Next Thread
Print Thread
FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? #86815 05/01/2011 1:17 PM
Matabele Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi all,

Im thinking about having a custom 5 shot 475 Bisley made up for me. Im starting to think about options and was wondering about the recessed chamber mouths, like you see on Freedom Arms guns.

Can anyone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are of this? Is it a good idea?

Thanks!

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Matabele] #86832 05/01/2011 4:52 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Mat,

The recessed chamber heads ( I am assuming you mean towards the back of the cylinder ) were initially cut when brass was made in the "balloon" head configuration ( the brass was folded over to form the case head ). This would protect the shooter in the event of a case head failure, the weak point of the brass ( at least that was the rationale ). Cases have been made with solid heads for many years; hence, the need for case head recesses is not. Some manufacturers have maintained the practice ( Freedom Arms ). Again, "I am assuming this is what you meant. Hope this helps.

Doc

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Matabele] #86834 05/01/2011 5:10 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
This is a bit difficult to explain, but I will try.

If you have non-recessed chambers and load one round and fire it (a heavy recoiling pistol like a .454 or .475) with no other cases in the cylinder to support the loading gate to keep it from flexing as far, you may eventually damage the loading gate. If the cylinder is recessed and you have no other cases in the cylinder than the one you are firing, the loading gate can flex no further than a non-recessed cylinder with a full load of cases. It closes the gap in other words, meaning you can shoot it one round in the cylinder at a time without any negative consequences.

Freedom counter bores their cylinders as does Magnum Research on their BFRs. Some custom smiths do, some don't. You won't get a custom SA revolver from Jack Huntington that isn't counter-bored, nor from Hamilton Bowen if I can recall.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Whitworth] #86836 05/01/2011 5:59 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Whit,

good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Doc

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: doc with a glock] #86839 05/01/2011 7:47 PM
Matabele Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the replies guys, thats just the info I was looking for. Yep Doc we're on the same page, wasnt sure how to describe it but we got there!

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Matabele] #86841 05/01/2011 8:04 PM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
Sorry Whitworth some days i'm a little slow. Do you mean that the loading gate flexs forward toward the cylinder during recoil?

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wheelguns] #86843 05/01/2011 8:27 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wheelguns
Sorry Whitworth some days i'm a little slow. Do you mean that the loading gate flexs forward toward the cylinder during recoil?

That's exactly what I meant.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Whitworth] #86855 05/02/2011 1:44 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Thats an interesting theory I've never heard of before and if it were a real issue I'm sure Bowen, Linebaugh, and Reeder would be doing it or they would be doing warranty work all the time. I'm sure during recoil the gate may try to shift some as it's only held in place by a flat spring but that spring would break before a gate would actually flex. Not to mention I don't know a whole lot of people that only load one round. I suppose if you were on the bench you could but why? I'm sorry but that dosn't hold water. To stiffen it to where it would do anything the cylinder to gate clearance would have to be 0. I've heard about the brass issue mentioned above before but never that. I'm not saying I know everything as I am new to the business end but I own quite a few big bores and have never seen any indication of an issue there. Physics are physics and this dosn't add up, look at a gate spring and a gate and think about which would give first.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wapitirod] #86863 05/02/2011 2:29 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
by the way, Whitworth I'm not trying to hammer on you I just don't see it working that way. If it was Jack that told you that I don't know what his line of thinking is but unless I saw it on slow motion video I wouldn't believe it. If it was Jack I know he's an excellent smith and from what I've heard a really nice guy but like I said I just don't see it.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wapitirod] #86867 05/02/2011 3:26 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
A major consideration here is the distance from the cylinder face to the recoil shield or face (don't know the exact terminology.)

One of the reasons Freedom Arms counter bores the cylinder is to be able to decrease this distance and hence tightens up the cylinder opening, making a tighter and cleaner looking revolver as there is hardly any space showing there.

Try counter boring a standard Ruger cylinder without further mods and you will create a big problem of headspace.

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Gregg Richter] #86868 05/02/2011 3:54 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
it would have to be a special machined part which for me is something I don't do. I don't have the CNC equipment or the time to screw around with making my own cylinders so I've used a couple different types and I'd have to say I like the Bowen design the best but it's not recessed it's just a standard cylinder. I figure if it's good enough for the most elite gun builder in the country it will work for me.

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wapitirod] #86879 05/02/2011 11:16 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
Thats an interesting theory I've never heard of before and if it were a real issue I'm sure Bowen, Linebaugh, and Reeder would be doing it or they would be doing warranty work all the time. I'm sure during recoil the gate may try to shift some as it's only held in place by a flat spring but that spring would break before a gate would actually flex. Not to mention I don't know a whole lot of people that only load one round. I suppose if you were on the bench you could but why? I'm sorry but that dosn't hold water. To stiffen it to where it would do anything the cylinder to gate clearance would have to be 0. I've heard about the brass issue mentioned above before but never that. I'm not saying I know everything as I am new to the business end but I own quite a few big bores and have never seen any indication of an issue there. Physics are physics and this dosn't add up, look at a gate spring and a gate and think about which would give first.

It's not a theory, it can happen. I have actually seen a couple of revolvers with this damage. It's not something that will necessarily happen, but it can and does.

Again, it's not a scenario that often plays out because we all normally load up our revolvers with a full cylinder.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wapitirod] #86880 05/02/2011 11:18 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
it would have to be a special machined part which for me is something I don't do. I don't have the CNC equipment or the time to screw around with making my own cylinders so I've used a couple different types and I'd have to say I like the Bowen design the best but it's not recessed it's just a standard cylinder. I figure if it's good enough for the most elite gun builder in the country it will work for me.

You're not alone in that you don't make your own cylinders. Even John Linebaugh in the past has commisioned that part out -- don't know what he is doing nowadays, but many gun builders don't make their own cylinders. For a very long time, only a couple have made their own and they have made them for other gun builders.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Whitworth] #86883 05/02/2011 12:34 PM
Matabele Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I got the following from Bowens website:

"The receivers are modified to accept oversize cylinders. The bolt notches of the 5-shot, unfluted cylinders fall between the chambers rather than over them where the chamber walls are thinnest. The longer cylinders accept cartridges loaded with longer, heavier bullets for superior hunting performance. Further, the cylinders feature free-wheeling ratchet and, where possible, recessed case heads to improve loading gate support."

So I guess its advisable on the heavy kickers where its possible. Rod if you are getting your cylinders from Bowen anyway, maybe mention the recessed case thing and he might be able to supply you, cant hurt to ask.

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wapitirod] #86884 05/02/2011 12:45 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
by the way, Whitworth I'm not trying to hammer on you I just don't see it working that way. If it was Jack that told you that I don't know what his line of thinking is but unless I saw it on slow motion video I wouldn't believe it. If it was Jack I know he's an excellent smith and from what I've heard a really nice guy but like I said I just don't see it.

I recieved the frist 475L that Hamilton Bowen built> I had the revolver in time for the 1988 hunting season. Hamilton advised me to never shoot the revolver without cases in front of the loading gate. Hamilton stated that to do so in a non-counter sunk cylinder, combined with the heavy recoil of the 475 that damage to the load gate would and would occur. Hamilton told me that he had repaired some that this happened to

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Gregg Richter] #86885 05/02/2011 12:46 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
A major consideration here is the distance from the cylinder face to the recoil shield or face (don't know the exact terminology.)

One of the reasons Freedom Arms counter bores the cylinder is to be able to decrease this distance and hence tightens up the cylinder opening, making a tighter and cleaner looking revolver as there is hardly any space showing there.

Try counter boring a standard Ruger cylinder without further mods and you will create a big problem of headspace.

Your sir are correct

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: jwp475] #86902 05/03/2011 1:33 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yeah I have heard of that happening with the loading gate also. not witnessed it myself but after reading about it i at least gave it a little thought where applicable.

coulda been the Bowen website for all I remember.

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: BBwheelgunner] #86903 05/03/2011 1:57 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
About 1/2 of my S&W pistols have recessed cylinders.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: H2OBUG] #86905 05/03/2011 3:22 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I guess if you load 'em up when you load 'em up, you don't have to worry. Right? I do like to be able to glance at the side of a revolver and quickly see if there's any in there. It does make for a pretty gun tho.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: Matabele] #86907 05/03/2011 5:26 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Matabele

"The receivers are modified to accept oversize cylinders. The bolt notches of the 5-shot, unfluted cylinders fall between the chambers rather than over them where the chamber walls are thinnest. The longer cylinders accept cartridges loaded with longer, heavier bullets for superior hunting performance. Further, the cylinders feature free-wheeling ratchet and, where possible, recessed case heads to improve loading gate support."

So I guess its advisable on the heavy kickers where its possible. Rod if you are getting your cylinders from Bowen anyway, maybe mention the recessed case thing and he might be able to supply you, cant hurt to ask.

Yep I'll ask him about them but when I talked to him before about the different cylinders the recessed design didn't come up. I'll also get the story on this gate issue because it still seems strange that the spring wouldn't give before the gate but like has been said if you load them all there isn't a problem and even if you break a gate it's a very cheap 15min fix.

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: wapitirod] #86910 05/03/2011 11:24 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Yep I'll ask him about them but when I talked to him before about the different cylinders the recessed design didn't come up. I'll also get the story on this gate issue because it still seems strange that the spring wouldn't give before the gate but like has been said if you load them all there isn't a problem and even if you break a gate it's a very cheap 15min fix.

WHat if one is on a remote fly in hunt n Alaska, not good to have a loading gate that you can't open

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: jwp475] #86914 05/03/2011 12:32 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Does anybody actually load one cylinder only, unless you are playing roulette!?!

I had heard that empty holes can compromise the cylinder's strength. Is there any truth to this?

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: s4s4u] #86934 05/03/2011 3:34 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
"I do like to be able to glance at the side of a revolver and quickly see if there's any in there."

I was thinking the same thing. I do it all the time before dry-fire practice.

I have loaded only 1 or 2 or 3 shots when I'm coming to the end of my ammo at the range if it's all I have left.

This is a very useful thread, as I will always remember to keep the other chambers full of empties from now on.

For some reason I can't seem to go home without shooting all the ammo I have for the day!!

MN

Re: FA style recessed chambers for custom Bisley? [Re: jwp475] #86940 05/03/2011 8:02 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jwp475

WHat if one is on a remote fly in hunt n Alaska, not good to have a loading gate that you can't open

If your on a fly in hunt and load one round without it being your last round to keep your ass from becoming a rump roast for a grizz then you deserve whatever happens to you.
From what I've heard so far about how many times this has happened I've heard of just as many frame failures so I don't know that it's a real serious issue. Like s4s4u said load them all up and avoid the problem all together and it is no longer an issue. My guess is that the gates that failed are just like the frames that failed, the both failed under the stress of big bore loads but the problem started back at the ruger factory in the casting and machining process.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod