Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contender Barrel Dilemma #89099 07/10/2011 12:38 PM
Swede427 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I recently purchased a used 14" Bullberry barrel for my G1 Contender. My inspection of the Custom Bullberry barrel was rated very fine. I loaded up a few rounds for test firing. I could not get the rounds to fire. It seems that the hammer is not striking the firing pin. I loaded a casing with just a primer installed. Still would not fire.

I installed a different barrel and fired a few rounds. No problem.
I removed this barrel and compared it to the Bullberry. No obvious barrel differnces.

Any ideas on what the problem might be, before I take the contender to a licensed gumsmith? I completed a gunsmithing course a number of years ago, so I am somewhat knowledgeable, but this one has me baffled.

Last edited by Swede427; 07/10/2011 2:17 PM.
Re: Contender Barrel Delimea [Re: Swede427] #89100 07/10/2011 12:58 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
could be a size die adjustment issue. die screwed in too far that lets the case go below flush with the chamber end.....OR size die backed off too far, and not letting the case fully enter the chamber.....OR bullet seated too long, engaging the lands, and not fully entering the chamber.

these issues can cause misfires. the gun has to fully lock up to allow it to go off, but do not over size the case either for best case life. break actions need more attention to case sizing as compared to bolts etc.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Contender Barrel Delimea [Re: KYODE] #89101 07/10/2011 1:23 PM
Bearcove Offline
stranger
stranger
Sounds like a headspace issue.

Re: Contender Barrel Delimea [Re: Bearcove] #89103 07/10/2011 2:08 PM
Swede427 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the quick replies.

The bottom of the case is a few thousandths above This is a rimmed case. A 35 Rem Rimmed which I formed from 303 British. I checked the head spacing and it was a GO. It seems to be the barrel catch is not engaging the hammer block to let the hammer strike the firing pin.

the more I discuss this issue the more I think I need to contact a competent gunsmith.

I would like to say that I am glad that I have found this great site. I have been handgun hunting for more years than I would like to mention. Like most I needed the challenge of handgun hunting to keep hunting interesting.

Again thanks for the great site.

Re: Contender Barrel Delimea [Re: Swede427] #89106 07/10/2011 2:38 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
The bottom of the case is a few thousandths above

thats what you need....AS LONG as it is not TOO many thousandths. ideally you want it to stick above the chamber end the amount of the barrel to frame gap(measure how much gap between barrel and frame when closed), minus a couple thousandths.
snap it closed pretty good, n not gently close the action as well.

also check the trigger adjustment screws if it is an old model frame. the top one can cause issue if too much creep is taken out.

i hunt deer with the 35 rem rimmed. love it.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Contender Barrel Delimea [Re: KYODE] #89111 07/10/2011 5:48 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Swede, Welcome to the forum!!

These gents know what they are talking about!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Contender Barrel Delimea [Re: TCTex.] #89136 07/11/2011 3:24 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
I think that my 35 Rem Rimmed brass was formed from 30-40 Krag. It most likely is not the brass causing your issues...but just in case I'd be happy to send you a few formed 30-40 cases so that you can try them. Some rims are thicker then others (Mil v/s Commercial) and a full length sizing can cause the round to slip a little too far into the chamber if the rim is thin and misfires result. With heavy (thick) brass like 303 Brit. You'll most likely only have to neck size for quite a few rounds after your fire forming. I did not need to inside neck ream with the 30-40 brass but others using the 303 Brit brass did.

I sold that barrel to someone here on the forum, maybe they will chime in with their observations.

Bill

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod