Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Possibly the dumbest Ruger sight question yet #89387 07/19/2011 4:44 PM
Boot Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I have a Ruger single-six, 5 1/2" w/ fixed sights that is a "hand me down". It shoots consistently left of point of aim, with any ammo I put in it. Is there any aftermarket adjustable sight that a gun smith can install? Can the fixed sight be adjusted somehow? This pistol has become my favorite to carry in the woods lately. I keep a few rounds of snake shot, and the rest in regular 22mag loaded, doing food plots, and summer scouting in S Ga, it never hurts to be prepared. Or, should I just go get the stainless single six w/ adj sights I've been eyeing at the gun shop. Any ideas on correcting my fixed sight dilemma would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Possibly the dumbest Ruger sight question yet [Re: Boot] #89392 07/19/2011 8:20 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If your gun is the "Vaquero" style with the groove in the top strap and the rounded blade front you can just carefully bend the front blade to the left a little at a time until you get it to shoot where you want it to. There are smiths who can mill the receiver for a rear sight, but that can get pricey and you might as well get a new gun with sights then.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Possibly the dumbest Ruger sight question yet [Re: s4s4u] #89396 07/19/2011 9:32 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
I believe a smith could turn the barrel just a tad,a fix Ive heard of.

Dave Tarbell
Re: Possibly the dumbest Ruger sight question yet [Re: Dave Tarbell] #89399 07/20/2011 1:54 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Wapitirod may come in here and give his advice...

I have had him work on three Rugers for me and he does top notch work at very fair prices.

Gregg

Re: Possibly the dumbest Ruger sight question yet [Re: Gregg Richter] #89408 07/20/2011 7:34 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
the two easiest fixes are to either tweak the sight a little with a pair of vise grips, just use leather, cardboard or a soft metal as padding and tweak it over to the left a little . If it's not off alot you can do this and it wont be noticeable, just don't get carried away and try to bend it way over or besides looking funny you can crack the blade or the solder holding it in. The other as stated above is a smith can rotate the barrel a tad, it only takes a couple thousandths to make a major difference. you can't go to far without having issues with the ejector housing screw hole. Don't try the latter yourself unless you have a barrel vise and action wrench you can screw things up in a hurry including bending the frame. If you can't get it figured out and you don't have a gunsmith you trust I'd be happy to get it shooting straight for you. Yes I can put a windage adjustable rear sight but it is much more expensive and I personally don't like them on the vaquero style guns.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod