Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ruger super blackhawk #89587 07/26/2011 2:17 AM
GG Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have posted before about my issues with my RSBH44 and I am still having issues with it.
I have mounted a weaver 2 by 8 and the elevation is maxed out. Is it normal to max a scope out when trying to sight a handgun in. It seems it is shooting ok at 75 yards, maybe an inch or more high but not grouping to well.

My second questions is; for those of you who own a RSBH what kind of performance do you get out of it as far as groups out about 75 and 100yds.

I purchased this gun hoping it would be a good deer gun for 100 yards but so far have been disappointed. I need some guidance and advice.

Re: ruger super blackhawk [Re: GG] #89592 07/26/2011 4:52 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I am going to assume it is the Hunter model and that you are using the factory Ruger rings which mount directly to the crescent cutouts in barrel rib. The first thing I would try is to swap the rings and see if the same thing happens. If it does, you may have a shallow crescent cut in the rib or a bad scope. Some folks have a hard time at first lining up the Ruger rings in the barrel crescents so take your time and make sure they are nestled in before tightening them down.

With handguns, grip tension and consistancy have everything to do with grouping, and that should improve with practice.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: ruger super blackhawk [Re: s4s4u] #89601 07/26/2011 3:13 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
although more commonly seen on the 45's I've seen several 44's including one hunter that was mine with tight throats which will cause problmes with accuracy. There alot of variables though from ammo to your own shooting or mechanical issues with the gun. The triggers on the Rugers normally leave alot to be desired, the way your resting your gun could also play a part.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: ruger super blackhawk [Re: wapitirod] #89702 07/30/2011 6:30 AM
dan480man Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I'll chime in that I have never had to max out a scopes adjustment, one way or another.
Agree, check those rings. Are they correct rings for gun?
The scope worrys me.

As far as accuracy, too many things to list.
Factory loads?, handloads?, lead?, you?, etc.
Are you in a vise, or off hand?

Hunting accuracy is not target accuracy, although we all want target guns. Paper plate accuracy will get you lungs at 100yds, but make you feel like your gun is broken.

Still, you should be able to squeeze out 2-3" groups if you work at it, over a rest, tweaking loads, etc.

Sometimes it takes lots of time to tweak in a load.
Some guns just start shooting.

Last edited by dan480man; 07/30/2011 6:30 AM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod