Handgunhunt

Thinking about a custom BFR

Posted By: handgunhuntr

Thinking about a custom BFR - 02/24/2022 12:44 AM

I would like your thoughts on a project I have been thinking about for awhile. I have considered having a BFR made in 357 magnum with a 5 shot cylinder, bisley grip, and 5.5" barrel. I have read about the freedom arms 353 Casull and it has got me thinking it might work for deer, bear and even groundhogs. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Thinking about a custom BFR - 02/24/2022 2:57 AM

there is no reason not to. alot of critters have been killed with a 357 mag. there are some who would say it is not enough, i would say be careful of your shot angles, pick a good bullet, practice often and go hunting
Posted By: bearskinner

Re: Thinking about a custom BFR - 02/24/2022 5:21 AM

Just a question about having a 5 shot cylinder made, and converting the revolver from a 6 shot. The strength of a BFR frame, and the thickness of the cylinder is really beefy as it comes with 6 holes. I have many 5 shot guns, but there all over 41 caliber, due to ( like cartridges with a .454 or 475L parent case) the extreme pressure of a wildcat cartridge. Even on my .356GNR revolvers, a 41mag parent case necked down to .357 there built on 6 shot cylinders. I don’t think you could overload a heavy hunting bullet in a 357, that wouldn’t be fine in a 6 shot cylinder.
Posted By: handgunhuntr

Re: Thinking about a custom BFR - 02/24/2022 12:30 PM

The 353 Casull loads I have seen exceed even some 357 Max loads. I guess my thoughts behind the 5 shot was more or less an added safety measure
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Thinking about a custom BFR - 02/24/2022 8:45 PM

Rather than speculate, maybe contact Magnum Research and see what they say. They know their product and can advise whether its capacity would need to be reduced to 5 shots for the cartridge you propose.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums