Handgunhunt

Encore's and Barrel's

Posted By: Bob Roach

Encore's and Barrel's - 12/05/2020 9:21 PM

My local dealer finally got in Three more Encores after a several month delay. I had two spoke for and my buddy Jeff had the third one. All Three were out the door within 48 hours of arrival. I had picked up a Blued action a while back. I traded it in, and took home two more Stainless Steel Pro Hunters.
I now have FOUR complete Stainless Pro Hunter Pistols. A 223 Remington, 260 Remington, 7.62x54R, and 356 Winchester.
I have an order in to Tony for another 11" Forend. I need to do an inventory, but I will probably need Amber to build me another Case or two.

I will now need to round up ONE more Blued G2 Frame with Grip. That will set me up with FOUR complete Contenders/G2's. My Original early 1990's Contender is pretty much my dedicated 22 LR Trigger Time Pistol now days. In Centerfires I have a 357 Maximum "MGM", 6.5x30JDJ, and a 35 BullBerry.

After the first of the year I will probably start sending them in to Stratton for Trigger Jobs. The Encore's and G2's need a little more help than simple adjustments. It is much easier to shoot little groups with a nice trigger. Which also means it is much easier to hit a deer exactly where you intended to with a nice trigger.

I probably should start looking at my Contender/G2 Glass to finish up my upgrades. I have one new 2-7 Burris that is not mounted. I believe I still have a couple of the OLD 2-7 Burris scopes from the early 1990's on my older barrels. I killed one and it was replaced with a new model. I was very impressed on how much brighter and clearer the new model Burris scopes are compared to the old scopes. I was impressed enough that I have bought a couple more of the new models.

I have had muzzle brakes installed on all my centerfire barrels except the 223. I am getting pretty close to having everything where I want it to be.

Bob R
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Encore's and Barrel's - 12/06/2020 1:01 AM

That's awesome! At one point, I was going to go down this rabbit hole, but never did. Now I'm on the specialty pistol wagon thanks to a weekend at Wy-shot two years ago. I only have the one XP right now, but I have another one coming in the near future.

Post a picture of the crew when ya get them all set up. I'd like to see them.

Well done!!!
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Encore's and Barrel's - 12/06/2020 3:46 AM

I could have very easily went down another path. A few years ago my local dealer took in a couple Savage Strikers on trade. I believe one was a 223 and the other may have been a 7-08. They were priced right, but the cheap plastic stocks really turned me off. I did not realize how easy it would be to swap Barrels and Bolt Heads at the time. Today we also have a source on laminated stocks that I am sure I would be content with.
If I had bought a Striker I am sure I would have fewer barrels to cover the same bases. I am sure I would also have a lot less $$$ invested.
One Scope instead of Eight.
Fewer muzzle brakes. All of my centerfires except the 223 have brakes.
One nice laminated stock would be much cheaper than Eight of Tony's Forends. I guess that would be Seven of Tony's Forends the Eighth is a BullBerry which is even more expensive.
I have a Gunsmith down the road who builds Bench Rest and Tactical Steel Rifles. Between take off rifle barrels and customs I am sure I would have way less invested in barrels for a Striker than I do for my Contenders and Encores.
Only ONE Trigger to work on.

Thinking about it I would have ended up with a Rimfire Striker also for Trigger Time.
Still way less expensive than multiple break actions with multiple scopes, multiple custom forends, and multiple custom cases.

Raptortrapper you probably made a better decision to go with Bolt Guns than I did with Multiple break actions.

As much as I like my break actions. If someone decided to pay me what I would want for all TEN of my break actions (Note: I also have a couple CVA's) I am sure I would replace the break actions with TWO Strikers. One a Rimfire probably a 22 LR as my trigger time handgun. The second would be a centerfire with the following barrels: 22-250AI, 260, 7-08, and 308. Why a 22-250AI, I have a die set for it on hand, along with all my other choices. I might add a 358 to that list.

I could replace all Ten of my break actions with Two Strikers, Two Scopes, Two Custom Laminated Stocks, and Four make that Five Barrels.

I still like my Break Actions. I like not needing to swap barrels when I decide to shoot another chambering. I can loan one to a neighbor wanting to try out handgun hunting, and not miss having it to hunt with myself. I help Amber feed her kids by making me more custom cases, and sand bags. Ten complete Hunting Handguns will bring the wife more money after I die than a switch barrel Striker that would not bring near what I had in it without me finding it a home myself on a handgun hunting forum. I am happy with what I have, and getting happier as I get them all closer to perfection.

Bob R

Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Encore's and Barrel's - 12/06/2020 12:38 PM

Wow, nice collection. You definitely are covered for most anything.
And I thought I was redundant by having 3 Encore actions and 1 Contender. My dedicated handgun action was given to Gil Hebard in 1999 by TC when won the American Handgunner of the year. Serial number is HOY1999. It was a 44 mag. I've added a 12" TC 223 barrel and an MGM 9" 357 barrels. My other two Encore actions have a 20 ga rifled barrel, a 50 cal muzzleloader, and a45-70 Kathadin barrel.
My Contender includes 22LR, 357 octagon, 221 Fireball, 375 Winchester, and 45/410.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Encore's and Barrel's - 12/08/2020 2:05 AM

Sounds like you've got a great collection going there. Encores are an addiction, and dang it, I'm also hooked.
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Encore's and Barrel's - 12/08/2020 5:43 AM

currently sitting on a new encore frame with no barrels. Yet.
good luck on the rest of your upgrades.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Encore's and Barrel's - 12/08/2020 9:47 PM

I am in the no barrel change group. Makes life much easier.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums