hearts content. Make it into what you want. What makes Colt 1st gen SAA so valuable is that most where used and used hard for years (BTW thats what they where made for). If we took every new S&W 6somethingorother-whattoheck and locked em away, 75 years from now they wouldn't have any great value.

;\)
I'll take my soap box and go home now, thanks
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 12/04/2020 8:05 PM

If you prefer drilling and tapping have your gunsmith drill and tap your gun just like S&W does on its newer factory models. The factory rear sight is removed and the holes are drilled in the sight channel. If you want to change back to iron sights, remove the scope and replace the iron sight. If done properly, the holes will not show. I had a Model 27 done like this, and it works great.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 12/06/2020 7:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Sawfish
If you prefer drilling and tapping have your gunsmith drill and tap your gun just like S&W does on its newer factory models. The factory rear sight is removed and the holes are drilled in the sight channel. If you want to change back to iron sights, remove the scope and replace the iron sight. If done properly, the holes will not show. I had a Model 27 done like this, and it works great.

Marvin says it all above
Posted By: short30

Re: Should I drill and tap a 686-3?? - 12/18/2020 7:44 PM

also concur, see BB as I D&T'd under factory site and installed Weigand, worked with reddot for me - mine was a well used 4 inch that I had bought then sold then went back and re-bought from a friend - it was just too good to let get away.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums