Handgunhunt

Extraction Problems Solved

Posted By: Memtb460

Extraction Problems Solved - 05/29/2021 1:20 PM

.......I hope!

I’ve been trying to work up a good hunting load for my S&W 460 XVR. I’ve been using my “homegrown” cast, powder coated 400 grain bullets, and getting extremely difficult extraction. I assumed that this was a over-pressure situation....though, I was well within listed load data. I also had velocities that were below book listed maximum velocities.....indicating I was below maximum pressures!

I measured and remeasured everything that could be measured....bore, cylinder throats, cylinder measurements end to end. I polished the cylinder “charge holes” (chambers) and throats, and bullet OD’s.....even sizing them smaller by 0.001”. Nothing seemed to correct the problem.....still having to drive the cases out via a dowel rod! I even tried different powders at starting loads....to no avail!

My wife suggested that I change to some newly purchased brass. This was about the “only” thing I hadn’t tried! I didn’t think this would make any difference, as I was using Hornady brass that only had about 3 firings on it.....1st firing was factory loads, 2nd firing was store bought bullets, and now my bullets! But....everything else has been tried!

I tried using my new Starline brass......the fired cases almost jumped out of the cylinder! 🤔 I’ve since stepped-up my charges, nearing maximum listed loads, and the cases are easily extracted! 😁

My guess, and it’s truly a guess, is that the Hornady brass has lost it’s elasticity (my term), and is not reducing in size after firing! Only after several firings with this Starline brass will I get a more complete picture. At this point, I’m just thankful that when hunting, I don’t have to continue to drive the cases out .....looking like a black powder shooter reloading his “smoke pole”!

Summary: It appears that sticking brass doesn’t necessarily indicate excessive pressures! This has been a first time experience for me! memtb
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Extraction Problems Solved - 05/29/2021 3:46 PM

As crazy as it sounds, there are definitely variations in tolerances between manufacturers, even of the same calibers/cartridges....I've noticed that Hornady brass is thicker than others. If Starline makes brass in any of my rounds, that's what I use 😉😁 It's Good Stuff 😁😁😁
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Extraction Problems Solved - 05/29/2021 7:21 PM

Star line brass is all I use in my 460”s, I’ve never had a problem, I’m glad you solved your problem.
Posted By: karl

Re: Extraction Problems Solved - 05/29/2021 7:27 PM

PPU rifle brass always sticks for me. Hornady gives me head separation issues in rifle brass.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums