Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's your reasoning? #91304 09/05/2011 1:52 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
bluecow said something on another post that got me to really thinking and I borrowed his words to start a discussion,hope he doesn't mind.

"its like we are drawn to the woods and lonely places in the fall."

So what is it that draws you?

I don't know that it's one thing but a few things come to mind this time of the year.Time spent with my father when he was alive, the music of excited hounds, and the solitude of time on stand, watching the sun rise on a bitter cold morning, watching nature undisturbed, providing for my family.

These are a few things that draw me in,this magical time of the year,what's yours?

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: cottonstalk] #91308 09/05/2011 3:15 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
"its like we are drawn to the woods and lonely places in the fall."

I am drawn to the woods . I need this time, to recharge,to think to be alone. I need this time to be what I am ,a hunter, to feel alive,a part of a world I truly understand.I take great joy from the animals I see ,not just the ones I take. I am never closer to the great spirit or creator than on a crisp spring or fall morning as dawn is breaking and the birds are just starting to sing. No stained glass can ever compare to the colors I see on a sunlit fall morning. I feel at, home and at peace.

junebug
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: cottonstalk] #91310 09/05/2011 3:21 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Anymore it is the comraderie of the deer camp that trumps all else. Some fellers I see but once a year, like a reunion. There are 4 decades, for myself, of memories and celebrations to recount. I don't hunt the other seasons like I once did, but those 9 days in November make up for the other 356.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: s4s4u] #91319 09/05/2011 4:48 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
I am allured by the solitude and quiet. Watching the sunrise as the world awakens causes me to ponder God's power and grace. One is given the time to think and pray in an undisturbed setting. Awaitng the prey's appearance enhances my senses as every movement and sound is noticed and analyzed. When the prey is spotted and the adrenaline begins flowing, one feels truly alive. When game is harvested one has a unique kinship with untold generations of ancient hunters as they fulfilled the circle of life. Sharing the experience with family and friends enhances the pleasure as the next generation of hunters is nurtured.
I love being able to utilize a handgun as its inherent difficulties result a sense of accomplishment.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: wheeler45] #91323 09/05/2011 6:21 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Exactly what junebug said.Couldnt have said it better.

Dave Tarbell
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Dave Tarbell] #91326 09/05/2011 7:07 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
Well said Junebug!

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: cmnash] #91330 09/05/2011 8:45 PM
357 Herrett Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
To hear and see the sounds of migrating birds, squirrels chasing each other, turkeys lifting off the roost, crunching of leaves under hoof, gun shots at first light of opening day, and to wake up to another day in GOD's world free of stress.

Last edited by leverman; 09/05/2011 8:46 PM.
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: cottonstalk] #91334 09/05/2011 9:33 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I can't sit still, and I'm 37. I have been through college, and have two degrees. I can work circles around most men in the construction trades simply because I always feel like I am amped up and running in high gear. My wife sends me outside to go play with the dogs and give them exercise. I wear out the kids in the neighborhood playing football and soccer with them till they drop. I've been asked numerous times if I have A.D.D., and I always tell them that yes, I can add. Subtract to if ya want me too!
\:D
But as I was saying... I can't sit still, let alone hold one thought...

until this time of year. THIS is my time. This is why I was born. This is my time to be in a world that understands me for who I am. This world doesn't ask me to sit still, calm down, or concentrate - that all just comes naturally now for some reason. I notice evey little detail, just like junebug. I do a lot of things just like the rest of you have stated. This is OUR TIME to do what we understand, and NEED. Thanks for sharing in this, and for sharing the same deep seated feelings about this as I do. I may not be "normal", but at least in this aspect, I am! Sure feels good to "belong".

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Raptortrapper] #91335 09/05/2011 9:47 PM
Charlie Young Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Nothing is more beautiful and wondrous than God's paint palette for the western mountains during hunting season. The golden leaves of the aspens is a glorious sight to behold. The day to day worries just can't compete with this. And when I don't draw a tag......do I miss it!

NRA Benefactor life member
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Charlie Young] #91336 09/05/2011 10:28 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
For me it's the solitude -- a time to reflect, to stop thinking about work, the bills, life in general. I love watching the forest wake up, the birds, the quiet, careful footsteps of deer moving cautiously, and then shattering the stillness and the quiet with the report of my bellowing revolver!! I just love the smell of smokeless powder, the momentary mayhem, and then the peace that settles when you walk upon the animal whose life you just took. Then I feel grateful for being alive.......

I love this time of year!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Whitworth] #91339 09/05/2011 10:51 PM
ButcheN Offline
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
For me it's the solitude -- a time to reflect, to stop thinking about work, the bills, life in general. I love watching the forest wake up, the birds, the quiet, careful footsteps of deer moving cautiously, and then shattering the stillness and the quiet with the report of my bellowing revolver!! I just love the smell of smokeless powder, the momentary mayhem, and then the peace that settles when you walk upon the animal whose life you just took. Then I feel grateful for being alive.......

I love this time of year!

you said a mouth full brother!!!! I could not put it better if I tried. God is so good to us handgun hunters.

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— - 1 Corinthians 1:4-5
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: ButcheN] #91345 09/05/2011 11:46 PM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
It is our time of the year, time to experience all that mother nature has to offer, sight's, smells and sounds---- the hunting experience,being there, living it is priceless. It pulls us ,people that don't live it just don't understand.

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Whitworth] #91351 09/06/2011 12:33 AM
Landrum Offline
journeyman
journeyman
In 2006 I only got to go four times the entire season. I simply could not get away from work. I remember being cranky and downright pissed most of that fall.

Hunting, to me, is how I recharge my life. Every fall I head to the woods and that's where I feel most at peace. It sounds cheesy and perhaps a little dramatic but it's the truth. I can think clearly when I am hunting. I'm in tune with the forest and with myself. I know what I want when I am hunting and many times solutions to life's problems are revealed when I am out in the woods.

I've been hunting all of my life. It used to be my grandfather, my father and myself. Now it's usually just me but sometimes my dad goes along. Either way, alone or with my father, I am happy when in the woods chasing deer.

I might add that I come from a long line of hunters. Almost always I am thinking of past generations that have long since passed on while I am hunting. It's a link to my heritage and hopefully, to my future as well.

Landrum

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Landrum] #91358 09/06/2011 1:11 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It's not much left to add to what's already been said, but I will add and keep it short and sweet......."Because I can!"

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: KRal] #91360 09/06/2011 1:43 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
X2 KRal

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Franchise] #91377 09/06/2011 4:56 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Some GREAT writings here; keep it up.

Because all of the above and because it grounds me and makes life slow down to it's real pace; and if I may be so bold, to God's pace. As He wanted it to be.

Sometimes I don't even want to shoot (pull the trigger) anymore. It is perfect so why cause "the mayhem."

I won, if that is what is important, either way.

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Whitworth] #91379 09/06/2011 11:25 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Whitworth said it for me too,great time to be with my wife and boys(3)!!

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: wheeler45] #91388 09/06/2011 2:01 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: wheeler45
I am allured by the solitude and quiet. Watching the sunrise as the world awakens causes me to ponder God's power and grace...

I could not have put this any better.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Dave Tarbell] #91864 09/16/2011 2:23 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are. Hunters and we want our Freedom" -Sitting Bull. - saw this quote in the buffalo bill Cody museum in Cody Wyomming - 30 years ago- sort of paraphrases the idea that regardless what we hunt, or what we hunt with, or how we hunt, we are hunters, and the part that I am most greatful for is the fact that all of you are so willing to share your experiences with the rest of us. You are a good natured bunch, sometimes you almost take yourself too seriously, then I think to myself, this is serious business, it is way too much fun to not take seriously. Used to be I bought magazines to read the exploits of Elmer and Skeeter and Bob Milek, but You guys top them all, when I think of the legends that have passed - Tigger and Skeeter and Elmer, I am greatful for the ones on this page that are still writing and sharing with me and the young ones and the newbies, we are hunters, and as much pleasure as we get in hunting, there is even more pleasure in sharing the hunts and triumps and momentary failures of others of our fraternity. yes indeed I hunt with a handgun.

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: HoggHunter] #91879 09/16/2011 12:39 PM
Mark Schronce Offline
Most has been said. Hunting camp, and the guys, is the best part. I have hand gun hunted in the past and got out of it. I just pick up a Contender 35 Rem , with a 223 barrel. It has renewed my big game hunting. I am thinking of wild boar, something I have wanted to do but have not done. It was 43 degrees this morning, I am pumped for Fall hunting. Thank for all the info.

Mark

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Mark Schronce] #91881 09/16/2011 1:08 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Mark Schronce
It was 43 degrees this morning, I am pumped for Fall hunting. Thank for all the info.

Mark

Same with me! I love the temperature drop and what it means for hunters!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: Whitworth] #91898 09/16/2011 3:20 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
For me its the solitude and most of what others have written. The biggest reason these days is a chance to sit with my kids and spend quality time enjoying something together that so many in this world will never understand. It gives me a chance to sit and listen to them and their thoughts and get a chance to re connect with them. I love my solitude, but love my kids even more. They grow up so fast and before you know it their on their own. My daughter has one more year left at home before she starts college. I'm not a man who breaks down in tears or blabbers about things, but I really don't look forward to the day she leaves. No matter which direction my kids head or who they become, I know one thing will never change, sharing a love of hunting!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: cottonstalk] #91900 09/16/2011 5:16 PM
temmi Offline
Simple,

My sons

Snake

Re: What's your reasoning? [Re: cfish2] #91929 09/17/2011 3:13 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Time with family is always precious and fleeting, it slips away so quickly as we get older. We turn around, and our children are grown, with children of there own. Love of family is the most precious thing we have! My time in the woods,alone with my thoughts runs a close second. The first hour I am like an over wound watch ,but I soon wind down to the natural rhythm of nature.Sounds are sharper, colors brighter,smells sweeter. I love just being around the animals I hunt no matter how big or small they are. When I take an animal,big or small,I have two equal emotions joy and regret,and as hunters most know what I mean. I consider myself fortunate to have seen both these emotions played out on the faces of sons, grandsons and wife, I
am truly blessed,they are hunters too.

junebug

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod