Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Losing my nerve #86717 04/29/2011 2:15 AM
briarhopper Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I leave a week from today to head out of Homer, Ak for my first bear hunt of the year, and my first planned hand gun hunt. It's only black bear, that's not the deal, but I am starting to second-guess my being ready to shoot cleanly and properly enough with a handgun to justify the attempt. I guess I just do not want to be irresponsible, I don't know.

I can get better than 2" groups at 40 yds off of shooting sticks on a good day, so it's not even really a question of accuracy. But as the count down to the day gets closer, I'm lookin at the 45/70 guide gun more and more, simple because I know what I can kill with that and at what distance, I've done it so many times before.

Were these type of second thoughts about the handgun normal for any of you old hands when you first switched over from the rifle? All of my hunting partners shoot rifles, and don't get the hand-gun thing, so I'm swimming upstream there too. Any thoughts or advice from anyone?

BTW - The gun is an original 3-screw SBH .44 mag with 305grn hard cast Buffalo Bore with a Bushnell 2X6 scope on top.

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86720 04/29/2011 3:22 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
before I committed, I was continually second guessing which gun would be the most effective- I have a guide gun and some no 1's in various calibers, but I did lots of IHMSA shooting that made me comfortable with using a handgun at ranges that exceeded what was the norm for my hunting situations, I had second thoughts and all of my partners thought I was nuts for committing to using a handgun, but after the first buck, it's been twelve years of making the decision between a single shot pistol or a wheel gun.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86721 04/29/2011 3:25 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Briar,

I know I went through that same line of thought...can I make the shot under pressure? Do I want to "risk" not shooting the animal, or making a poor shot, due to distance, uncertainty, etc?

So I kept shooting my pistols more...and more...and more. Another thing that helped me was shooting steel targets at the range - 6 or 8 inch plate, varying distances. Boom, clang...dead deer/hog/in-your-case bear. It sounds like you're there as far as proficiency, and the gun and load is more than capable. I say go for it.

I guess I'm still an equal opportunity hunter, as I hunted this year with bow, muzzleloader, rifle, and handgun. But the handguns were carried every time when it was legal, and on 90% of my hunts as the primary weapon. And all 9 of my big game animals were taken with a handgun this year.

Take the plunge.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: HoggHunter] #86723 04/29/2011 3:39 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The first pig I shot when I started Handgun hunting pigs here in LA was a big ole dude I was shooting a 4" 44 mag S&W 29 the pig came to about 18 yds and stoped I was shooting a handloaded 180 XTP (I did not know at the time but this was the wrong bullet and load)--I shot the pig square between the shoulders and the pig shook it off --The pig ran in front of me I thumb cocked and the second shot went behind the shoulder thumb cocked again --pig still running--shot him in the butt-- thumb cocked again and missed-- Pig died about 40 yards away--

Right load for the pig --No Way

Was I ready to shoot him -- you bet and I hit him 2 of 3 time in a dead run.

Shoot your gun as much as you can--

You may be more ready then you know

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=773

If you have been shooting--you are ready

Grip it and let-r-fly

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: H2OBUG] #86724 04/29/2011 4:27 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Besides, practice, just don't take the rifle, then you have no other options.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: edwardkfolmar] #86727 04/29/2011 5:40 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree with Ernie, I've gone through the same thing and have actually fallen back on the rifle I've taken when in after thought I realized I could have taken the animal cleanly with a handgun.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: edwardkfolmar] #86728 04/29/2011 5:41 AM
briarhopper Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm not worried at all about the bears, and I have full confidence in the abilities of the 44 mag. I guess I'm just second guessing my own abilities with the revolver.

I've taken 5 animals over the years with rifles, 1 sitka black-tail on Kodiak Island and 4 caribou on the Alaska Peninsula 100 miles south of Naknek. That's not a lot by any means, but these five animal are also the only five animals I've ever shot at(not counting stray dogs and varmints). I've never wounded, never lost, never had to track an animal. Also, I've never placed more than one bullet hole in any animal I've ever hunted either. They were all 1 shot, 1 kill.

I just don't want to go on a wounding spree 'cause I tackled something I wasn't ready for and had no right take on at that time.

I don't think I'm communicating very clearly my concerns, and I'm sorry about that. I am taking the SBH, and I am going for the shot if it is offered, I guess I'm just taking it too serious.

Sorry, guys.

Dewayne

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86729 04/29/2011 5:45 AM
briarhopper Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
In case anyone is wondering...

1- sitka deer - old 8mm mouser
1- caribou - 30-06 Ruger 77
3- caribou - single-shot Shiloh Sharps Cavalry Carbine in 45/70

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86731 04/29/2011 7:37 AM
handgunnerinpa Offline
stranger
stranger
shot my first deer with a handgun last year.a ruger blackhawk in .41 mag.had questions in my mind about it all season until i made it happen.i believed i could make the shot and i did.thats how i see it,even though there are doubts you gotta believe it.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: handgunnerinpa] #86733 04/29/2011 8:57 AM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
I use the same handgun for big game. 240gr HCSWC for payload cuz nothing in Arkansas that I have found cant be stopped with that. If your at 2" at 40yrds and thats the shot distance you expect to have and you have trained enough then you wont have a problem taking the bear. We all set out for the 1 shot 1 kill. Its the best we as hunters can hope for no matter what weapon we choose. Thats the ethical thing to do and its why we practice. Remember this....your body will do what you trained it to do. It sounds to me like you have done your pre-hunt work so now its time to put yourself to the test. You have enough gun and enough bullet and good groups so go knock your bear out. Above all remember to enjoy the experience and learn all you can from it. GOOD LUCK!!

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: wapitirod] #86736 04/29/2011 10:05 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
I agree with Ernie, I've gone through the same thing and have actually fallen back on the rifle I've taken when in after thought I realized I could have taken the animal cleanly with a handgun.

Same here. I took a rifke as "back up" for years before I went handgun only. Finally just had to leave it at home since I kept reaching for the long gun when game arrived. The ease of using a rifle got boring...that's why I started shooting a handgun in the first place.

Now using a handgun is almost so easy that it's boring. Guess I need to switch to poison darts or something!
;\)

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Dan B.] #86738 04/29/2011 10:51 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good to see you back Dan

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Dan B.] #86739 04/29/2011 10:52 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

I carry a rifle and a handgun foten and if the game is in range and the lighting is adequate (open sights on the revolver) I will use the handgun without reservations. I fthe only shot that I get is several hundred yards away then the rifle gets the nod

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: handgunnerinpa] #86742 04/29/2011 12:32 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"I know what I can kill with that and at what distance, I've done it so many times before"

This is why its time to go for it. You already know your more then capable with the rifle and its time to take that next step. Just do it. Go for it. You won't be regret it!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: cfish2] #86743 04/29/2011 12:40 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I find my single shot pistols to be as accurate if not more then some of the rifles I have used over the years. I haven't used a rifle on a hunt in many years.
When I feel like its not a challenge I pick up my Long Bow and head to the woods.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Ernie] #86744 04/29/2011 2:38 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Ernie

This is good advice. You will then have no other options. It's okay to doubt, but once your touch off that first round, you will get over it in a hurry! Good luck to you!

Oh, and practice, practice, practice!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Whitworth] #86745 04/29/2011 2:48 PM
wizzard Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

This is good advice. You will then have no other options. It's okay to doubt, but once your touch off that first round, you will get over it in a hurry! Good luck to you!

Oh, and practice, practice, practice!

X2, i brought my blackhawk to the camp with me 2 or 3 times before I finally brought it in the woods, w/ no rifle. just do it!

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: wizzard] #86746 04/29/2011 3:08 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
IMHO, many of us have gravitated to hunting with handguns for the additional challenge. Often, for me at least, choosing to use a handgun, especially a wheelgun, places additional limitations on the shots that I will take. Thus, one must consider whether it is more important to "bag an animal" or to "hunt with a handgun." My point is that you may need to pass a shot that would be reasonable with a rifle and come home empty handed.

For me, that is part of the satisfaction of hunting with handguns. I am willing to pass a shot if I am not comfortable with it and I do not mind if I do not "bag an animal." If your attitude is the same, prepare to hunt with your revolver. However, if "filling you tag" is important, think about it.

If I understood correctly, you have killed only five animals. Compared to many of us that is a small number. I likely would not have been ready to become a handgunner at that point in my hunting experience. Only you can answer the question for you.

BTW --- there is no wrong decision here. Make your choice, go have fun, and good luck.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: handgunnerinpa] #86747 04/29/2011 3:59 PM
Infantryhammer Offline
Briar,

After being a bear hunter, Marine Corps and Army primary marksmanship instructor for many years, I can offer you this. I tell many of our bear hunting clients, "Don't focus on the animal, focus on the front sight post or reticle, breath out, gently sqeeze and the rest will take care of its self." I know this sounds overly simplified, and you probably already know this, but reminding yourself of these basic skills helps with the handgun jitters. I have seen very experienced rifle hunters miss their first few handgun shots at bears that were only 25-30 feet up in a tree. It happens to the best of us. Good luck, and post some pics after your hunt.

Adam

Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Infantryhammer] #86749 04/29/2011 4:48 PM
leasongs Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
You will be fine! Keep your shots within your known shooting range and don"t shoot unless the shot feels good. I think we have all gone through what you are going through. I know I have.

Good Luck!

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Infantryhammer] #86750 04/29/2011 4:53 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Dewayne, it seems like you are more than ready as far as gun & ability goes, so now it's a mental game.
Like the guys said, leave the long gun at home. The way you are shooting the handgun the odds are probably no greater that you will blow a shot at reasonable ranges with it than at slightly longer ranges with the long gun (well, kinda long gun). You will do great.
I think you have my cell #. Give me a call when you get back so I can come see your critter & hear your story.
You getting dropped accross K-Bay or doing it vessel based?
Praying for the trip my friend!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Ernie] #86758 04/29/2011 10:00 PM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict

exactly, make that choice at home and then deal with the other things that make our sport a "sure thing"- a good time

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: HoggHunter] #86760 04/29/2011 11:43 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
I too am new to handgun hunting,my abilities seem to be coming along but still need plenty of practice,I got drawn for an elk tag here in North Dakota and thought of using my sons rifle but thru years of trad bowhunting Ive learned if I cant get it done the way I want to it just doesnt mean much,I can live with an unfilled tag if I give it my best effort.

Dave Tarbell
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Dave Tarbell] #86762 04/30/2011 12:29 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Stick with your game plan, as handgun hunters we enjoy the challenge of our quarry and challenging ourselves in this thing that we do. Keep your confidence up good luck and have maximum fun.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: racksmasher] #86777 04/30/2011 2:50 PM
ssphunter Offline
I aggree with Ernie as well, don't bring a rifle and you wont be tempted. None of my friends get the handgun thing either and think I'm nuts when we go on a hunt and I bring only a handgun.I can't legaly hunt with a handgun in Manitoba so I use rifle, bow, muzzleloader here. I try to go to the United States almost every year and because I live close to the border it's easy for me to do. Of all my hunts in the USA I only brought a rifle once and it was on my first hunt. I've also regreted it since I chickened out after missing what should have been an easy shot and used the rifle. ( I think it was buck fever and would have missed with a rifle as well). So think positive and for it and don't forget have fun. (also we'll want pictures.LOL)

Mike

Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: handgunnerinpa] #86822 05/01/2011 3:26 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
its just like bowhunting,you become efficent at shorter distances and when your confidence is there you start to extend your range or just set your limit at the yardage you are totally confident in.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: johnwilliams] #86865 05/02/2011 3:18 AM
briarhopper Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice, guys. I appreciate it, it means a lot. I went back to the range Friday, and will try to get one more trip in before Thursday, just to be ready as possible. I surely am excited.

Vance, we will be taking a skiff over to Tutka bay. Cant afford the fly-in trip at this time. Will surly call you when I get back. And I do appreciate the prayers. Thanks.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86871 05/02/2011 4:05 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'm sure you already know this but be sure to shoot from hunting positions and if you can actually get out in the woods and shoot it will help alot especially with range judgement. I learned real quick when I started bowhunting as a kid that field practice is real important. I was self taught because no one I knew bowhunted and I shot instinctive and they didn't have laser range finders back then so I learned some hard lessons that first year. The more realistic your practice the better off you'll be. You might even get some of the paper archery targets with a bear on it and just use some wooden stakes or whatever is handy to stand then up. Put them half behind bushes, trees, grass or whatever could be a realistic scenario.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86874 05/02/2011 5:23 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: briarhopper
Vance, we will be taking a skiff over to Tutka bay. Cant afford the fly-in trip at this time.

I sure understand the cost of fly outs. Unfortunately not in my bufget either. Heck I have a 24' Bayliner Trophy sitting in my driveway that belongs to a pastor friend from Montana that comes up once a year for 10 days of fishing. He keeps telling me to take it out & use it but at the price of fuel I never have

Maybe later this year for a pleasure cruise with the family. Keep threatening to do the spring bear hunt thing with it.

Have fun!

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Vance in AK.] #86890 05/02/2011 7:35 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I feel your pain hopper and like the rest of the guys you just have to make yourself do it.I am a hound hunter and shots get close.I remember the first bear I went in to with just a handgun.It had run out a few hounds and was refusing to tree.As I crawled through the clothes tearing briars sometimes on my hands and knees and hearing the fight just ahead of me I second guessed myself several times.As I saw tough hounds beaten out I wondered was I prepared.I knew my equipment was up to the task so I took a DEEP breathe and pressed on.I come up on the hounds and eased around and came up behind the bear and blam it was over.I was excited and overwhelmed but I would have been kicking myself had I not followed through.You've praticed and you are ready,you know your personal limitations,take that smoke wagon and let ol blackie have it.....good luck.Once it's done there will be no turning back and the satisfaction can't be beat.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: cottonstalk] #86891 05/02/2011 7:46 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
I feel your pain hopper and like the rest of the guys you just have to make yourself do it.I am a hound hunter and shots get close.I remember the first bear I went in to with just a handgun.It had run out a few hounds and was refusing to tree.As I crawled through the clothes tearing briars sometimes on my hands and knees and hearing the fight just ahead of me I second guessed myself several times.As I saw tough hounds beaten out I wondered was I prepared.I knew my equipment was up to the task so I took a DEEP breathe and pressed on.I come up on the hounds and eased around and came up behind the bear and blam it was over.I was excited and overwhelmed but I would have been kicking myself had I not followed through.You've praticed and you are ready,you know your personal limitations,take that smoke wagon and let ol blackie have it.....good luck.Once it's done there will be no turning back and the satisfaction can't be beat.

Well said, Cottonstalk!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: cottonstalk] #86899 05/02/2011 11:04 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
You've praticed and you are ready,you know your personal limitations,take that smoke wagon and let ol blackie have it.....

Absolutely

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: TCTex.] #86929 05/03/2011 2:28 PM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
Iv got him treed just shot. Is that your stand you where going to hunt out of?

Last edited by bfr4570; 05/03/2011 2:29 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: bfr4570] #86946 05/03/2011 8:29 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
I wore a good bit of the bluing off of my old Super Blackhawk hauling it around in the back of an even older Blazer while "rifle hunting". I was waiting for the opportunity to become a handgun hunter. That opportunity never came until I left the rifle at home. It has been years since I have hunted with a rifle.

Keep a cool head and mentally picture where you want your shot to go. Practice is not just for shooting, but for the entire sequence of locating the target, aiming, and firing from hunting positions. You want everything to be second nature in the hunting situation. One thing I neglected (Forgot) to do was practicing aiming up in a tree!

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86972 05/04/2011 5:15 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's about that time

Have a great trip Dewayne!!!!!
From what I've heard the bears are just atarting to show a bit so you may be hitting it a bit early but I bet you see a few.
Can't wait to see your bear!

Vance in AK.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Vance in AK.] #86980 05/04/2011 9:20 PM
briarhopper Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yep, leaving out straight from work tomorrow evening. Loaded and ready.

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #86992 05/05/2011 1:33 AM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
Good luck!!!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: briarhopper] #87000 05/05/2011 10:55 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: briarhopper
Yep, leaving out straight from work tomorrow evening. Loaded and ready.

Good luck to you! Have a great time!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Losing my nerve [Re: Whitworth] #87057 05/06/2011 2:00 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Take plenty of pictures!!! Good luck!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Losing my nerve [Re: cfish2] #87080 05/06/2011 6:57 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well the weather in the area turned off nice so Briarhopper should have a nice boat ride & sunshine for at least a few days.
Hopefully the sun will get the bears moving!

Vance in AK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod