Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
44 mag advice #87377 05/16/2011 10:08 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hello to all, I've been reading here for a while but this is my first post. I have been shooting handguns for a long while, but this year I've decided to deer hunt with my pistol. I've always liked, and had good service with Ruger revolvers, so the Super Blackhawk Hunter was my choice in handgun. After ALOT of reading and researching, I chose factory loaded Hornady 300 gr XTP for my ammo. The SBHH is topped with a Burris 2x scope (my eyes aren't what they were 20 yrs ago when i was 20). My question, or questions, are;
1- what range is this combo (read EQUIPMENT) effective at for deer or black bear? I do know that the range is limited by my shooting ability much more than the gun, and I wont shoot past 75 yards probably, but I am just curious as to where the 300gr XTP runs out of "oomph" for a clean kill.
2- What kind of trajectory should I expect from this round? I originally sighted the pistol/scope in with cheap 240 gr win white box ammo, and was kind of unhappy with the groups, and how nasty the gun is after only a few shots, hence the change to "premium" ammo. With the 240's, 2" high at 35yds was about dead on at 75yds. Is this close to what I can expect for the 300gr XTP?

I am sorry to sound like such a newbie, but this forum seems to have quite a few folks who have been handgun hunting for a while, and I'd hoped to learn from others experience. I'm limited to weekends to practice, so haven't had a chance to shoot the 300's yet. And yes, I know there are bigger, "badder" hunting rounds than the 44, but on a budget, I got the best I could afford to practice with and be proficient with come October. Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or tips.

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Boot] #87385 05/16/2011 11:34 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome Boot! First, you have a nice set up and 150 yrd shots are well with in the limits of 300gr XTP's. Like you said its up to you to do your part at that distance. Are you using the factory ruger mounts? If so make sure to check them to see if they remain tight with those heavier loads. The 300xtp is an excellent bullet for whitetail and black bear. I don't remember what the factory 300 does in the ruger, I use to use that round years ago before I got into hand loading. I took several deer at 150 yards with it. I wouldn't go after bear at that range though. If your shots are mainly within 75 yards, the XTP will handle just about anything out their. I also shot a few hogs with that load and had excellent performance with it.
Keep checking those mounts and no question is a dumb question, excelt the ones you don't ask!!!!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: cfish2] #87388 05/17/2011 12:08 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome, Boot...you have a prime handgun for hunting! The SBHH is a very accurate revolver; at least mine is. If you're zeroed with 240gr stuff, the 300gr should strike a bit higher; probably 2"-4" higher. It will be close enough to get you on paper for your fine tuning. As cfish said, your choice of weapon and ammo should take about any thing in the lower 48, if you place the bullet where it counts.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: KRal] #87404 05/17/2011 7:08 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome, I agree the 44 has taken everything up to and including elephants but I'd say up to elk size game your combo of gun and ammo will work great. I differ a little on the range issue though as after 100yds bullet drop is severe and the sight pic on a 2x scope isn't too hot past a 100 yds although I use the Leupold 2X on one of my 475 and 500 Linebaughs so for practical purposes I'd say your self imposed 75 yard limit is perfect. IMHO

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: wapitirod] #87405 05/17/2011 10:30 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Boot,

Welcome to Handgun Hunt! The 44 SBHH will serve you well, and the gun/scope/load that you've selected will be perfect for the whitetails and black bear...Like Rod said, the 2X scope will leave you wanting more X's after 100 yards or so in hunting situations (I have one on my 44 too), so it should compliment your yardage restrictions.

Happy Hunting!

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: SChunter] #87414 05/17/2011 2:16 PM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
I havent shot any 300s thru my SBH in about a year but im sighted in with a 240 handload thats pretty close to most common factory stuff. If I remember right KRal is right and I was something like 2-3 inches high at 75 yards. I also have a low power scope on my SBH and for 100 yards and under it has served me well.(and it was within my price range) In practice I have tried to take longer shots but I also have a hard time beyond 100. Your set up will serve you fine at your imposed range limit.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: tracker77] #87421 05/17/2011 4:15 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for the kind words. Like I said before, this will be my first year seriously hunting with a handgun. Where I will be deer hunting this fall, ny food plot is only 50yds wide, and about 100yds long, so with my stand around middle ways, I should be able to keep all my shots within a reasonable distance. I am really looking fwd to handgun hunting this fall. After a season or 2 getting the basics, and the feel of handgun hunting, I may bump up to a 4x Leupold, and try may hand at hunting some bigger areas, with a little longer shots, but for now, I will stick to my small food plot, and shorter shots. If anyone else has a SBHH, let me know what holsters have worked well for hunting in the field, and how do most of you guys carry a few extra rounds of ammo. Thanks again for the replies, and the kind words. God bless.

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Boot] #87425 05/17/2011 5:38 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Check out ringler leather and bandito holsters. They are two good sources for carrying afield. Ringler is a custom shop.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: cfish2] #87435 05/17/2011 10:07 PM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
I always carry a backpack. In it I have room for an extra set of clothes in a dry bag, my hande made skinning knife that was a gift from one of my best friends, some emergency equipment, a copy of the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds (I know what some of you will think of that but I have learned alot about nature from that book series), binoculars and 20 rnds of ammo. Its pretty light weight and it covers all the bases for me.

If ammo is all you want to carry then Uncle Mikes makes some options you might want to take a look at. There are also several factory leather cartridge loop belts out there. Hunters makes a reasonably priced one. You might want to check out http://www.Midwayusa.com and see what they have. If nothing else it will give you some ideas about what is available.

I dont go with custom rigs. Im not putting them down at all. I have seen some beautiful stuff its just not in my price range.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: tracker77] #87437 05/18/2011 1:19 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
For a little over a long wheeled base ten ($100), you can get "pistol packaging" to build a custom bandito holster and ammo carrier that mounts right on the bandolier. Very nice rig for a custom package.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: tracker77] #87438 05/18/2011 1:25 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Boot welcome to the addiction, there is no known cure,only more habits. You don't say how long a barrel you have so.For my under 7 1/2 inch I use crossdraw holsters of my own makeing.For barrels over that a chest rig of some kind would be better.My contender 14 inch are on slings with a barrel band under the front sight. I carry extra ammo in my backpack for the revolver and on an arm band for my single shots. I like a low end of 4 power on my guns,two just isn't enough anymore. Like cfish2 said there are no dumb questions ,and we were all newbies once. good luck!!!

junebug
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Boot] #87466 05/18/2011 6:46 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
For a SBHH with a scope I would have to say that the Ringler Wyoming Combo holster is one of the most comfortable and stable rigs I have tried.

I carry by Ultradot topped SBHH in it and it is generally unobtrusive to wear, quiet, comfortable and a real quality piece.
I also added one of their "Ammo Dump" pouches. that gives me an extra cylinder worth of reloads.

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: KRal] #87558 05/20/2011 5:33 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I decided to go with the Uncle Mikes Bandolier holster for carry to and from my stand. I got an MTM ammo wallet to carry a few extra rounds. Cfish2 mentioned to keep checking my scope rings? I installed them, good and tight with a drop of loc-tite. Should I be concerned? After a little reading on scope mounts and rings, I've seen several with 3,4, and even 5 scope rings being used at the same time. Is this something I need to consider, with a 44 mag? If so, does anyone make a quality 1 piece base that will attach to the ruger dovetails in my gun, and what rings are being used by most folks on handguns that have a little recoil?

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Boot] #87561 05/20/2011 6:20 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you have room on your base and scope tube for more rings it doesn't hurt. The more support you give the tube, the less chance of failure.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: s4s4u] #87569 05/20/2011 9:42 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Weigand makes a one piece base for the Ruger dovetails.

Dave Tarbell
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Dave Tarbell] #87577 05/21/2011 12:05 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You might also consider a Variable scope, my absolute favorite is the 2.5-8 Leupold but they are costly but I also use the Bushnell elite 3200 and have had excellent luck with them and they are half the price of the Leupold. That way if you need a little extra magnification for one on outermost part of your food plot you got it. Just keep it set at 2 or 4x and hunt.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: wapitirod] #87583 05/21/2011 12:43 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Also with the variables your objective lense is larger then that straight 2 power and will let in more light on low power. My biggest problem with handgun hunting scopes here in the eastern NC woods is losing shooting light with a handgun much earlier then with a rifle scope.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: cfish2] #87584 05/21/2011 1:04 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: cfish2
My biggest problem with handgun hunting scopes here in the eastern NC woods is losing shooting light with a handgun much earlier then with a rifle scope.

That is the time when the red, or green, dot sight shines. Magnification and long eye relief make for massive loss of light.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: s4s4u] #87589 05/21/2011 2:27 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Boot,

Regarding the rings, your 2 Ruger standard rings should suffice with your .44 - i've used mine on my Redhawk for thousands of rounds, from mild to wild. If you opt to go with a weaver-style Weigand or similar, you'll be able to mount the scope more over the cylinder than the barrel. Just depends on how you want to mount it - either way, enjoy your SBH Hunter!

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: SChunter] #87611 05/21/2011 2:33 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for the replies fella's. Due primarily to budget constraints, I don't see having a leupold variable anytime soon. I like the look, and more importantly, the feel of my SBHH, with the scope mounted over the barrel, in the factory Ruger rings. Its a clean, trim, and unobtrusive mount, and if it will hold zero, I'd very much prefer to keep it. I find that it balances better for me than my hunting buddy's Ruger that is frame mounted over the cyl on the top strap. Does anybody have first hand experience with the 2x burris? Originally, when I bought the pistol back in Feb, I ordered a bushnell variable, 2-6x32 I think. It arrived, and had an o-ring hanging out from under the power adj ring. That, in addition to the Elite 4200 I had a lot of disappointment with on my rifle last year just burnt the bridge for me and bushnell. After talking to another man that hangun hunts, I went with the fixed 2x burris due to trim size, light weight, and ease of operation (no worry about adjustments). I read that most variable handgun scopes also vary the eye relief from low to high power. I feared this would affect my hold/grip/form too much, and I very much like to keep things simple and repeatable when it comes to shooting. If I could see as well as I used to, I'd have tried to iron sights to hunt with out to 75yds or so, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. The crosshairs, provide a little less blurry sight picture, and the 2x provides me with a decent field of view and a little magnification. If you all can't tell, I'm a little nervous about handgun hunting this fall. I practice every chance I get, and tried not to skimp on gear , but I'm still wondering how it will all turn out if the trophy buck of my lifetime walks out at 75yds or 100yds away. Thanks again for all the replies, and the kind words.

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Boot] #87616 05/21/2011 5:07 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Boot If you have put in your time and effort and know your gun and effective range and stick to it the nerves will go away. The adrenaline rush when he walks out is another thing altogether.
If that trophy buck of a lifetime walks out ,at a range you are not comfortable with, or just doesn't give you a good shot,enjoy the rush. TIP YOUR HAT TO HIM because, HE WON THIS ROUND! It's not the end of the world. When we pick up the short guns we accept certain limitations in range,but it teaches us discipline and makes us better hunters. Good luck, good hunting,and have fun.

junebug
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: junebug] #87686 05/24/2011 12:45 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
simple enough, if that trophy buck walks out, wait till he's in range and then drop him.............at least that's the plan.... I have shot them, and more times than not, not shot and watched them walk.... when they walk, - you don't get messy and all sweated up draggin'them out and you can try again tomorrow.

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: HoggHunter] #87713 05/24/2011 2:19 PM
Infantryhammer Offline
Welcome Boot,

The 300 gr XTP is my favorite bullet for 44 and 45. I have a post entitled "Last years buck" you can see the effects of the 300 gr XTP at 90 yards in the picture. I prefer open sights when hunting wioth a handgun, but, to each his own. Whatever you decide on have fun and be safe.

Oh, one more thing, if you are worried about being out of range with a handgun, take the shot anyway! We miss 100% of the shots we don't take. I have suprised myself on many occasions with hits I thought I had no chance of making.

Good Luck,
Adam

Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Infantryhammer] #87727 05/24/2011 8:52 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
“Forget-a-bout-it...” LOL

Just know your limitations! Do your homework, practice at the range at various distances & multiple shooting positions, and wear out a set of snap-caps. Just think about how many game animals an archer has to let walk. I remember watching 3 beautiful bucks at 300 yards in bow season...

Food for thought. There is an old sniper philosophy that goes something like this: If you don’t have time to judge your target, (using the mil-dot,) or can’t get steady enough with your current rest, you don’t have any business taking the shot anyway.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: Infantryhammer] #87729 05/24/2011 9:01 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Infantryhammer

Oh, one more thing, if you are worried about being out of range with a handgun, take the shot anyway! We miss 100% of the shots we don't take. I have suprised myself on many occasions with hits I thought I had no chance of making.

I am sorry but I can't get behind this philosophy. If you have put your time behind the trigger you should know what your effective range is. If the animal is beyond that range, either get closer or let it walk.

I have also surprised myself with my ability to hit targets at ranges well beyond my comfort zone, but I reserve these "Hail Mary" shots for the range. If I just clip the edge of the target frame, no big deal. It is much different than hitting a deer in the leg and watching it run off on 3.

I certainly am not going to tell you how to hunt, however I wouldn't take the shot.

Re: 44 mag advice [Re: 98Redline] #87751 05/26/2011 2:17 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
What 98Redline said x2. The only time I want to suprise myself is on something that dosen't bleed,steel ,rocks bowling pins. I don't ever want it to be a suprise that the bullet hit where I aimed on an animal,or that I just hit the animal.When the hammer falls I want the hunting to be over ,and the field dressing to start.

junebug
Re: 44 mag advice [Re: junebug] #87990 06/05/2011 6:33 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
X3 98Redline. dont mind surprising myself on steel pigs chickens on rams, ( damn turkeys ), not on bone and blood. having said that my limits which are vary short and yours could very well be vastly differant.

Everything before "but" is B.S.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod