Handgunhunt

cartridge length

Posted By: mikefrompa

cartridge length - 12/13/2010 1:15 AM

When loading for a straight wall handgun cartridge(454 casull) does adjusting the o.a.l. REALLY effect accuracy?
Posted By: 7STDUBBERU

Re: cartridge length - 12/13/2010 1:23 PM

I think if you are shooting out of a single shot break open you maybe better served by seating the bullet out but do not think it will matter much in a revolver.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: cartridge length - 12/14/2010 2:18 AM

I think that playing with the fraction of an inch(in a revolver) would be meaningless for most handgun hunters as most will probably be shooting at 50 yards or less.In a single shot,putting the bullet closer to the rifling may give it better accuracy,at least thats what I've read and I do that with my 7mm T.C.U. but to be honest I've not really done any testing to determine if it makes any difference.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: cartridge length - 12/14/2010 2:38 AM

Originally Posted By: 7STDUBBERU
I think if you are shooting out of a single shot break open you maybe better served by seating the bullet out but do not think it will matter much in a revolver.

I agree

I have found it does affect the accuracy in revolvers, but not like that of a single shot.
Posted By: RioHondoHank

Re: cartridge length - 12/14/2010 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TCMan

I have found it does affect the accuracy in revolvers, but not like that of a single shot.

I suspect that any change due to cartridge length in a revolver is due to the change in case volume rather than how close the bullet is to the lands. If you move the bullet forward you increase the case volume an should see a decease in pressure.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums