Handgunhunt

BFR Revolver Old vs. New

Posted By: JDK

BFR Revolver Old vs. New - 05/04/2021 12:40 AM

Hello folks! I've got a question. Is there a difference in quality, dimension, etc. between a Magnum Research BFR made today and one from pre-2010? Specifically, I have a line on a 475 Linebaugh BFR at what seems a decent price, but the owner believes he bought it in 2007. It has the old traditional handle with rubber grips, and didn't come with a scope mount. I'd appreciate any info you could offer. Thanks!

ETA: It has the "JT" serial number prefix.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: BFR Revolver Old vs. New - 05/05/2021 7:59 PM

The original BFR was manufactured by D-Max. The Pistol was later acquired by Magnum Research and renamed the BFR. The serial numbers of the D-Max guns began with the prefix "DM". Magnum Research later re-engineered the BFR making it a much stronger, and smoother operating pistol. Prefixes on the improved models begin with the prefix "JT". The initial run of the improved models was chambered in .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh.
Posted By: Jeffrey G.

Re: BFR Revolver Old vs. New - 06/01/2021 12:55 AM

[i][/i]A Magnum Research Bisley grip frame can be retro-fitted to that Magnum Research 475 Linebaugh/ 480 Ruger revolver. [size:17pt][/size]
Posted By: bearskinner

Re: BFR Revolver Old vs. New - 01/08/2022 3:55 PM

I had a 475L BFR 15 years ago, and absolutely hated the feel and balance. Yes, at least to me, grip feel makes ALL the difference.
I recently picked up a Bisley gripped BFR that a friend was using. Huge difference. I have a new Bisley BFR now
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums