Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is this abusing the Contender? #6977 01/25/2005 7:36 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Yesterday was the first time I've been shooting in over three months. Got out to the range just to check out some handloads. It was right at 30* with a breeze, so it wasn't the greatest day to be shooting, but this time of the year beggars can't be choosers..
Anyway, I shot my .444 Marlin Contender, around 25 times with my hunting loads. 270gr Speer Gold dot @ around 2110 fps. By the way, these loads show no pressure signs & are 1.5 gr below the powder manafactures max. I've probably put around 150 rounds of this power level thru the gun since I had the Pachmeyr forend off last.
I went to pull the forend after shooting, & the forend retention screw was bent, & fairly severly. I know it wasn't bent before, & I know the gun hasn't been dropped or bumped hard. I can think of nothing that could bend the screw except recoil. I guess if they can sheer scope mount screws the can bend forend screws. Has anyone else experienced this? At what point are we abusing the gun?

I also shot my 30-30 AI. It has an Ingram 15" custom barrel.
As I was shooting I noticed the forend was loose. Grabbed the allen wrench to tighten it & couldn't make any headway. Pulled it off & the forend mounting lug had pulled off. This barrel uses a single mounting lug that sat in a slight dovetail & was tack welded on the edges. Looks like it should have been a deeper dovetail or a better weld. It's fixable, but when you shoot two guns, & they both end up with problems it takes a bit of the fun out of it. Both guns were shooting well by the way.
Days like that kind of remind me why I like shooting a longbow.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6978 01/25/2005 8:12 PM
builder45 Offline
I am guilty of the same abuse. The only exception is that I destroyed two Burris 2-7x posilock scopes in under 100 rnds. I am using the 378 GNR in a 14" super 14 barrel. The first scope never made it home. I shot it twice at the gun shops range and the reticle was filled with dust and something that looked like a hair. We sent it back to the dist. The second one came about two weeks later. It survived two trips to the range. The third trip I began to notice that the reticle tube has twisted way off center. It is boxed and ready to go back to Burris.

Can you guys give me any advice on how or what to do about the scope problem besides get a smaller caliber?

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: builder45] #6979 01/25/2005 8:33 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I've been using an old TC "recoil proof" 3x on the .444 & so far it's held up fine.
What bullet weight & velocity are you seeing in the 378 GNR?

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6980 01/25/2005 8:45 PM
builder45 Offline
The load I am using is a 270 gr hornady over 56 gr or imr 3031. The load measured 2085 fps over the 35p. I was afraid the scope would move so I mounted three millet angle-loc rings on an epoxied Tsob mount. I guess there is just too much force to control.

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: builder45] #6981 01/25/2005 10:29 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Possibly posi-align rings which grip better and have more surface area than regular rings or three ring system and a 4x leupold fixed. Make sure you have two of the rings if a 3-rings system on the back half of the scope as that is where the sheer is the worse in handgun recoil (at least that is what has been explained to me).

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6982 01/25/2005 11:10 PM
Ed P 6989 Offline
Vance,
As good as Burris scopes are, I have no faith in them for hard kicking handguns. My .444 and 35-06JDJ will destroy them very quickly. The Leupold and the Bushnell 3200 Elite are holding up fine on these barrels. With a 350gr Spiral point, I'm getting 1800fps out of my 15 inch Contender. It's brutal but I haven't had any problems. Stay Safe.
Ed

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Ed P 6989] #6983 01/26/2005 2:58 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Back to my original question, has anyone had problems with bending forend retention screws?

Vance in AK.

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6984 01/26/2005 6:08 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
sorry fer hijackin the post vance, but i've had no problem on the 14" 44mag/pachmayer forearm ...yet.

did ya properly align or even lap those 3 rings? the millet angle loc rings wouldn't be my first choice. they could easily be out of alignment during mounting, and bend the scope tube when tightening down. if ya lapped them etc, they may be fine. those rings tighten from both sides, so if you were a little off, or one-sided with one er two rings, i could see scope problems arising.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: KYODE] #6985 01/26/2005 6:17 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I don't care if it gets hijacked as long as eventually we remember it's all about me!!!!
seriously, I've had no scope problem with the old TC Recoil Proof. It was builder 45 that was having scope problems.
I was thinking about sticking my 4x Burris that's on my 30-30AI on my 444, & putting the 2-7x NC Star that's on my 22 Hornet on the 30-30AI to see if it would hold up, but for now maybe I'll leave well enough alone.

Vance in AK.

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6986 01/26/2005 6:42 AM
RobR Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Vance, you will not get pressure signs (other than the bullet going out the barrel) from a .444 marlin case before you are too hot in a Contender. You might notice a slight flattening of the primer or maybe some stickiness in extraction with some chamberings, but as a general rule the Contender will max out before you get any cratering of the primer or loose primer pockets, etc, except with the .223 diameter size case head.
Your velocity is about right for a max load in the .444 if you are using a 14" barrel - max for the .375 JDJ with a 270 gr bullet is about that. Other than that you would have to go to a load book and check what pressures that load should develop (somewhere around here I have figures for max in the Contender for a .444 Marlin case but can't remember and can't find them).

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6987 01/26/2005 9:44 AM
Chief RID Offline
The only thing I can think of is a bind at the forarm rest. Is something holding the forarm when you shoot?

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6988 01/26/2005 1:12 PM
LDHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

I don't care if it gets hijacked as long as eventually we remember it's all about me!!!!

Have you considered what all this recoil is doing to the cartilage in your shooting arm? Your wrist, elbow, and shoulder are getting pounded so heavily that you will probably pay for all this recoil in severe joint problems later in life.

I also think that the Contender wasn't originally designed for this type of "abuse" and that you're pushing it beyond it's ability to withstand. I doubt that you'll suffer a blow-up although it is possible but surely you're bashing your frame etc.

Consider an Encore and/or something with less recoil but equal killing power like a 308 based round (Encore) or a 375JDJ (Contender) with a brake.

Just my opinion and certainly not mainstream school of thought in the single shot pistol world.

$bob$

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: Vance in AK.] #6989 01/26/2005 4:54 PM
Cossack Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Yes I had a screw bend when using a wooden forearm on my 45/70. I have since switched to the Pachmeyer grip and forearm on my hard kickers. It uses a hanger that attaches to the mounting lug(s). The pocket molded into the forearm slips tightly over the hanger, then a single screw holds the forearm to the hanger.
No problems since.

Re: Is this abusing the Contender? [Re: LDHunter] #6990 01/26/2005 11:23 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Thanks for all the help guys.
Rob, I've been working from data I got from Accurate Arms tech guys. Their position is that 53 gr of 1680 behind a 270 gr bullet should be max, specifically for a Contender, at TC's max pressure levels. 51.5 got me an average of 2110 fps & I think I'll stop there, or maybe even back down to 2050 fps. Like you said, if it's OK in the 375 with the same bullet weight, velocity, & case head dia., it should be OK for the 444. It is a 14"(plus the brake) barrel.
I have been miking the case webs & comparing them to factory 265 gr ammo, & am getting less than .001" difference in expansion after firing.
If I decide to chase brownies with it I may go back up to 2100 plus, but for moose & blackbear, I don't think I need that kind of velocity. Hopefully I won't loose accuracy as I loose load density.
Chief, the forend was sitting on rice bags covered with old denim pants legs, so there shouldn't have been any binding.
Bob, I have noticed a certain burn in the elbow joint after shooting a fair amount in one setting . I'm sure it can't be good for you.
The gun does have a good brake.
As for going to the 375 JDJ, I'm not sure that would help much. If I just load down 75 fps I'm comporable.

Vance in AK.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod