Handgunhunt

Chrony Steaks Tonight!

Posted By: pab1

Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/13/2009 11:41 PM

I recently traded for a 10" .44 mag barrel and had to get out today to see how it shoots. After just a few rounds of 270 gr Speer GDSP over W296, I was very impressed with the group I was getting, not to mention the scope I mounted was dead on with no adjustment. I wanted to see what velocity I was getting with this load, but didn't have my tripod along, so I just set my Chrony out on the snow bank. As I was about to shoot, I was thinking I should put my shade rods on it so I'll know how far I'm holding over it. Not to be bothered with such minor things, I went ahead and shot, jerking the trigger in the process. On the plus side, I now know that this round will give complete penetration on a Chrony, not that I ever plan to shoot one again. I fired two more shots across it (a little more carefully this time) and was surprised to find that it was still working.

Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/13/2009 11:46 PM

Well you done two test in one,hahaha,sorry can't help but laugh

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/13/2009 11:49 PM

I was surprised to find myself laughing when I did it too.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/13/2009 11:58 PM

Well done Sir pab1, well done.
Posted By: Jeremy

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 12:41 AM

Uh, ya gonna get that mounted?

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeremy
Uh, ya gonna get that mounted?

I'm getting price quotes now.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 1:58 AM

I can't say I've done that yet, I normally kill the sun shade rods, I keep extras with me. You should send it back and tell them you want it warrantied.
\:\)
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 2:30 AM

My bud Gilbert shot the shade rod on his too.

Still works so ISS NOOO PROOOBLM
Posted By: SCOTTx88

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 4:31 PM

Won't they fix that for like $50??
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 6:21 PM

Did you have a tag for that one? Have you picked a spot on the wall yet?

I am sorry... I am still laughing. Thanks for the story Pab! I will share the next time I fupa.

Duane
Posted By: Tigger

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/14/2009 11:38 PM

LOL<LOL
\:\)

Chronys can be a tough animal to put down. We have shot the sky screen into pieces before. Also a few holes just above the eye in the plastic that protects it. Lots of black tape to cover up the holes but it still works.

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/15/2009 6:32 PM

Originally Posted By: SCOTTx88
Won't they fix that for like $50??

I had assumed that a repair would cost too much to justify sending it in. I e-mailed them and sent a copy of the pic. They estimate $20-$30 for the repair plus $8.95 return shipping. Thanks Scott!
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/15/2009 8:53 PM

I would like to say "thats the first time I seen that" but its not. Fortunately yours still works!!! My friends doesn't. It was funny then and and it still is.

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/16/2009 6:02 AM

I just hope its the last time I see it!
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/16/2009 12:34 PM

Should I ever have the misfortune of putting a bullet through my Oehler 35P, I think I'll be huddled in a corner sulking rather than laughing!!

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/16/2009 5:31 PM

If I shelled out the cash for an Oehler, I don't think I would be laughing either. The biggest reason I had to laugh at myself is that I'm usually extra careful when using my Chrony. I only shoot through them off the bench and put a lot of effort into making sure I'm lined up perfectly. I can't say why I thought shooting off-hand at an awkward angle the other day was a good idea or why I ignored my own cautionary thought of putting the rods up. I think I got caught up in the moment, having the scoped dialed in with no adjustment needed and the new barrel shooting a tight group with the first load I tried. At that point, all I could do was laugh at myself.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/17/2009 1:02 AM

Quote:
I can't say why I thought shooting off-hand at an awkward angle the other day was a good idea or why I ignored my own cautionary thought of putting the rods up. I think I got caught up in the moment, having the scoped dialed in with no adjustment needed and the new barrel shooting a tight group with the first load I tried.

I hear ya. Every time I look at my left hand I see a ring finger that is about 3/8" shorter than it should be. That was a table saw tho, same lesson learned. Don't get ahead of yourself, or out of rhythm.

As far as the chrony goes, if you missed the vitals.......
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Chrony Steaks Tonight! - 01/19/2009 3:18 AM

Now I know what mine will look like if I have a bad day....
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums