Handgunhunt

Harvey K Chuck

Posted By: Tigger

Harvey K Chuck - 01/15/2009 3:35 AM

I'm trying to gather some info on the 22 K-Chuck. Does anybody have one or know much about it. I found a little info in an older cartridges of the world and one web page with 2 loads listed. Also a tid bit about the gunsmith, but nothing really in depth. I have drawings of the cartridge in a conversion book, but no referances.

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Harvey K Chuck - 01/15/2009 6:01 AM

just checked Loaddata.com for you and they aint got nothin on that one. I've never heard of it, what do you know about it?
Posted By: 7STDUBBERU

Re: Harvey K Chuck - 01/15/2009 10:44 AM

got me there Dale.....
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Harvey K Chuck - 01/19/2009 3:15 AM

Tigger, I had a gun smith ream out a .22 K-frame cylinder for the 22KayChuck. This round was originally made by Jim Harvy which is a shortened K-Hornet so the loaded round would fit in the S&W K-frame cylinder. The great Al Georg used this round with great sucess taking game from varmints,seals,crow and even a black bear.There were two versions which were the shortened
K-Hornet and the standard which was simply a shortened 22Hornet
shell.I have a .22 caliber 8 3/8" barrel and the reamed cylinder fitted to a K-38 frame and my goal was to exceed 22mag rim fire
velocities.The following velocities were chronographed on May 1st
of 2004: 35gr V-max 8.0grs 2400 1658fps average for 6 shots.The
ES was 136

35gr V-max 9.0grs 2400 1754fps average for 4 shots.The
ES was only 39.
As you can see I exceeded my goal of topping the 22 rim fire mag by quite a bit.Using CCI 40gr JHP ammo from a 6" S&W I averaged
1402FPS for 6 shots so my top Kay Chuck load beat that by 352FPS.
I have quite a bit of information on this round that was taken from the scores of old gun magazines that I went through.Give me a little time to scan these articles and I will e-mail them to you. PM me your e-mail address. Its a fasinating 22 caliber high speed round that was made to be fired from a revolver and after its introduction there were other gunsmiths who made their own version of the Kay-Chuck. The 22 Snapper comes to mind which is almost the same round ,however, they also made a 22 Snapper Short to fit the cylinders of J-frame S&W`s.Its because of these
wildcats that S&W produced their short lived 22 Jet that was cancelled because of case set-back which,by the way, I never experienced with my 22 KC even with the hottest loads. James
PS when I asked for info on this round on a well known reloading
web site there was only one reply from a mid-western fellow who uses it for coyote hunting....
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums