Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? #91338 09/05/2011 10:45 PM
ButcheN Offline OP
OP Offline
over the years there has been lots of guns with cylinders longer than the round: 38 special in a 357, 44 special in the mag, or the 45lc/454 in the 460,

So then why are people so worried about the 480 in the 475 linebaugh? Or the 45lc in the 410 judge? Now that last one is a long stretch but the 45Lc in the 460 is long way too.

And when you read about rifles you read to put the bullet up to the rifling to get any accuracy? Wouldn't the same be true for a revolver?

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— - 1 Corinthians 1:4-5
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: ButcheN] #91340 09/05/2011 11:19 PM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Bad thing to my mind,different bullet pull.

Dave Tarbell
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: Dave Tarbell] #91344 09/05/2011 11:39 PM
ButcheN Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Dave Tarbell
Bad thing to my mind,different bullet pull.

don't mean to be dumb but "bullet pull"????

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— - 1 Corinthians 1:4-5
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: ButcheN] #91348 09/06/2011 12:23 AM
subsonic Offline
stranger
stranger
This is just theory, but there are at least three things going on here. First is jump to rifling. I think the real factors here would be speed and cylinder pressure at the moment of rifling engraving. This would relate to how well the bullet grabs the rifling and whether or not it strips or twists.

The second thing going on is bullet support. This is probably more important as bullets get softer. There is a step in the revolver chamber where the chamber stops and the throat starts. The bullet should, ideally, fit close in the throat to avoid bullet tipping upon take-off and reduce gas blow-by. You can see this clearly by taking a bullet only and comparing how it fits in the front (throat) and the rear (chamber) of the cylinder.

Things will not improve if the bullet hits the throat or forcing cone already crooked. The gun is moving up from recoil and the bullet is moving forward from shot pressure. If it's not supported, it will not hit the throat or forcing cone straight.

By moving the bullet back by shortening the case, you are reducing support and increasing speed of engraving while making the required length of bullet longer in order to bridge the gap from case neck to throat without allowing a gap for pressure to bypass until the bullet hits the throat.

Bullet pull may change - if the throats are tight enough to resist the bullet leaving the case. You'd loose this "pull" as you back away from the throats.

Bullet pull or shot start pressure relates to how much pressure is bulit up before the bullet moves. Your major factor here is case neck tension.

Last edited by subsonic; 09/06/2011 12:33 AM.
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: ButcheN] #91354 09/06/2011 12:56 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
And when you read about rifles you read to put the bullet up to the rifling to get any accuracy? Wouldn't the same be true for a revolver?

A revolver has one thing that no rifle has, a forcing cone. Regardless of the jump to throat, the jump to the rifling is furthered by the forcing cone. The Judge and 45/410 are extreme examples and another story. The difference in case length of the 475/480, 38/357, 44/44SP, etc, are not sufficient to degrade accuracy to a significant degree, IMO, but that is relative. I would agree that bullet support in the chamber has more creedence, as well as the crud ring left by shorter cartridges. If you keep 'em clean and load 'em right they will get the job done.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: subsonic] #91356 09/06/2011 1:09 AM
ButcheN Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: subsonic
This is just theory, but there are at least three things going on here. First is jump to rifling. I think the real factors here would be speed and cylinder pressure at the moment of rifling engraving. This would relate to how well the bullet grabs the rifling and whether or not it strips or twists.

The second thing going on is bullet support. This is probably more important as bullets get softer. There is a step in the revolver chamber where the chamber stops and the throat starts. The bullet should, ideally, fit close in the throat to avoid bullet tipping upon take-off and reduce gas blow-by. You can see this clearly by taking a bullet only and comparing how it fits in the front (throat) and the rear (chamber) of the cylinder.

Things will not improve if the bullet hits the throat or forcing cone already crooked. The gun is moving up from recoil and the bullet is moving forward from shot pressure. If it's not supported, it will not hit the throat or forcing cone straight.

By moving the bullet back by shortening the case, you are reducing support and increasing speed of engraving while making the required length of bullet longer in order to bridge the gap from case neck to throat without allowing a gap for pressure to bypass until the bullet hits the throat.

Bullet pull may change - if the throats are tight enough to resist the bullet leaving the case. You'd loose this "pull" as you back away from the throats.

Bullet pull or shot start pressure relates to how much pressure is bulit up before the bullet moves. Your major factor here is case neck tension.

that makes me understand a lot of things. and I do mean a lot more than just what you said.

but if it's not a big deal on the 38/357 or the 44/mag then why is it a big deal on the 480/475. I see all your points about the "pull" but all the fuss over having a cylinder the right size for the 480 just has blown my mind.

oh and thanks I have learned a lot

Last edited by ButcheN; 09/06/2011 1:21 AM.

Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: ButcheN] #91362 09/06/2011 1:50 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
but if it's not a big deal on the 38/357 or the 44/mag then why is it a big deal on the 480/475. I see all your points about the "pull" but all the fuss over having a cylinder the right size for the 480 just has blown my mind.

The main concern is the pressure differences and possibility of pressure spikes, if not properly cleaned after shooting the shorter round: the 357 operates at around 40,000 cup; the 44 mag at around 39,000 cup; but the 475 is at 50,000 cup.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: KRal] #91370 09/06/2011 3:45 AM
Dave Tarbell Offline
addict
addict
Sorry ButcheN I misunderstood your question,should have looked better before I posted.

Dave Tarbell
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: Dave Tarbell] #91382 09/06/2011 11:34 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
If you clean your gun regularly,I would think there wouldn't be any problems,I don't have a .480 but I shoot .22 shorts out of my .22 match barrel and .38's out of my .357 and haven't had any issues ,but I clean my guns as soon as I get home.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: johnwilliams] #91397 09/06/2011 2:29 PM
ButcheN Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: johnwilliams
If you clean your gun regularly,I would think there wouldn't be any problems,I don't have a .480 but I shoot .22 shorts out of my .22 match barrel and .38's out of my .357 and haven't had any issues ,but I clean my guns as soon as I get home.

that is my point so why is every one so intent on getting a 480 cylinder for a 475 BFR? One person would not buy a 475 (they don't make a 480, per him. haven't looked) because to get a 480 he had to get a extra cylinder. One of us ask why not shoot the 480 in the 475 and he said you couldn't because of bullet jump. I am just confused. we did it all these years in the others why not the 480.........sorry it just is something I can't wrap my head around and it bugs me. A lot of the others said the same. and I know its just a short 475 look at the specks.

maybe I am just over thinking this and just do what I think and not worry about what they say. I mean every one is entitled to what he thinks, no mater how wrong he is. right?

Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: ButcheN] #91398 09/06/2011 2:54 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
 Quote:
One of us ask why not shoot the 480 in the 475 and he said you couldn't because of bullet jump. I am just confused. we did it all these years in the others why not the 480.........sorry it just is something I can't wrap my head around and it bugs me. A lot of the others said the same. and I know its just a short 475 look at the specks.

The short answer to your question is that you CAN shoot .480 Ruger ammo in the 475 Linebaugh revolver. The person who said:
 Quote:
you couldn't because of bullet jump.

was probably suggesting that accuracy would be diminished because of the longer distance that the bullet has to travel before entering the cylinder throats.

This may or may not be the case. Check out this photo from the bragging board. If I understand correctly, James from Jersey fired this group with an open sighted 475 LB at 25 yards with 480 Ruger factory ammo. (If this isn't the case, hopefully James will straighten me out.)

As others have stated, when firing the shorter cases you just need to clean the gun well afterwards.

Here's what Bob Baker of Freedom Arms says about the subject:
 Quote:
The 45 Colt is .100 shorter than the 454 Casull. When shooting the 45C in 454 chambers, lead and powder residue is left in the chamber just ahead of the case. This build up of residue can restrict chambering the longer 454 cartridge and can cause excess pressure by not allowing the crimp of the 454 to easily open up to allow the bullet to exit the case.

Another potential problem is when the revolver is cooling down after firing it collects moisture. This moisture mixed with the lead and powder residue creates an acid which can etch the chamber underneath the lead and powder residue. With this condition, even if the residue is cleaned out of the chamber, the longer 454 case will now stick in the etched area of the chamber when fired and can be difficult to remove depending on the amount of etching. Over the years we have seen this problem more from guns in high humidity areas than from low humidity areas but it still occurs in the low humidity areas.

For some folks this seems to be an emotional issue and some folks even claim that all we are trying to do make extra money on extra cylinders. What we are actually trying to do is help our customers get the most trouble free life from their FA revolver as possible. I know of some customers that have shot thousands of 45C rounds in their 454 chambers with no problems but they thoroughly clean the gun when finished shooting. Other customers have ended up with one of the above problems fairly quick also. All we can do is put out the information, it is up to the individual what they do with the information.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Last edited by Darrell H; 09/07/2011 6:37 PM.
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: Darrell H] #91461 09/07/2011 6:28 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Accuracy is never as good with the shorter brass in any revolver. But is it BAD, No, just not as good as a full length case.
Subsonic says it well.
You can shoot all the shorter brass and there is no reason to have another cylinder because all you need to do is clean chambers between different cases.
Now a long throat and distance to the forcing cone has proven to not hurt a thing. It was important long ago with the dead soft lead and some of the boolit designs used. Some gun makers still believe in it and make cylinders so short that most bullets had to be changed to seat deeper and many cast boolits will not fit.
Now take the BFR .500 S&W, the boolit has to travel about 1-1/8" to the cone. Yet it will poke one ragged hole with open sights at 25 yards.
Then the 45-70 BFR, need a flashlight to see the boolit down there. These were shot to make a sight adjustment at 50 yards. Notice there are 5 shots in 5/16". Red dot sight, cast boolit.

These are all the cast I use and groups at 50 yards from some. A few were 1/2" three shot groups and one is 10 shots. This gun will hit 1" targets at 100 yards so I will never tell you the boolit has to be at the end of the cylinder.

Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: 430man] #91465 09/07/2011 7:31 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Darrell, You were correct, that group was made with open sight 5 shot
Ruger conversion in 475L.B. firing 325gr XTP factory ammo. Never had a problem shooting "special" type ammo in "mag" handguns. However, with some of the high intensity cartridges available today it would be wise to clean the cylinders as Bob Baker states above....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #91468 09/07/2011 9:33 PM
ButcheN Offline OP
OP Offline
see that is what I been saying all along if it don't mater in the oldies then why the 480/475.......I am in total agreement with all of you. I was trying to tell him that he need not buy the extra cylinder. I think I have him talked into just getting the 475L. besides once he gets the fever of power he will go bigger, we all know it. I have already ordered me a MGM 475 6" barrel for my Encore (I know the one shooters are not a good thing to say here) for my backpack gun.

I want to thank you all for helping me help him to see the light. I never did understand why the 475/480 combo was different to his thinking.
ButcheN

Re: bullet jump in long cylinders. bad thing or not? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #91469 09/07/2011 9:35 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Darrell, You were correct, that group was made with open sight 5 shot
Ruger conversion in 475L.B. firing 325gr XTP factory ammo. Never had a problem shooting "special" type ammo in "mag" handguns. However, with some of the high intensity cartridges available today it would be wise to clean the cylinders as Bob Baker states above....

That is a very good group with open sights.
Yep, just clean the gun after shooting but to tell the truth, just clean the cylinder unless you have moisture problems.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod