Handgunhunt

Ankle holster for carry gun

Posted By: popeanyoung

Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/05/2009 10:55 PM

Do any of you know of a good ankle holster for a semi auto carry gun. I just purchased a new Taurus Millennium .40 S&W today and now need a holster for it. I thought an ankle holster would be fun. I doubt if I will carry it much but it will be a cool new toy combination. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/06/2009 2:59 AM

I have never used an ankle holster, I wear boots everywhere, so I'm not much help there. Sorry. But I do recommend that you put several rounds through the Millennium before you start trusting it in carry situations. 3 or 4 of us here locally got them in .45 when they first came out and we all had the same problem. Every 15-20 rounds the pistol would dump the clip out on the ground while shooting. With ammo still in it. The magazine release was placed right where a man with regular-to-large size hands just could not help but hit it during recoil. It wasn't just me. We all ended up selling them because it happened to us all. Repeatedly.
Posted By: Pasco

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/06/2009 3:51 AM

I had a litte Taurus 5 shot .38 that I tried in a ankle rig. I wore it for a day and couldn't stand it and it was just over 16 oz. loaded.
Posted By: cyberhick

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/06/2009 5:18 PM

Ankle holsters aren't such a good idea. Inside-the-waistband in the appendix position (12-2 o'clock for rh, 10-12 o'clock for lh) offers best concealment and accesability. There are a number of very good holster makers, just depends on how much you want to spend. Don Hume, Comp-Tac, FIST-Inc come to mind. Kydex is best in my opinion, but you decide for yourself. Get training, best thing for you to do. Suarez International offers the best, and they offer classes on dvd's, so its easy to afford.

jeremy
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/07/2009 2:26 AM

If you want to carry it for personal protection I would never carry it in an ankle holster. If you need it it's going to have to be very quick and by the time you get to your ankle it will be over. Go for an inside the pants holster. Much better access and faster. I have been a police officer since 1991 and I don't know of anyone serious about personal protection that carries a gun in an ankle holster.
Posted By: rupe

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/07/2009 4:21 PM

I carried a little Charter Arms undercover .38spl in a in the pants holster clipped on the inside of my cowboy boots for years and I liked it. But it has to be a little gun. It takes time to get used to having a little weight on one ankle, but once you get used to it, it never bothered me. But it isn't the fastest place to keep one if you need it. But in Tshirt weather at least you have one on you. I never had it come out. A have also used the ankle holsters that went around your ankle and then had an upper strap that went around just above the calf. It worked but always felt funny having that elastic strap around the upper calf. They all take awhile to get used to. Don't give up after just a week. Try it for a couple of weeks and you'll get used to it and won't even know it's there after awhile. rupe
Posted By: popeanyoung

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/07/2009 8:29 PM

Thanks for the comments. I think I will give the ankle thing a try. I am required to dress business casual everyday so my shirt is always tucked in and I rarely wear a jacket because I am indoors. That's why I would like use the ankle holster.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/07/2009 9:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rupe
I carried...(it)in the pants holster clipped on the inside of my cowboy boots for years and I liked it.

Same here. Or I just dropped in it in my ropers on the outside of the leg and let it be.
Posted By: Montanan

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/08/2009 3:23 AM

Wore this when I worked in law enforcement for a BUG and still wear it today.

http://www.undercovercomfort.com/Holsters.html
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Ankle holster for carry gun - 01/08/2009 3:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TCMan
 Originally Posted By: rupe
I carried...(it)in the pants holster clipped on the inside of my cowboy boots for years and I liked it.

Same here. Or I just dropped in it in my ropers on the outside of the leg and let it be.

never carried a gun in my boot but before they got really funny about bladed weapons I used to carry a boot knife, but my favorite was a derringer in my pants or jacket pocket.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums