Handgunhunt

Problems with 480 and Lyman trimmer

Posted By: Vance in AK.

Problems with 480 and Lyman trimmer - 05/01/2021 11:54 PM

Hey guys.  Im having trouble getting 480 brass to load in my Lyman Universal Trimmer's chuck.  I've backed the shaft out of the chuck as far as I dare.  The brass just doesn't want to fit in.  If I press the detent ball in with something while inserting it it will go but I sure dont want to do that every time.  44 mag brass will pop in as will 308.  Anyone else have this issue?  Solutuons?
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Problems with 480 and Lyman trimmer - 05/02/2021 3:37 AM

I had a problem with Hornady Brass not going in my RCBS Shell Holder. I reworked some of it, then sent it back to Hornady. They sent it back with a Hornady shell holder which worked better. The Hornady must not have been the exact same dimension as the Starline which fit in my RCBS shell holder just fine.

Bob R
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Problems with 480 and Lyman trimmer - 05/03/2021 4:20 PM

Man Bob it's been so long since I reloaded for this that I forgot there was an issue with rim thickness on the Hornady. I think you posted something on this long ago right? All my brass is Hornady but my shellholders are Lee & no problems there and I wasn't trimming at the time so I never ran into a problem!
My longest cases are only .002 over trim length so I think I will be fine for this go around & will get a Lee case length gauge to use with my Lee trimmer.
Thank you sir!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums