Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Toy/Got Pics Now #88035 06/07/2011 7:01 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
New toy coming, I just picked up a 38 spcl Rohm Derringer on gunbroker as a pocket gun for times my 1911 or 44spcl are too bulky. I did some research and found the guns hold only shootability value as this company also did alot of contract and knock off work but they are a German company and from what I've found their work is supposed to be top notch. I could only find a 22 derringer in my blue book and for that in blue in the condition mine is supposed to be in is 125.00 and mine is ss and 38 and I picked it up for 90.00. I was curious if anyone had any experience with this gun or manufacturer.

I could have used it saturday when I was jumped by a meth head, instead I had to resort to shoving my thumb in his eye socket and just about had his eyeball out when his family pulled him off. the sob is a grandson of friends of mine and knew about my recent surgery and the previous ones and he intentionally grabbed me around the neck so I took him down but ended up on the bottom so my thumb went in his left eye and my other thumb I couldn't quite reach with so I used my index finger and gouged the other eye. My wife was there and said he was bleeding pretty good. Law einforcement agrees my threshold for using deadly force is lower because of my injuries so this derringer will be in pocket in case he gets out while waiting for trial or one of his drug buddies tries something. The fact that I have more firepower than the local police dept would make him an idiot to try again though.

Anyways if you have any info on my new gun I'd appreciate it, I'm hoping to have it by the end of the week.

Last edited by wapitirod; 06/12/2011 10:06 AM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New Toy [Re: wapitirod] #88036 06/07/2011 11:06 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
no exp with the rohm, but have a fie in 38. it barks and bites on my end and suspect that it will bit on the other. just went out and shot mine yesterday and not sure that i wouldn't rather have a pocket 22 or 25. on the other hand it is a hoot to shoot.

you take care of yourself wapitirod. child of family friends or no they get around their punk friends and they got to show that they are "gangsta". then maybe i just see it more at the prison where i work.

good luck brother

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: New Toy [Re: bluecow] #88037 06/07/2011 4:02 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Congrats on your new toy, but sorry to hear about the incident.
E

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: New Toy [Re: Ernie] #88038 06/07/2011 8:48 PM
asquires2 Offline
addict
addict
They need to throw the book at him! Lets see some pics of your new toy when she comes in.

Re: New Toy [Re: asquires2] #88041 06/07/2011 10:41 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Rod, I think he got off lucky IMHO...

Take care of YOU and YOUR family my friend.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: New Toy [Re: wapitirod] #88042 06/07/2011 11:14 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I wish you would have had you new toy then, that SOB should be shot. Glad you are okay. Have fun with your stubby ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: New Toy [Re: s4s4u] #88045 06/07/2011 11:50 PM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Somebody's takin care of bidness in more way's than one, good luck with the new gun.

Re: New Toy [Re: racksmasher] #88048 06/08/2011 12:26 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
well the DA is still wading through things because as you can imagine his family is trying to protect him but he may have just ran out of luck. He had another assault dismissed about a month ago because it was his word against the other guys and not enough evidence to prosecute. About two weeks ago department of human services put a restraining order against him after he bruised up his estranged wife. Now with my deal I'm having to go in for another mri to make sure my fusion is still in tact, if not here in OR it's what's known as a measure 11 offenser and mandatory minimum sentence for him will be 5yrs 10mos with no parole or time off for good behaviour and the judge can come down on him harder if he wants. According to the da they havn't been able to nail him yet because his friends and family lie for him and he is known to intimidate witness's but no one will stand up against him. I'm just hoping that despite his family trying to cover for him we can get max prosecution otherwise if he puts me in a self defense situation again it may not work out real well for him.

Anyway's back to the gun I'll definitely post pics it's a cool looking little gun and it's coming with a tooled leather holster. I'm still interested if anyone has handled the Rohm stuff before. I believe they were only exporting from the late 60's to early 70's.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New Toy [Re: wapitirod] #88067 06/09/2011 12:57 AM
Tobias_Dunlap Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I have 2 rohm revolvers. They are both Colt SAA clones, one is a double action with a four inch barrel and the other is a single with an eight inch barrel. Parts are nearly impossible to find, and ive had to make all of them myself. You being a gunsmith and all that won't be a problem. So far the only part that has failed was the cylinder rod retainer on the single action. I've had them both for about ten years and literally put thousands of rounds through both of them with that being the only problem. The double action is about as accurate as a handful of thrown rocks, but the single action is well enough that I managed to shoot a score of 13 standing at an IHMSA match.( chickens and pigs only
\:\)

They aren't much to look at, but for plinkers and pest control, they can't be beat.

I'm in the process of moving, so I'll post some pictures if you want as soon as I get back to Texas and get a chance.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The handgun is the badge of the free, self reliant, undaunted individualist who epitomizes the spirit of the United States of America.
Re: New Toy [Re: Tobias_Dunlap] #88071 06/09/2011 1:48 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
sounds good, I'd like to see them. The small write up in the Blue Book said workmanship was good on their guns which is what you'd expect from a German company. They are still in business but they aren't making firearms anymore.

Re: New Toy [Re: wapitirod] #88082 06/09/2011 6:26 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rod, hope the tests come back good for you. Praying my friend.
Used to have a Rohm .22 sa revolver in the early/mid seventies. Was a good littgle squirel killer & though it never had a lot of rds through it quality seemed fine.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: New Toy [Re: Vance in AK.] #88111 06/11/2011 12:16 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Still waiting on the new toy, hopefully tomorrow it will show up but I had my x rays today. It looks like if they go forward with prosecution I won't have to worry about using it on this guy for quite a while. I have a screw in the plate they just put in my neck that has back out about a quarter of an inch. I still have to wait for the official Dr. report but it's pretty obvious. That kicks it up to Assault II which as I said before means a minimum of 5yrs 10mos in the pen.

I'll post pics of the new toy once it's here and I check how it shoots.

Re: New Toy/ Got Pics [Re: wapitirod] #88144 06/12/2011 10:05 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Here are the pics of my new toy, I still need to take it out and check to see how well the barrels are regulated. I almost thought the gun was plated but it's a high polish stainless and workmanship seems to be very good although I may have to play with the action. I know these things have a heavy trigger for a reason but this one has got to be pushing 8 or 9 pounds. The gun shows no wear and none of the screw heads are damaged which I'd say is pretty good considering this gun is between 35 and 45yrs old. As a reminder I only paid 90.00 for this gun which is what the Davis Derringers go for and this gun in workmanship is the difference between a heritage rough rider and a single six.

These are some cheapo 130gr fmj rounds I bought. I realized it's been so long since I shot any 38 ammo I gave my brother in law the 400 or so rounds I had loaded up a year or so ago. I have some Federal reduced recoil 115gr Hydro Shocks on the way just in case my buddy or his druggy buddies want to play when I don't have my 1911 handy. I also just ordered a pocket holster and a clip on holster for it so no matter what I'm wearing it will be handy.

For comparison this is a 6.5" 357 Blackhawk I bought for a donor gun. It will be converted into 5 shot 480 Ruger.

Last edited by wapitirod; 06/13/2011 1:04 AM.

Re: New Toy/ Got Pics [Re: wapitirod] #88146 06/12/2011 12:34 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Rod, So sorry to hear about your misadventure. Thought that [censored] only happens on this side of the country. I hope you don`t run into this guy again because you don`t need the hassle of defending yourself in court for taking this shithead out. Good luck and take care of yourself, James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod